SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help: Rust Removal

Old 05-26-15, 10:13 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Rust Removal

I just picked up a 95 Sc 5speed. 97k miles, still a young lady. But its got rust. Oh the god awful rust.

I can get the outside of the car rust cleaned up and painted for not to much money, but they lifted the car and there is rust every where on the bottom.

Guy told me to sell it and buy another. I don't want the hassle i like the car and the engine and transmission are butter.

I want to know if there is some sort of solution (spray, brush-on...) that i can use. I would lift up the car take off all the tires and go to town on the rust. i was thinking of using a wire brush and a drill to clean it up but it would take forever and i don't have a lift to get it high enough for easy access.

I need something that would eat away the rust that i can wash off in a car wash or with a hose. and easy to apply.

if you know what i can use please let me know. i don't want to lose this car, and replacing everything is just to expensive. some items will be replaced but the less repair the better.

please let me know i couldn't really find anyone who used a product and swears by it and every thread in every forum starts going off track really fast.

Also i don't want to take anything apart if i don't have to, because i don't have a garage to do it in.
Old 05-26-15, 10:54 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Show us some pics of the rust......hard to tell....is it surface rust? or did it eat through the metal?

The only way to completely eliminate the rust form coming back is to cut out the bad areas and replace it with new metal...
Old 05-26-15, 12:01 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

if its surface rust get a shop to sandblast it and spray on some rust inhibitor.

If the rust has gone through the metal you will have to cut and weld new metal on.
Old 05-26-15, 12:07 PM
xshurikx
Driver

i cant show pictures of under the car i thinks its mild to medium rust meaning it looks like its going to eat through if i don't get rid of it. i don't care about the panels that i will tackle later. i don't want the control arm to snap or the engine bracket to crack in half and lose it going down the highway.

what would be a good solution? i read some additional stuff online about a paste, a liquid roll/brush on option. rust-o-lium has a few options also that converts rust to metal.
Old 05-26-15, 12:33 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by xshurikx
i cant show pictures of under the car i thinks its mild to medium rust meaning it looks like its going to eat through if i don't get rid of it. i don't care about the panels that i will tackle later. i don't want the control arm to snap or the engine bracket to crack in half and lose it going down the highway.

what would be a good solution? i read some additional stuff online about a paste, a liquid roll/brush on option. rust-o-lium has a few options also that converts rust to metal.
Nothing converts rust to metal, rust is oxidized metal and only way to get it back to metal is to melt it lol. If you have holes in the bottom of your car, no rust inhibitor or anything will fix that, only thing to do is weld new metal in.
Old 05-26-15, 01:27 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the car must of been by the beach or salt roads
Old 05-26-15, 02:28 PM
xshurikx
Driver

No holes it's surface rust on the under body
Old 05-26-15, 02:55 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put up some pics, I'm curious as to how bad it is. Recently got my inspection and they guy said my car probably won't pass next year due to the rust on the front crossmember. The rest of the car isn't too bad, but for some reason it's like acid hit the crossmember and it's chewing a hole in it.
Old 05-26-15, 04:08 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

something people who live near salt water or snowy places(mag chloride) deal with not much you can do but cut out/sandblast/chemicaly remove completly and apply rubberized undercoating.
my sc is from florida and suprisingly has almost none. I had a subaru that was litterally a rust bucket nicknamed swiss-cheese. the wheel wells were almost non existant, made patches from a old solid filing cabinet still drove through anything so it cant be that bad.. pics would be nice to get more opinions than "just sell it"

Last edited by SCstone; 05-26-15 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 08:46 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's truly surface rust and you don't have holes or significant structural damage the product I'd recommend is called POR-15. You just kind of knock off the loose rust/metal with a wire brush and then paint it on. You don't want the affected area to be completely clean as POR-15 actually needs a small amount of rust to bond to. It's a good product and is used by many in car restorations.
Old 05-27-15, 08:55 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes. You really need to try & post up some pics.
Old 05-27-15, 01:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

toyota has some stuff its similar to the por 15 or the same not really sure they put it under the beds of trucks after the whole tacoma tundra rusting out the rear frames and having to be replaced under warranty. if you dont have holes, they will clean it up and apply the coating, but if yours is already shot, they will replace the whole frame on the trucks. I think they now apply the coating alot earlier.

Definitely do yourself a favor in the future get underneath the car before buying it and see what it looks like. even if you still want the car, having rust underneath is something that affects the price, alot.
Old 05-27-15, 01:51 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

rust is cancer to cars.

it will eventually get worse. if it's all on the underside of your car, then it's no good. it'll weaken it to the point where you'll scrape something, and the whole panel just breaks.

take the engine and trans out, junk the shell, and buy another one.
Old 05-28-15, 06:17 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Old 05-28-15, 09:20 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

wow the first 2 pictures I was like ok its not the cars frame just the engine and trans componenets are rusty, but then the whole front subframe and the suspension arms and where they mount to are all rusted up, and it doesn't look like surface rust either. I think your mechanic was right you should find a new shell. lucky your transmission is 90% aluminum or it would be as rusty as that steel center sandwhich plate in the middle of it.

byt the time you replace all those things you would have probably bought another SC, and even if you replace them all you need to make sure the places they mount the metal is still good, or its just a future accident waiting to happen. you at least need a new subframe, lower control arms, fuel filter, probably new fuel lines cause they will break upon removal, anything else that looks rusty that can be replaced. it already looks like an accident waiting to happen that is not light surface rust I would be concerned about the front subframe breaking something when loaded hard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help: Rust Removal