SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 06:45 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. To give you an idea, this is what 25k gets you before you even start turning wrenches https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iper-pa23.html.

Last edited by rollexus; 04-20-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 05:57 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

I see people throw out some scary numbers for what it takes to make power on the 1UZ, but I never see a realistic breakdown as to why it was that much

like on the facebook group the other day I heard someone spout off $5k for cams for the 1UZ vers $500 for some domestic.

now I looked around alot and I saw sets of cams going for $1k - $1.5k, pretty decent cost to me for what it is..

and as far as the internals the word that is going around is about 600HP is the limit for the early 1UZ, which is pretty decent with boost, I have yet to get a realistic answer on the JZ, most answers are exaggerate , and I am sure the number is higher, but that probably has to do with the fact that people know how to tune the engine safely, how much effort has gone into 1UZ tuning?

and are most people seriously moving to the 2UZ block for any power? I have tried to look for records of people breaking 1UZ blocks but havnt been too successful..
Old 04-20-15, 09:01 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So I saw this car last year when I had my NA-T dynoed at Sound Performance. If this was the same Supra, I had no idea it was UZ powered. Looked fantastic in person.

Old 04-20-15, 09:08 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

one more
Old 04-21-15, 07:05 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hop on the FB groups there are lots of 1UZ builds with great numbers going on that even amaze me. They are out there, I also think the UZ is becoming more popular as people want that "rare" build.
Old 04-21-15, 07:21 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

tell me what FB groups your talking about, because both the SC crew and Lexus SC400/SC300 Mods page is all about the JZ.
Old 04-21-15, 08:28 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be this group, https://www.facebook.com/Turbo1uzfe
Old 04-22-15, 05:29 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dricacho
thats not a group, thats someones car build you can follow.
Old 04-22-15, 08:56 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PseudoK
I see people throw out some scary numbers for what it takes to make power on the 1UZ, but I never see a realistic breakdown as to why it was that much

like on the facebook group the other day I heard someone spout off $5k for cams for the 1UZ vers $500 for some domestic.

now I looked around alot and I saw sets of cams going for $1k - $1.5k, pretty decent cost to me for what it is..

and as far as the internals the word that is going around is about 600HP is the limit for the early 1UZ, which is pretty decent with boost, I have yet to get a realistic answer on the JZ, most answers are exaggerate , and I am sure the number is higher, but that probably has to do with the fact that people know how to tune the engine safely, how much effort has gone into 1UZ tuning?

and are most people seriously moving to the 2UZ block for any power? I have tried to look for records of people breaking 1UZ blocks but havnt been too successful..
I get your point...I am not going to take the time to justify my comments of "expensive", but if you really want to know, jump on Lextreme, and a few of the Aussie forums...You can add up the numbers as you price the components for a NA build, or for a FI build. They have all the info there...You can get the cams from Kelford, Pistons from Ross, rods from Pauter, machine your heads and block...Find the best machine shop you can, choose your stand alone, your trans needs building or swapping to a manual, you need a new rear end - LSD, new drive shaft, Big Brakes, fuel pumps, that's just for a 500-600 WHP NA build...If you don't change out the internals, your engine will implode...and we have not even started to add all the components for FI!

You add it up and see what you get...

SC400TT
Old 04-23-15, 08:32 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

yea you see, I dont think I would need rods or pistons for under 400hp,
and the head flows fine for what it is.

but I would say cams are needed and a tune at least.

and I have already spent $2500 for 98% of the parts for my CD009 swap, and I already have S&S headers.

but the manual part doesnt come into affect. because most everyone is going to need to swap, even with the w58, its going to be too weak.

most of the stuff listed would need to be applied to a 2JZGTE build as well. its not too different in the end, but people are still scared of the 1UZ.
Old 04-23-15, 08:58 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Just type in the FB Search thingy 1UZ and groups will come up the Biggest one with over 3k members just turned Private/Secret recently. Im not sure why.
Old 04-23-15, 09:15 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Simply put, if I have $3000 to spend, the 1UZ MAY have 375hp, the 2J would absolutely have 600hp, and be more reliable..
Old 04-23-15, 11:26 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

thats not a group, thats someones car build you can follow.
Lol thats Sean, he has dont alot of work recently. Thing sounds like a beast he always posting in those groups.
Old 04-24-15, 01:39 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

yea you see, I dont think I would need rods or pistons for under 400hp,
and the head flows fine for what it is.

but I would say cams are needed and a tune at least.
When I read these few sentences I cannot help feeling that maybe engine mod is not for you?
There I said it! I know Ryan was thinking the same thing .

Without putting any numbers (ie, rwhp, ft-lb....), this game is a bottom up approach. Depending on how much you love the car, what kind of application, purpose (show,race) etc... You can either leave no corner untouched or focus specifically on what you want to improve on.

In essence, when talking UZ potential, here is a hint... the rods will need to go... then might as well do the pistons, if you're doing a 2UZ then place close attention to the main caps (ie, 4 bolt main conversion)... Can't leave the heads looking the way they are!!!! Let's order some cams. Valve float what? Get on the phone again and order up some dual wind valve springs for FI application...

Everything seems to cost 1,000-1,5000 dollars

Rods - 1,200
Pistons - 1,200
Cams - 1,500
Steel Valve Springs and buckets with Ti caps and retainers - 2,500
ARP Bolts - Head, main caps, rod - 1,500
Gaskets - 800
Core if you don't have one 500
Fuel pumps, lines, rails.... 2,000
AN fittings... Ask Ryan how expensive those are
Custom Harness + ECU (ProEFI ~8K, Motec ~15K)

Right there is 8000 dollars plus? And what you have are a bunch of boxes with shiny parts in them sitting next to an engine block. What now? Call up the machine shop dude? See what he has to say?

Believe me it makes me sick just writing this very post. And I am pretty sure it would do the same to anyone else who travelled this route. I am pretty sure the other mod gurus looking at the list up top would not pay attention to how exaggerated or not the list is. The thought will just make them sick too.

Let's just assume you go ahead and dump the 40K into this thing. Done engine! 2UZ! FI! 897 rwhp blah blah blah.... You will do all that and you will not even be able to enjoy it... The car will sit in the garage every rainy day, you'll drive it to the gas station and back, maybe the park and the coffee shop for show and tell... You would be too worried to punch it, buddy dings it in the parking lot...

By the time one has pulled the trigger, committed to the project they will be 30 something years old and grown out of that phase... If not, you're wife will have a few things to say. And trust me, you'll be all ears .

Not planning on getting married? No worries, a career change may have a say in things. Just ask this guy https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iper-pa23.html
He bit the bullet and dumped money into an engine he felt has potential too. Then he bought a multi engine plane... That's pretty fast . Want to go fast? Buy a bike .

This my friend is the cold reality.

Cheers.

Last edited by rollexus; 04-24-15 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 04:54 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have friend building his 1UZ now ,cams, rods ETC, He's looking for a Pre 95 auto tran to build to go behind it. It may not be an "elephant" but it should perform impressively for a small V8 (258ci). 300hp chevy small blocks could slam a lead sled down the road well & that was with a carburator. These engines were built not for take off, but to run you at 149 mph all day & not blow & give you power to pass & a higher rpm range. Drift or drag application is where the problem occurs & the rest of the drive train wasn't built for that either so then you begin having to beef up everything & that becomes very expensive. IF i was going to make my SC a monster I'd drop my 406 T-bird big block in it & back it up with my ford top loader & put a 9" four link in it. But I like my SC just the way it is & at a little over 300hp it puts me down the road quick enough to lose my license any day.

Quick Reply: Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??