SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 10:57 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, if I remember correctly, RDM20FAN made over 500 WHP on his TT SC400 that Chris built in Chicago area with stock internals. I believe he thrashed the car constantly, and ended up bending the stock rod and I believe he melted a piston. It can be done, but it was not exactly cheap. I do not know what he spent, but perhaps he will see this post and chime in on his results.

Building the 1UZ or boosting it can be done at many different levels...Depends upon what you want. The SC400 has several challenges to address when you boost it.
1) It is a DOHC, 32 Valve V8. That ijn itself is more costly to build simply due to the design of the engine.
2) The engine takes up almost all of the available space in the engine bay...A big issue if building the 1UZ in the SC. Have to make room for the plumbing. No room on the driver's side for the down pipe to run between engine and frame rail...AC Compressor and Steering column are in the way.
3) Front mount turbo set up...Limiteed space in front of car for cooling fans, radiators, etc...Have to remove the Hydraulic fan set up and modify to LS set up.
4) Fuel system has to be modified
5) Toyota/Lexus ECU not reprogrammable....Must go to stand alone...
6) Stock transmission cannot handle the power...Must be built or swapped.
7) Suspension must be modified
8) Drive train must be modified.

My point is it is not simply the 1UZFE...The Aussies have used it for decades as the powerplant in many different platforms. The issue is that for long term reliability, streetability, drivability, etc, the engine needs to be built and modded internally for those that will regularly thrash their car. It will not take the pounding if not...But, it will probably last a while if you don't get crazy.

Building it in the SC is a complex and detail oriented process and it is relatively expensive, if you are like me...**** about everything you do. I could have built a beater for a whole lot less money. I did not build a "missle" car...It's all about what you want to accomplish. But do know this...The after market does not have much support for the engine. So, custom will be mnore of what you have to deal with if you selct to build the engine.

Perhaps, with the drifting scene allowing V8's now in most all classes, the 1UZ may get more and more use as the platform. If so, it could change...But consider a Stock LS crate motor makes double or more the HP of a 1UZ. And again, the LS has crazy after market support.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-07-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-07-15, 01:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
The SC400 has several challenges to address when you boost it.
1) It is a DOHC, 32 Valve V8. That ijn itself is more costly to build simply due to the design of the engine.
2) The engine takes up almost all of the available space in the engine bay...A big issue if building the 1UZ in the SC. Have to make room for the plumbing. No room on the driver's side for the down pipe to run between engine and frame rail...AC Compressor and Steering column are in the way.
3) Front mount turbo set up...Limiteed space in front of car for cooling fans, radiators, etc...Have to remove the Hydraulic fan set up and modify to LS set up.
4) Fuel system has to be modified
5) Toyota/Lexus ECU not reprogrammable....Must go to stand alone...
6) Stock transmission cannot handle the power...Must be built or swapped.
7) Suspension must be modified
8) Drive train must be modified.
#4-5-6-7-8 are equally applicable to the SC300, no? Maybe not #5 if using a GTE ECU, but that's still a necessary upgrade.
Old 06-08-15, 06:37 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I saw another thread, I think on Lextreme, about a guy in Australia who drag races stock 1UZs. Slaps a couple turbos on and pushes them to 1300 HP with no internal mods. It's cheaper and easier to run them that way until they blow than it is to build something properly. That supports the notion that 700 HP is reliable.
its not a stock motor, the block is stock it has rods and pistons, and some mild cams which the owner wouldn't give any info on the spec..Its a drag car so it's far from stock.
Old 06-08-15, 08:31 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99SC42
its not a stock motor, the block is stock it has rods and pistons, and some mild cams which the owner wouldn't give any info on the spec..Its a drag car so it's far from stock.
You edited out the, "I know you are kidding right?" Which is good, because I found the thread:

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465

"i know of a drag car over here with a twin turbo 1UZ with completly stock internals. this guy didn't even rebuild it. it just straight out of the front cut and into the drag car with twin turbos and 30 PSI the engines make about 1300HP. he runs it until it blows up then just gets an other front cut. The cuts can be had here for $AU 1400"

Granted, it's from a guy with only one post to his name.
Old 06-08-15, 09:59 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PseudoK

I would love to learn about your builds and cost, do you have it up somewhere?
Somewhere under my user name. I fell off of CL before the standalone went on, but I did finish it. I ended up parting out the car, and it became a street/drift car locally here. It was back to N/A. But still 5 speed, with headers, and a little bit of nitrous.

He ended up killing the motor finally. I would say it was close to 300k.

Keep in mind I owned the car in 05 and was running a 200 shot of nitrous through it, then it was five speed, then supercharged, then standalone.

As far as my MKIII goes, I have a few pictures posted up of it, but not real build thread. It was seriously a japanese rat rod. Everything was made to fit, I had an issue with the oil return line, so I used the power steering pump to return oil to the pan lol.

Then a semi killed it. Man, I miss that car. I beat the hell out of it, and didn't care, and it still looked great doing it lol
Old 06-08-15, 12:17 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I need to see some proof ...I don't believe everything I read on the net...sorry man.

Stock 1uz internals will not hold 1300hp, Its no way possible my friend.
Old 06-08-15, 01:31 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I need to see some proof ...I don't believe everything I read on the net...sorry man.
Nothing wrong with being skeptical. I'm just passing along what I read -- on a site mentioned repeatedly in this very thread as the definitive resource on building 1UZs. No one refuted the claim there, so I have no reason to believe it isn't true.
Old 06-09-15, 05:28 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Do you know how much power is being made through that auto trans to translate 1300hp?

Stock motor will never hold that kind of power.. on E85 to make things worst ..the stock pins fly out of the block on the first pull, its a V8 it makes a lot of TQ+its on E85..Those rods will take a banana shape.

700-800 pass that you are on borrowed time..

Last edited by 99SC42; 06-09-15 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 10:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah I was going to post that those numbers were too ridiculous to be true but ^ beat me to it.
if I had a 1300hp 1uz, I would like to see anyone stop me from posting dynos in every place on the internet possible , in every lanudromat, in every grocery store, I would probably just run around shouting it out to anyone who would listen and pass out flyers for evidence. so yeah I want to see a dyno also.

the 650hp and torque setup though looks very real, and I would love to build something like that and enjoy that low powerband.
That site was a good place for v8 innovating, but there was misinformation present there, just like there is on most forums.

I am not sure why people think the same rods that bend when a 2jz reaches a certain torque value will somehow take more torque than that in another motor
What baffles me further is the other motor we are talking about, makes more torque than a 2jz, so if anything they would bend at a lower HP number on a 1uz (but around the same torque).

and it doesn't matter that one has 8 cylinder and one has 6 cylinders, when that piston fires, if there is enough torque = bent rod.
I will have to super agree with O above that you will likely only see a reasonable 7-800 hp on a 1uz on stock internals, as at that HP, it will make the same amount of torque.

What surprises me also is that we have to discuss why a stock v8 motor that made 200hp something hp stock, can't hit 1300hp with just power adders.
I already think 700hp and torque from a 1uz is very very impressive.

the other night I listened to that mk3 with the s366 a few more times and I even thought about pulling my setup for the 1uz, but I don't have time for that stuff this year and will likely just get a sc400 to make it easier when I do get around to it. when that s366 spools over the v8 sounds that is like music to my ears.

How hard is it to throw those H beam rods in these blocks. might be worth it to see how much further it could go but already sounds pricey for experimenting.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-09-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 02:04 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Exactly Ali ..Its not possible it's not gonna happen I am willing to put $500 on it.

It needs Rods and Pistons , with Upgraded pins and some decent camshafts , e85 and a lot of boost!
Old 06-09-15, 05:44 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

90% SC owners are cheap that's why manufacturer/ shops don't waste their time making parts for the sc4.

Everyone wants the cheapest and easy way out...
I was doing some reading about boosting the SC400 and came accross someone doing R&D on boosting the SC400,.

Coming from this someone doing R&D I quote ;

" I have been in the Lexus community for the pass three years and I understand how CHEAP Lexus owners are as far as dishing money out for performance parts. No offense, but this is the truth. No all Lexus owners are cheap, but most. Especially in forums and bulletins, most members are just talk and no action. "

/end quote

I have said it before , I have seen a lot of people who argued about boosting the SC400 but have never seen any of them have a boosted SC400. No offense to any one but just the truth . I guess one of the reason manufacturers never saw the market potential on the 1UZFE . I just couldn't believe that for 25 years, no one among the manufacturers was smart enough to figure out how to make money with the 1UZFE through performance parts.

On the classified ads , I have seen a lot of performance parts posted for sale that are relatively cheap and never moved but when posted in other performance oriented sites they don't last long. I myself can be counted to be cheap hahaha... I look for bargains of bargains only .

Most Lexus owners I believe judging by the number of boosted Lexus on this forum are more concerned with the external looks. They will spend tons of money on good looking wheels before making their cars fast for which there is nothing wrong with that. Performance I guess just comes second to looks in our community .

Last edited by gerrb; 06-09-15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 06:40 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Performance comes first to me lol......

I remember when I was a kid going to the track day with my uncle with the Porsche club...the fastest car on the the track was an very ugly brown color and was all faded and paint was cracked...people always asked him why he never had it repainted and he always said why waste money on paint when it does nothing other than make it look pretty....

IMO I would rather take the money that a paint job cost 1-3k and put it towards engine, suspension, or drivetrain....
Old 06-12-15, 08:53 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like there are lots of JZ fan boys and UZ doubters on this thread with a bunch of hearsay.
Old 06-13-15, 06:38 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Seems like there are lots of JZ fan boys and UZ doubters on this thread with a bunch of hearsay.
Not a doubter here...
Attached Thumbnails Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5213.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5215.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5224.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_5225.jpg   Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??-img_0180.jpg  

Old 06-13-15, 06:52 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I could post up hundreds of pics of my build...I love the 1UZ. I painstakingly built my car over years to get it to exactly what I wanted. Look at how I opened up the lower intake in the prior pic...I did not show the extrude honed upper intake...Or my heads being port matched, those are 980 cc Delphi injectors...The fuel rails are custom made for the car...The engine is larger displacement because it was bored out, the rods are made of forged chrome moly by Pauter, the crank is forged by the factory, so I had it balanced, I even added the oil injectors from the later 3UZ by tapping the oil galley and securing each one in the right place so as to further cool the engine...I can go on and on...I am a believer...Just getting this done takes a lot...TO DO IT THE WAY I DID. As I noted, it can be done for a lot less.

My son is a drifter...We are considering building a new SC as his primary drifter...We are strongly considering building a powerful and much cheaper version of the 1UZ for it so that he can remain Japanese but use a V8.

We will let you know what we do...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??