SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 10:06 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I use the yellow puralotor pureone for a toyota v8. its like the one for the sc300 but almost twice as long.
I also use it on the GX470 and the RX300. its just a really good filter that fits on all my toyota's.
I would also use the factory toyota one for a v8 listed above but i prefer the puralotor pureone it is actually supposed to filter better than average.
what's the model of it, or number or whatever? i'm looking on amazon but there's so many different types
Old 04-23-15, 12:01 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irondonkey
they have one that filters 15k miles
Yup, the Ea filters, thats what I use. Change every 8-10k miles depending on how I feel. They're excellent and rated fro 15k miles and crazy efficient. I try not to think too hard about them because it's just an oil filter after all, but I've been nothing but impressed with them so far.
Old 04-23-15, 09:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
what's the model of it, or number or whatever? i'm looking on amazon but there's so many different types
Just went and looked at it its a Pl20195. I read about it on supraforums.
its like the v8 filter listed above just the Purolator pureone brand.
I really like the texture on it, it makes it so much easier to grip when it comes time to remove it, the toyota ones are shiny they like to just slip once a little oil gets on them.

the stock size one for the v6 or I6 is a PL10241, but its so small I don't like to use them anymore.
the only thing that would stop me from using the longer filter on a vehicle is if its too long to fit, but haven't had that problem yet.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-23-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 08:10 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Just went and looked at it its a Pl20195. I read about it on supraforums.
its like the v8 filter listed above just the Purolator pureone brand.
I really like the texture on it, it makes it so much easier to grip when it comes time to remove it, the toyota ones are shiny they like to just slip once a little oil gets on them.

the stock size one for the v6 or I6 is a PL10241, but its so small I don't like to use them anymore.
the only thing that would stop me from using the longer filter on a vehicle is if its too long to fit, but haven't had that problem yet.
is the PL20195 for synthetic? i run full synthetic and the PSL10241 says it's full synthetic, don't know if that really makes a difference or not.
Old 04-24-15, 08:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I am running full synthetic mobil one in all my cars 5-30 on the dailies year round, sc300 gets 10-30 in summer and 5-30 in winter (not that It sees much winter use but that what it gets).
I have never heard of it being rated for synthetic or not, I would be shocked if you couldn't use it with synthetic its probably just something they put on the label to make you feel nice and warm Tommy boy style.

I did notice the one you listed is not the pure one line. do note that some of their other filters are basically off the shelf filters like fram etc.. its the pureone line that had the better filtration, and after some reading online it seems the "synthetic" line might be the latest and best version. I have been using only the pureone for years after I read about it and I don't have a single complaint about them. the added texture and color is actually quite a nice addition.

for example you can find the PSL20195 which says synthetic but its not the pureone line. difference seems to be the "s" in the part number.
apparently this synthetic one is their latest, I didn't even know they had one of these, but its saying its like the pureone but has metal backed pleats, and looks to be more expensive $10 vs $8 online.

I guess it would be fine to use that one also with synthetic oil, maybe even better than the pureone (will have to do more reading on it, thanks for mentioning it).
It would probably be a good filter but the PL20195 is probably easier to find at the store.

I would use toyota filters but who wants to drive there all the time. getting the bulk of 10 online is a good deal I would certainly consider that in the future but I like the pureone.
I had been using the smaller version but just recently went to the v8 size, the bigger filter seems to be a better match especially for turbo users.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-24-15 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 10:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I mentioned about the oil on the filter, I have gloves and am well aware how to remove a regular filter even with oil on it lol, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a company that makes an easy to grip oil filter.
I can have my hand covered in oil and still get a good grip on the thing.
Old 04-24-15, 11:48 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSXMike
LOL, wow I can't believe some of you go 15K miles before changing oil. Thanks for posting, now I know to never buy your car if I see it posted in the FS section.
Nobody said they go 15k miles every change.
I said that my filters and oil are rated for 15k intervals, but I do them every 8k. My oil looks like it's only been in for 3k when i do my changes and I've never had any problems. I'd swear by AMSOil products if I could, they make excellent fluids, and I use them everywhere. If I hadn't already done my tranny and diff when I bought the car they'd be AMSOil too.

Have you used AMSOil products, do you maybe know something I don't or are you just ragging on me based on what you think?
Old 04-24-15, 02:03 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

The abnormal thing is actually changing oil every 3k miles. People in Europe, where i lived, change their oil every 8-15k miles, my dad thinks people here are insane for changing their oil so often, or maybe the oil just sucks, I'll be trying amsoil from now on because I'm sick of oil looking like garbage after 3k miles. There's something really wrong about the oil here, and i use Mobil 1.
Old 04-24-15, 02:12 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Do you know the ingredients in amsoil? How can you swear by something without knowing what's in it? Or without ever having done an oil analysis test?
No, I do not know the ingredients, nor have I done an oil analysis. Maybe you are right, maybe this is something I should have done on my next oil change just to see what kind of results I get. It can't hurt to know more. I think I will do exactly that, and maybe I will even post about it. If I'm indeed in the wrong here I'll definitely adjust my oil change intervals for a more healthy interval for my engine life. I'm only about 2k in on this current interval right now.
Old 04-24-15, 04:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Toyota OEM oil filter all day long. Even on the boosted JZ's, I used them... No Comparison, IMO.
Old 04-24-15, 10:49 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are PLENTY of oil analysis on the amsoil motor oils.

the signature series is guaranteed up to 25k miles. 15k miles for the first time the motor is using the amsoil motor oil.

just because your motor oil is dirty at 3k miles, doesn't mean it's bad. what it actually means, is that your filtration sucks. properties of the oil itself have not been lost. honestly, you can run more than one oil filter, you just have to run an adapter plate, and AN lines. you can have 2,3,4 oil filters if you really wanted to.

amsoils uses their own blend of synthetic, which is why no one knows the formula. just like coca-cola, it's their trade secret.

just read through the features of what the Signature series oil can bring, and you'll see that it can handle much harsher conditions than other motor oils.

there are maybe a handful motor oils that are a true class 4 synthetic, amsoil being one of them.

my next oil change will be with the amsoil signature series.
Old 04-26-15, 07:35 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irondonkey
yellow pureone purelator.

99.9% efficiency at 20 microns.
^^^This, it's the only one I use on mine.
Old 04-27-15, 05:25 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
The abnormal thing is actually changing oil every 3k miles. People in Europe, where i lived, change their oil every 8-15k miles, my dad thinks people here are insane for changing their oil so often, or maybe the oil just sucks, I'll be trying amsoil from now on because I'm sick of oil looking like garbage after 3k miles. There's something really wrong about the oil here, and i use Mobil 1.
i can confirm that , over here we change oil at 10k km or once a year including the filter who we buy at toyota or a autoparts store and i mean our cars not the modern cars , they need a service every 25k km
(15,5 k Miles)

i think changing oil every 3000 miles (4500 km) is a waste of moneyand oil and bad for the environment
normally you would only change that if you tow big trailers

btw i use 90915-YZZD3 because i honest believe that OEM filters are the best
Old 05-05-15, 07:54 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

ordered some amsoil from a dealer, will order the purelator once i get paid again lol. amsoil ain't cheap, bought 10 quarts.