Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Steering issue

Old 05-23-15, 04:44 PM   #1
yauny
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Steering issue

96 sc400 Was driving yesterday in the ran. (Not that bad) was at a red light proceeded to make a slight left hand turn and light throttle and rear end fish tailed and lost full control and almost hit someone. The steering wheel is always in different positions after a turn or a bump and I checked all suspension parts and all seem to be good but dont know what else could be the problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by yauny; 05-23-15 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: car year
yauny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 05:45 PM   #2
k7q
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (28)

Sounds like the bushings on the rack & pinion is going out. Maybe the lower control arm also. Had that happen to a customer SC.

Last edited by k7q; 05-23-15 at 07:49 PM..
k7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 10:41 AM   #3
salimshah

do you have Trac control?

Slight rain after a dry period is the worst condition for driving. With the rear wheel drive and v8 the car becomes very touchy.

When I drive my son's SC ['95 400 with no trac] on wet roads, I use feather weight on throttle and hold on to my seat with imaginary muscles.

Salim
salimshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 12:30 PM   #4
t2d2
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

You may have alignment issues, also. My SC was the most terrifying thing I've ever driven in heavy rain, by a magnitude of several hundred, being absolutely uncontrollable in standing water on the highway. I've never had an issue with holding steady through hydroplaning on any other car. And we get lots of practice driving in the rain here! Turns out the alignment was all out of whack from the previous owner, despite tracking very straight. After getting it aligned, the car has been very smooth and predictable in bad weather.
Old 05-24-15, 12:38 PM   #5
TokinSC400
Driver School Candidate

Michael Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauny View Post
96 sc400 Was driving yesterday in the ran. (Not that bad) was at a red light proceeded to make a slight left hand turn and light throttle and rear end fish tailed and lost full control and almost hit someone. The steering wheel is always in different positions after a turn or a bump and I checked all suspension parts and all seem to be good but dont know what else could be the problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated
Sounds like your rack bushings are gone. My 95 SC400 was like that when i first got it. I got my bushings off EBay and they are Whiteline. So far I don't have any complaints out of them. They was around $30 I believe.
TokinSC400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #6
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauny View Post
+1 for rack bushings or that main bolt on the rack. Tighten that bolt first. The fix could be free. When I got my 400, I had the same issue. It was that bolt.

Studiogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #7
SCstone
Pole Position

+1 rack bushings/bracket bolt. had same common issuse when I got mine. if your rack is fine just the bushings and/or bracket.
SCstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM