SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Digital Or Standard HID Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 10:12 AM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Digital Or Standard HID Kit?

Ok guys, ordering a bunch of different crap for my car tomorrow including a set of HID for the low beams. I'm wondering do I have to order a standard ballast or a digital one? I know we have a light that lets us know when the lights are out, but I don't know if it's only for the tails or if it works with the front lights too. Help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 05-19-15, 12:02 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have just normal HID and they are a very good upgrade compare to the stock bulbs , only 25 dollar with 5000k color temp
the warning light for a broken bulb is for the rear only
Old 05-19-15, 12:27 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HID kits are crap. they are all cheap chinese junk.

you also need the right projectors.

get some 85W low beam HIR bulbs, along with a harness.

that will project light much better.
Old 05-19-15, 01:04 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irondonkey
HID kits are crap. they are all cheap chinese junk.

you also need the right projectors.

get some 85W low beam HIR bulbs, along with a harness.

that will project light much better.
our headlights have the right projectors
many owners are very happy with the HID upgrade , even 35w

ofc you can throw in some lighthouse lights but you also have to consider to not blind your fellow drivers
Old 05-19-15, 01:21 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

HID projectors=/= halogen projectors.
Old 05-19-15, 03:40 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc400NL
our headlights have the right projectors
many owners are very happy with the HID upgrade , even 35w

ofc you can throw in some lighthouse lights but you also have to consider to not blind your fellow drivers
Our headlights don't have the right projectors. But I wouldn't go so far as to say all HID kits are crap. HID's can be an upgrade in the stock halogen projectors, but not as much as HID's in a proper xenon projector.

As far as the difference between digital and analog ballasts, when implemented correctly digital ballasts can filter out more unwanted voltage variations than an analog ballast can. It should also be more efficient and provide a more stable source of power and control current with a bit more precision as the bulb ages. As bulbs age they require varying levels of current to ignite the salts, and digital ballasts can follow these variation a bit better than analog ballasts.

However, all of that being said I wouldn't consider every digital ballast to be better than every analog ballast. It's very important to find reviews and info from people who have used the ballasts you want over the course of a few years. Compare price to average length of ownership. Obviously if you go with a legit OEM-level replacement you're going to pay well but should get 5+ years out of them, with some units reaching 10 years without needing new bulbs or replacement ballasts. Brands like those would be Phillips, Osram, Denso, Matsuhita, or Morimoto. Proven brands like these can sell anywhere from $250 a set to as much as $600 a set. But they're definitely worth it in my mind.
Or you can go with some of the lower level replacements that aren't going to be lasting 10 years, but also are going to cost a lot less. Some of the Chinese HID manufacturers aren't too bad IMO, a set of bulbs and ballasts can go for anywhere from $30-$70 and last 1-2 years, even as long as 3 years, but typically have more DOA (Defective on Arrival) rates than OEM quality replacements. However if you're not looking to spend as much this can definitely be a sensible way to go so long as you are prepared and have the means to mitigate downtime.

Sorry that got a bit long, but digital vs analog isn't such a big deal as the brand you're buying.
Old 05-20-15, 08:16 AM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the insight guys!!
Old 05-22-15, 04:39 PM
SpraSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Don't buy those cheap hid kits. If you want to have hid then do a retro fit.
I had E46 hids installed in my car 7yrs ago. I bought the hids off an online auction site and I think I sent it to hidillusionz to do the retrofit.