Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 11:38 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces

Hey everyone, I'm embarking on a journey to create the ultimate refreshed set of headlights. I want to do them in the best way possible that still lets you know the car is a luxury car and not some ricey tuner. This is where I need your help. Sometimes you come up with an idea that you think is amazing but the cloud you build around the truth doesn't let you see it as it is. So I want ya'll to help figure out what looks cool yet still maintains a classiness. The style lines will be done like the audi ones where it's a continuous beam of light
Attached Thumbnails Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-sc400-headlight-1.jpg   Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-sc400-headlight-2.jpg   Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-sc400-headlight-angel-eye.jpg   Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-chevy-cruze-projector-headlight-with-fiber-optics.jpg  
Old 05-24-15, 08:05 AM
amckoy96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll say go for it.me personally I'm too scared to rip my headlights open,well until I can get my hands on another set.
Old 05-24-15, 08:19 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you really want to do this the right way and not end up looking rice, there are so many factors to consider that make the LED "eyeliner" look look good in new cars that is very hard to replicate in our headlights' particular design. You have to properly diffuse the light so it doesn't look blinding to on comers and people looking at it. It needs to look as if it was designed like that from the factory, not a hack job just glued on by a kid; meaning a lot of custom molding and stuff that will make it look like it truly belongs in there. It needs to flow seamlessly with the rest of the lights; high beams and fog lights - well, with the rest of the SC's design cues.

Personally, I don't think it will ever look right because; of how our high beams is separate form the low, the shape of our headlights(oval and curvaceous while most new cars with the eyeliner look are aggressive with a lot of angles), and the lined lenses, and reflectors.
Old 05-24-15, 08:30 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Not to discourage you mayanator -- I'll say "LED on bottom" if doing the strip -- but I was thinking last week about classic cars and SCs, which are generally praised for their timeless design and best potential to be a Japanese "classic" at some point. When it comes to true classics, the last thing people want is to modernize the look. They may update running components, but they want to keep it looking as period-correct as possible. Heck, on the Miata which is heavily inspired by the classics, most mods are to make the car look older, not newer.

Which brings us to the SC. The vast majority of mods are focused on modernizing the look of the car, while in the same breath directly or indirectly bashing the Honda / ricer crowd. I'm not saying don't do what you like with the car, but it sure seems like a contradictory path to follow.
Old 05-24-15, 09:17 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I should add, it's not just a matter of updating head and tail lights to LEDs. It's also stuff within the SC platform, like '92-94 tails < '95-96 tails < '97 tails, even though '97s are the ugliest of the lot as far as I'm concerned, and '97+ body kits on nearly every earlier model. There's just this weird trend toward newer is better no matter what, despite it being somewhat at odds with the nature of the car.
Old 05-24-15, 12:56 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly recommend looking at SC400TT and what he has done with the headlights on his car. It looks fantastic.
Old 05-24-15, 02:34 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

KingPhilip, trust me I'm not just gonna throw on a set of walmart party lights with superglue, if I end up doing this. I've found a company that sells moldable led light tubes that give a continuous soft white light, like the brand new audi a5 refresh. As far as molding it into the headlight I'm working on designing it so it has clean entry and exit points and has a good surface to lay into.

t2d2, don't be afraid to say how you see it. I feel the same way as you, that's why I'm looking into every option possible. I want to refresh the lights wothout ruining the flow of the car. And as far as tail lights go I have something in my personal skunkworks that should look very good and go with the headlights.

Also here's another line I drew up. I got inspiration from the new Jag XF refresh. The leds would have the same exact effect as the Jag too.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-sc400-headlight-3.jpg   Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-2015-xf-drl.jpeg  

Last edited by maynanator; 05-24-15 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 03:17 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
KingPhilip, trust me I'm not just gonna throw on a set of walmart party lights with superglue, if I end up doing this. I've found a company that sells moldable led light tubes that give a continuous soft white light, like the brand new audi a5 refresh. As far as molding it into the headlight I'm working on designing it so it has clean entry and exit points and has a good surface to lay into.

t2d2, don't be afraid to say how you see it. I feel the same way as you, that's why I'm looking into every option possible. I want to refresh the lights wothout ruining the flow of the car. And as far as tail lights go I have something in my personal skunkworks that should look very good and go with the headlights.

Also here's another line I drew up. I got inspiration from the new Jag XF refresh. The leds would have the same exact effect as the Jag too.
I like this one best, I feel it flows with the car better then the other ways you posted. I'd love to see you do this, and post pics of all the work.
Old 05-24-15, 06:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maynanator
It's all good, I was speaking in general terms, not directed at you. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

How about a short hook on the inside, pointing up, to lend some symmetry? It might end up looking like a lazy eye with the way you've got it drawn.
Old 05-24-15, 07:16 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

I meant that truly, not sarcastically. I want to know what people really think, otherwise I could easily do something that looks awful and not realize it until it's done. I drew up a hook on the inner side and it didn't look quite right like there was too much going on. Gonna keep trying out new ideas until I find something that works

Last edited by maynanator; 05-24-15 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 10:32 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

It's cool, I followed ya.

The reason I suggested the inner hook is because SC headlights are thicker on the inner (toward the highs) portion than the Jag headlight. I think it'll need something to fill that space and keep the more decorated (with LEDs) and thinner outer portion from looking cluttered. What about varying the width of the LED strip to accommodate the different shapes of the lens?
Old 05-24-15, 11:35 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

That would be a bit hard to do and at that point I'd have to fabricate a custom light box in the exact shape.
Old 05-24-15, 11:59 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

What about this line? I think it compliments the shape of the headlight like you were talking about. This one goes all the way across the top which I think helps
Attached Thumbnails Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-sc300-ab-flug-custom-daytime-2.jpg   Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces-sc300-ab-flug-custom-night-2.jpg  

Last edited by maynanator; 05-25-15 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-25-15, 08:40 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yeah, that one does accentuate the shape a bit better, but it seems incomplete on the lower portion. I tried adding a lower/inner hook to it but that looks cluttered. I suspect that's a compromise that's going to end up being in ever design... SC headlights are sort of that rounded, organic look. Newer headlights tend toward the over-styled angry slits, which seem more conducive to LED strips.
Old 05-25-15, 09:35 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Yeah, I may just scrap the project. Seems nearly impossible to find a good design and I'd rather not spend the money on parts that I'd just end up throwing away

Quick Reply: Custom Headlights: Need your input before I tear mine to pieces