SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-15, 04:10 PM
Sc4more
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sc400tt. My God. Beautiful work sir. I'd love to hear what that sounds like. Beautiful work.
Old 06-13-15, 05:54 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, you should go 1UZ again, another look at it all. its the key to figuring out the whole formula.

realizing what was needed and what was optional
Old 06-13-15, 09:40 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

More pics of my build...
Attached Thumbnails Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5315.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5313.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5316.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5317.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_2258.jpg  

Old 06-14-15, 06:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Scott - I don't doubt you will make it happen again . You are one of the few who argued and defended the boosted SC400 and proven it by having one. It wasn't cheap as per your experience but have proven your love and dedication for the SC400. Your actions speak louder than your words , Kudos to you my friend !

I wish there would be more of you in the UZFE world . ..having boosted SC400. There was a time that David, owner of Lextreme really wanted to do R&D for the uzfe and develop aftermarket parts for it cause he dearly love the V8s that's why he has Lextreme. Unfortunately , he himself said it , "No offense meant to anyone but Most Lexus owners are cheap ." meaning a lot of Lexus owners would like a fast car but are not willing to pay. In the performance world , you got to pay to play . You get what you pay for. Reason why , just trying to extract 600rwhp from a UZFE now is so expensive. Everything basically needs to be fabricated for one's specs. Well at least Lextreme came out with aftermarket rods to support more since as mentioned there many times, "The stock rods can handle about 450-500 rwhp but they still run the chance of literally breaking on you."

I really do hope , we see more boosted SC400s in the Build Section. They don't have to make >+500rwhp. Just seeing them transformed from stock to boosted will be really nice.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-14-15 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-14-15, 07:58 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
I wish there would have been more of you locally in the UZFE world in the past . There was a time that David, owner of Lextreme really wanted to do R&D for the uzfe and develop aftermarket parts for it cause he dearly love the V8s that's why he has Lextreme. Unfortunately , he himself said it, "Most Lexus owners are cheap ."
You've repeated that a few times now, and I've been biting my tongue because I know responding to it will offend some people... The thing is, as great of a resource as Lextreme is for 1UZ performance, it's pretty much an incomprehensible site/company/person/whatever. Every time Lexus owners are blamed for being too cheap or 3rd party companies are blamed for not being interested in manufacturing his R&D'd parts, I can only shake my head because communication is the underlying issue.

I never know if the non-forum pages on the site are Lextreme's own stuff or contributions by members. They seem more like tutorials, but then stuff will randomly be thrown in about taking down payments on kit development. It's difficult to even find links to the forum if you don't have it bookmarked. It's impossible to tell if things like the torque converter are still being produced. Nothing about it inspires confidence.

I've said it before, a low-boost "kit" should be very affordable if someone with good communication skills and industry connections is serious about it. The talk of building $30k systems and then calling Lexus owners cheap for not being all over that is just plain crazy. 6 psi, flip the headers, no IC or fuel mods... Get a crossover pipe fabbed up and let people mount the turbo of their choosing. You could sell 1,000 of those and make $100 per, instead of selling one at $30k and making several grand per.

Once that interest level is established and more people are playing the boosted 1UZ game, then you explore higher power, higher-$$$ options. Anything else is just asking for failure.
Old 06-14-15, 08:07 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by t2d2
I've said it before, a low-boost "kit" should be very affordable if someone with good communication skills and industry connections is serious about it. The talk of building $30k systems and then calling Lexus owners cheap for not being all over that is just plain crazy. 6 psi, flip the headers, no IC or fuel mods... Get a crossover pipe fabbed up and let people mount the turbo of their choosing. You could sell 1,000 of those and make $100 per, instead of selling one at $30k and making several grand per.

Once that interest level is established and more people are playing the boosted 1UZ game, then you explore higher power, higher-$$$ options. Anything else is just asking for failure.

t2d2 - got a suggestion for you. Base on what you say , you seem to know well the Lexus owners, the market and the UZFE. I am getting the impression that you are a very successful enterpreneur and have been working with the UZFE for a very long time . My guess is David had been working on them for only 15 years give or take . Everything looks so easy base on what you say. Apparently most of these manufacturers or people in the performance world are idiots and did not get it in spite of 25 years that the engine is in existence if I will have to believe in what you say.

Can you put in your build thread , all your ideas since you have an SC400 ? Show detailed work and costs involved (parts and labor) bearing in mind that 98% of people who wants a boosted car needs to pay someone to do it. Show them a running car . Show every one , all these people how to do it, how to make money on these 1UZFE for which many didn't get it. Before you know it , your are making millions that these idiots didn't get . They see a running example , then all those with the 1UZFE be encouraged "to play the boosted 1UZ game" as you said. There are tons of 1UZFE owners that may buy your kit. Or maybe partner with these idiot manufacturers who never got it if they indeed see your example that can make money.

Based on what I know about what David had done so far for the UZFE community , he is one of the best resource when it comes to the UZFE. He had spent his own time and money to help further the knowledge about the 1UZFE. You seem to belittle him so much and as I have said , " show them " , "actions speak louder than words" which by the way those where quoted by David too and I stand by them.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-14-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 08:16 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sc4more
Sc400tt. My God. Beautiful work sir. I'd love to hear what that sounds like. Beautiful work.
Thank you so much. It was a great learning experience. If you want to see the build search this forum for Project Car SC400TT Stage 1 and then Stage 2.

Originally Posted by PseudoK
I agree, you should go 1UZ again, another look at it all. its the key to figuring out the whole formula.

realizing what was needed and what was optional
I know of more than 1 guy that bent the rods at around 500 or so WHP...We're gonna see if we can get there and stay there without bending the rods or melting a piston...Key is to get a really good tune, Dial in the fuel set up very precisely, decide on whether or not to use e85, decide on what manual to use and what diff. Still won't be as cheap as a street car...Because a drift car has to be built to drift...But, this should give us a good idea as to how to go about it.

Scott - I don't doubt you will make it happen again . You are one of the few who argued and defended the boosted SC400 and made it happen. It wasn't cheap as per your experience but have proven your love and dedication for your SC400. Your actions speak louder than your words , Kudos to you my friend !
Thanks so much gerrb...There are a handful of us Americans that love the 1UZ...

Ryan
Old 06-14-15, 09:10 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Scott - I usually only believe people with first hand experiences in the real world , not keyboard warriors . Since you got experience with the UZFE , having a boosted SC400, let me ask you this : let us say IF , that is a big IF , I decide to have a built (both block and head) , power making UZFE car, wouldn't it be wise to start with the 2UZFE block that has a bigger displacement of 4.7liter and the 2UZFE VVTi head that makes more low end torque ?

Last edited by gerrb; 06-14-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-14-15, 09:48 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Scott - I usually only believe people with first hand experiences in the real world or with what they say , not keyboard warriors . Since you got experience with the UZFE , having a boosted SC400, let me ask you this : let us say IF , that is a big IF , I have decided to have a built (both block and head) , power making UZFE car, wouldn't it be wise to start with the 2UZFE block that has a bigger displacement of 4.7liter and the 2UZFE VVTi head that makes more low end torque ?
A resounding yes!! The 2UZ is also a cast iron block. If I were to go 2UZ, I would change the rods to Pauter, pistons to Ross, lower compression to 8.5:1, use ARP studs everywhere, and build a turbo set up from there.

Ryan
Old 06-14-15, 10:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SC400TT
A resounding yes!! The 2UZ is also a cast iron block. If I were to go 2UZ, I would change the rods to Pauter, pistons to Ross, lower compression to 8.5:1, use ARP studs everywhere, and build a turbo set up from there.

Ryan
Ok... nice to hear Pauter has them. I was about to call Carillo and Crower tomorrow and ask them if they do make them . Crower one time told me , they can make a set based on someone's specs. I know Eagle made those of TTC and Lextreme , Luxury Mods. CP makes the 2UZFE pistons. Just wondering why you say 8.5:1 compression. That would enable you to go with higher boost levels. But with higher compression , you don't need higher boosts to make the same power and high compression pistons helps you with low end torque. We, most of the time , spend our car running in the lower RPMs on the streets that is why I thought asking for 10:1 from CP pistons would have been a better choice for a more responsive car on the streets especially from the stops. One of the built 2JZGTE engines am building right now has 10:1 compression CP pistons and built VVTi Head just to take advantage of that low end torque where we spend most of our time driving actually on the neighborhood streets.

Great, 2UZFE be it then, if ever . The engine swapa itself is not expensive...$1400 shipped to you. Yeap , read about it being an iron block compared to the aluminum block of the 1UZ and true , ARP hardware everywhere. That should surely make a robust bottom end .
Old 06-14-15, 10:36 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

You've repeated that a few times now, and I've been biting my tongue because I know responding to it will offend some people...

Speak!! It is ok to differ...Just be respectful and all is well... by SC400TT

The thing is, as great of a resource as Lextreme is for 1UZ performance, it's pretty much an incomprehensible site/company/person/whatever. Every time Lexus owners are blamed for being too cheap or 3rd party companies are blamed for not being interested in manufacturing his R&D'd parts, I can only shake my head because communication is the underlying issue.

OK, I can't speak for your experiences with Lextreme, if you have had any. Have you ever bought any items from him? I personally know Lextreme, aka: David Phan. He is a man of honor and integrity. I have in fact, known him for 15 years or so. He has always been quick to ship out his products to me, and others I know, as well as 100% guarantees his products. He replaced a few items for me with not one complaint or hesitation. He once sold a machined block to a man in Australia or New Zealand that was unfortunately not machined properly...He refunded the man's money, and paid to ship it back to Cali at his cost. So the man lost no money, while Dvid took a beating on it but he stood behind his product.

David is an enthusiast...He put up his website for free and has kept it up for free for the world'a enthusiasts...Do you think that because it was free, it has not cost him thousands of dollars over the years to be there as a resource for the Lexus V8 Community worldwide??? Did he have to do that? Heck no!! He did it out of passion...For the UZ platform as well as for the many others that love it too.

Since it cost David so much time and money, he decided to give it a go to build an enthusiasts company, built around the UZ platform that all could benefit from, and still operate his Chiropractic business successfully. How hard do you think that was??? After years of trying to bring affordable and high quality products, services and tons of free R&D, he decided the return was just not there...I am curious t2d2, have you ever run a business? If you have, what business? Are you successful and turning a profit? Have you built the UZ? Have you even started? These questions are not to call you out or accuse you of anything...But, you have a lot to say about others, but have said little about what you have done, or that you even do.

by SC400TT

I never know if the non-forum pages on the site are Lextreme's own stuff or contributions by members. They seem more like tutorials, but then stuff will randomly be thrown in about taking down payments on kit development. It's difficult to even find links to the forum if you don't have it bookmarked. It's impossible to tell if things like the torque converter are still being produced. Nothing about it inspires confidence.

David's site is much like a Wikipedia for the UZ...It has contributions form many all over...But David has puts hundreds of hours into posting up his own research as well as that of others for the community at large...And all of it FOR FREE!! You want a torque converter, get the Dragon...You can't beat it! BTW, it's about a thousand dollars...and you don't have to buy it from David!! by SC400TT

That is not fair or accurate!! Can you build a low boost, affordable set up? Yes, but that is like what I HAVE SEEN SO MANY DO...build one part of their car, forget the rest, end up with nothing else that can handle the power or torque...You have to build every part of the car to match every other part of the car...Basic 101 principles! I know a man in Cali, that of he is willing to do it for you because he likes you...He can build you a low boost set up on the stock engine, change the internals, use existing headers, modify them, add a single turbo, get you about 350 WHP, all for about $5500. That does not include any transmission work or anything else. Interested? I will contact him and see if he is...Put down David Phan though, and he won't talk to you as he is a friend of David's. by SC400TT

You made a comment about selling a thousand kits for a $100 profit...Are you serious???If the kit could be built and sold for $400 total, then that is an accurate statement. No manufacturers would even consider such a fool thing!!! A manufacturer is going to work off of a minimum of 25% margin of profit, if not more...Enough...I do not have the time to keep on schooling people who are armchair warriors out in the cyber world...Know that I am not calling you that t2d2...stop being this one up...go build it yourself if you believe all of us don't know what we are talking about. Build it, document it, show it to us..>I balanced and blueprinted my engine build. I have every spec of every item...I know what I did. and $30,000 did not even come close to what I spent!! Far, far from it! I wish I only spent $30,000....

Ryan
by SC400TT

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-14-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-14-15, 10:56 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I usually believe people who have personally done what they write on the the forums.....a lot of people claim to be builders on the forum but they have no car to show for what they say.....lmao
Old 06-14-15, 12:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Wow, so it's okay to quote Lextreme calling all Lexus owners cheap but not okay to question the clarity of his online communication skills and how that has affected the viability of his offerings? And it's any wonder why I was biting my tongue on that point? I'm glad to hear that David is a great guy, but that's not what I was talking about. It's the ability to sell a product to prospective manufacturers and consumers that I'm questioning.

Ryan, I'm not saying anything one way or the other about your build. It's phenomenal in ever respect, but it represents a tiny fraction of 1% of what SC owners have any real interest in pursuing. It doesn't really tell us much about anything below the highest level of SC achievement. I've run a business for a long time and hosted free resource websites for thousands. Nothing about that is novel. Commendable, but not novel.

I've said several times I have no interest in boosting my SC. I'm only summarizing the approach laid out by others, anyway.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post6525607
http://www.boostcruising.com.au/advi...Soarer-V8.html
http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe-injector-upgrade.html

Those costs could probably be slashed by 50% or more if not being one-off fabrications.
Old 06-14-15, 03:25 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Wow, so it's okay to quote Lextreme calling all Lexus owners cheap but not okay to question the clarity of his online communication skills and how that has affected the viability of his offerings? And it's any wonder why I was biting my tongue on that point? I'm glad to hear that David is a great guy, but that's not what I was talking about. It's the ability to sell a product to prospective manufacturers and consumers that I'm questioning.

Ryan, I'm not saying anything one way or the other about your build. It's phenomenal in ever respect, but it represents a tiny fraction of 1% of what SC owners have any real interest in pursuing. It doesn't really tell us much about anything below the highest level of SC achievement. I've run a business for a long time and hosted free resource websites for thousands. Nothing about that is novel. Commendable, but not novel.

I've said several times I have no interest in boosting my SC. I'm only summarizing the approach laid out by others, anyway.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post6525607
http://www.boostcruising.com.au/advi...Soarer-V8.html
http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe-injector-upgrade.html

Those costs could probably be slashed by 50% or more if not being one-off fabrications.
I have never read anywhere David of Lextreme saying "All Lexus owners are cheap ". I know he said " No offense, but this is the truth. No all Lexus owners are cheap, but most." . I am pretty sure a lot of Old Timers on this forum who have seen the evolution of SC ownership would agree. I even saw other sub-sections of this forum talk about SC owners being cheap *** dudes. I feel bad being an SC owner but it is what it is.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I would agree for a reason. I have tons of friends on this forum and many local, that own an SC. Everyone wants to talk about having a fast car, arguing endlessly on what they would do but none of them would shell out the money to make it happen. For me, there is an underlying reason why. Look at the demographics of SC owner's age. Based on a poll, 57% are below 25 yrs. old, 70% are below 27 yrs. old. I would kinda believe the poll cause at times I would have 5 or 6 SC owners with their cars lined up in front of my place and my wife will ask me why the hell I am hanging around with kids half my age ? Well, they just love to come and talk about our SCs. At those ages , most are not yet established in their lives. I hope I am wrong , but majority of these guys don't even have their own place to live in so I believe won't also be making enough to build and maintain a performance car . It is very expensive to maintain a performance car if you want it to be always in tip top condition and enjoy it often. Just the fuel to run it is pricey since mileage per gallon is bad. Bad enough driving a stock SC400 getting 16-20 miles per gallon... boost it and you get a lot less. I know quite a few Performance shops , most SC brought in to be boosted or for maintenance would have cheap *** parts like cheap ebay BOV and Wastegates when these are very critical parts of a performance engine. They can cost you an expensive turbo or your engine itself.

Just look at the classified ads , no offense meant to anyone but you would hardly be able to sell your performance part here.... I repeat HARDLY in capital letters. It takes an eternity waiting for that single person who would want to pay for it even if it is being sold at a very good price. You might as well sell it on SF. You have better chances of selling it.

Let me make this clear , are you telling us that you never really had a real life experience in boosting an SC specifically the SC400 1uzfe ?

When you say " I've said it before, a low-boost "kit" should be very affordable ..... Get a crossover pipe fabbed up and let people mount the turbo of their choosing. " . That to me sounds very authoritative meaning coming from someone who had done it. Is that all based on your readings when you say you are only summarizing the approach laid out by others ?

With regards this " should be affordable if someone with good communication skills and industry connections is serious about it.You could sell 1,000 of those and make $100 per " .

How sure you are of Dave (Lextreme) not having good communications skills and industry connections when you don't even know him ? And, what made you be sure they will sell 1000 of what you recommended when it looks like if I am getting you right haven't even tried your own recommendation if it is a feasible, cost effective , good HP per Dollar ratio and reliable solution ? OR are they all assumptions ? I don't mean to call you out but I just want to understand better what are your claims based on? Have you had any business that deals with performance parts that sells like hot cakes ? Maybe you can tell us. You seem to know very well the performance world when you say , "You could sell 1000". Marketing People are always very optimistic of Projected Sales. But reality does not always come near Marketing Projections. The performance world is a very tough market just because a performance car is more of a WANT than a NEED (necessity) . A lot of big performance companies like HKS and other big names had closed their USA operations. It is a very tough industry to be in with so much competition and options for end users. For whatever reasons, HKS were not making money. Surely these are companies with money, well oiled machineries like marketing & sales , manufacturing. finance, legal, IT, R&D ...you name it, they have the department but couldn't keep the boat afloat and here you are, you say things as though it is as easy as selling hot cakes and you blame it all on lack of communication skills or ability to sell of a person you don't even have a clue who he is or what he has done for the 1UZFE community .

Looking at the 3 links you wrote, isn't it ironic that the 3rd link you specified and use as your resource or reference is the very website that you are badmouthing ? You don't bite the hand that feeds you !

The thing is, as great of a resource as Lextreme is for 1UZ performance, it's pretty much an incomprehensible site/company/person/whatever.

It's difficult to even find links to the forum if you don't have it bookmarked...... Nothing about it inspires confidence.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-15-15 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 12:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Gerrb, I "rediscovered" a nice rod option for the 2uz, I was doing research and read from Lextreme that the Chevy lighning rods are a straight bolt on for the 2uz crank. custom pistons are needed but using more widely available Lightning rods might help keep the costs down and I am sure they will have more variety then custom 2uz rods.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ottom-end.html

Quick Reply: Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??