Replacing Stock Fan to Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 03:56 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Stock Fan to Electric Fan

Hello Everyone,

The clutch on my fan is no longer working the blades are moving with no momentum
(ie, I can stop it with my finger). I would like to replace the factory fan with dual electrics
for my SC400. Is this an easy job to perform? Do I have to void anything out on the block?
I think it's a sump driven fan?

If anyone can make a recommendation on some nice stock fitting electric fans, how difficult
it would be to install and also, almost replacement fitments would always be nice.

I also do have a question on how will the aftermarket electric fan kick in?
In terms on engine temp or does it always work irrelevant of engine temp.

Thanks in Advance,

Nick from Toronto.
Old 06-23-15, 07:51 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Nick,

I don't have a stock SC400, so I can't give any recommendations for fans, but I do have a turbo SC400 and have electric fans that I installed. I have a relay for each fan. One relay is wired to ignition power so that the fan is always on. The other relay is energized by a thermocouple which is mounted to an adapter on the radiator feed line so that it kicks on when up to temp. I have a fused power distribution block to come off of the battery and provide fused power for each fan. The fans can mount to the radiator with an electric fan mounting kit. This kit will have springs, and a sort of zip tie that gets pushed through the radiator and then affixed on the other side.

As far as fan selection, just try to find the fan(s) with the highest airflow and largest surface area that will fit on the radiator. Preferably, you find a setup that includes a shroud because it will help utilize the entire surface area of the radiator. You also may or may not need an upgraded alternator because these fans draw a ton of current..

Keith
Old 06-23-15, 08:58 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no clutch on the SC400 fan. It's all hydraulic. Check your fan fluid.
Old 06-23-15, 10:46 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The IS300 dual electric fan assembly is one of the best and most reliable you can get if you want to get rid of the mechanical setup.

However, I agree with pogoism. It's best to check your hydraulic setup before you go to into changing everything completely. Believe it or not the mechanical fan actually flows quite well.
Old 06-24-15, 03:53 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Hey Nick,
I have a relay for each fan. One relay is wired to ignition power so that the fan is always on. The other relay is energized by a thermocouple which is mounted to an adapter on the radiator feed line so that it kicks on when up to temp. I have a fused power distribution block to come off of the battery and provide fused power for each fan.
Keith
I filled the mechanical fan up with ATF today and went for a drive. Good news is that my engine is not making steam any more. It's not a blown headgasket, as it only happens when the engine gets hotter than normal (ie, city traffic), and the fan does not kick in. And there is no symptoms of a blown gasket (ie, white smoke, misfire, water mixture in oil dipstick)

Bad news is that the fan is not putting out much draw and runs at constant rpms. It for sure has to be replaced. As I have plans for this car, I might as well go with a stainless steel rad and electric fan combination. If you gents can provide me with some proven combination of Rad and Electric Fan Assembly (ie, fans, relays, temp sensors). It would be greatly appreciate. Pics are always good

I know all the FI projects list their cooling setup however, give little detail into the different parts.

Thanks in Advance,

Nick from Toronto
Old 06-24-15, 03:53 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The IS300 dual electric fan assembly is one of the best and most reliable you can get if you want to get rid of the mechanical setup.
echanical fan actually flows quite well.
This sounds interesting. Any idea of parts list and pricing?

N.
Old 06-24-15, 03:55 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Koyo vs PWR. I remember one of them were causing problems and had quality issues. Not sure which one.
Old 06-24-15, 04:00 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

I think Ryan (SC400TT) went with flex-a-lite 210. Would love to know more specifics about his cooling setup and how it met his needs.
Old 06-24-15, 04:14 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Koyo vs PWR. I remember one of them were causing problems and had quality issues. Not sure which one.
Old 06-25-15, 02:10 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by rollexus
This sounds interesting. Any idea of parts list and pricing?

N.
IS300 OEM electric fans:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...minum-radiator

All I have on it at the moment. Laid up with a cold and can't get into it more right now. I understand that PHR made some specific harness adapter parts for these for MKIVs though.
Old 06-25-15, 05:58 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't mean to take away business from any shop or whoever but if you want to save money on the harness and can do some wiring , here is a thread where I outlined how to wire the IS300 fans. I have them on my Red Mamba One.... best electric fans out there in my opinion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...fans-help.html
Old 06-25-15, 07:32 PM
KahnBB6

Gerrb, you are amazing! I didn't know you'd made a wiring thread for those fans as well
Old 06-25-15, 09:04 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I filled the mechanical fan up with ATF today and went for a drive. Good news is that my engine is not making steam any more. It's not a blown headgasket, as it only happens when the engine gets hotter than normal (ie, city traffic), and the fan does not kick in. And there is no symptoms of a blown gasket (ie, white smoke, misfire, water mixture in oil dipstick)

Bad news is that the fan is not putting out much draw and runs at constant rpms. It for sure has to be replaced. As I have plans for this car, I might as well go with a stainless steel rad and electric fan combination. If you gents can provide me with some proven combination of Rad and Electric Fan Assembly (ie, fans, relays, temp sensors). It would be greatly appreciate. Pics are always good

I know all the FI projects list their cooling setup however, give little detail into the different parts.

Thanks in Advance,

Nick from Toronto
Recently I had similar problem. Since you started the thread with a quest for electric fan, I did not chime in earlier. It seems you want to try to fix the problem ,,, so here goes

There is test point jumper that you can use and see if the hydraulic pump kicks in at full speed and yes it blows up a storm. I will post the link here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eeping-up.html

Feel free to pm me to discuss further.

post #1 has the test points.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-25-15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 06:58 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Hello Gerr,

Can you please make me a harness and bring it with you when you visit us here?
Don't worry about the cost...

N

[QUOTE=gerrb;9089347]I don't mean to take away business from any shop or whoever but if you want to save money on the harness and can do some wiring , here is a thread where I outlined how to wire the IS300 fans. I have them on my Red Mamba One.... best electric fans out there in my opinion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...fans-help.html[/QUOTE
Old 06-26-15, 12:09 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Gerrb, you are amazing! I didn't know you'd made a wiring thread for those fans as well
You are welcome buddy ! Just trying to help .

Hello Gerr,

Can you please make me a harness and bring it with you when you visit us here?
Don't worry about the cost...

N
Nick - you or a friend of yours should be able to do that with the diagrams I laid out on that thread . Trust me , it is not hard. Feel free to send me a PM or post on that thread if you have questions. Just call my attention if I miss the thread with your questions.

I will try my best to visit you on my trip to Canada but no promises since my trip to Ontario had been cut short. Need to go to BC also, best place for me in the whole world !!! Love that place.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-26-15 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Fan to Electric Fan