SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 10:53 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

The 1UZ is a wonderful engine in my opinion and has a lot of potential, it has a mild aftermarket that will do nothing but die out in competition to the constant 2JZ.

things will never ever get cheap with people abandoning the 1UZ, the only ones that actually use the engine put it in a lighter car and then basically leave it stock because its got plenty of power..

I mean I have seen a guy on here with something like 7 SEVEN SC/Supras listed in their sig ALL 2JZs

like seriously not even give the 1UZ a chance in ONE of the cars?!

its like everyone abandons the 1UZ for JZ or LS eventually.. what would it take to get more interest in this engine? create a formula/build to get the engine revving to 9K reliably?

So lets hear those opinions, too many people still in this day have false information on the 1UZ believing it to have no potential at all.
Old 04-17-15, 11:17 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the 1UZ in my old SC400. Actually, when I decided to buy a daily driver last Summer and relieve some of the duty on the 300ZX Twin Turbo, I was going to get a clean, well maintained SC400 and put a basic supercharger on it for a really hot, fun car with the v8 snarl. However, I found a great deal on an SC300 that was very clean and maintained and figured I'd 1JZ it since the engines are fairly cheap and so much easier to work on.

I don't hate the 1UZ at all, I like it. However, I wanted something with a pissed off straight 6 since my first car I ever really wanted was a Datsun 280Z, and I've owned several Nissan Z cars, so straight 6 it was.
Old 04-17-15, 11:52 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i loved my sc4, great engine. kinda had plans to get another one, but things boiled down to why.
why sink money into a 1uz that i know i'd like to turbo but would have to custom fab a crapload of stuff, or save myself time/money/guinea pig status/headache and just go 1/2jz?

there are a few great souls that have done what i wanted to do with the 1uz, but for an at home weekend mechanic the smarter choice is jz. now if i had cash to blow, i wouldn't even do the job myself and have a couple sc's a jz and a uz, both built to 500+hp. but this is the other problem with the uz, while a great engine iirc it would require more beefy internals for more than 8psi, more custom parts(i think they are cast, don't remember now). the other problem that i remember coming up a long while ago was where the heck to put 2 big turbos in the bay. there were lots of issues that i noticed in certain uztt builds that i knew i couldn't tackle myself.

these are just some of the problems i ran into without even doing anything but reading, i'd love to give the engine a chance. it just won't happen till i win the lotto or randomly become a pro wielder with a junkyard(better chance of this, randamnicity).

it's just simpler to toss a supercharger on a uz and call it a day, another option to the road of uz turbo.

the uz has the potential, there's just to many boulders in the road. people don't like boulders in the road - unless you have a jeep(or an xterra and don't mind being a 3/4 capable jeep). i enjoy my back roads of traildamage, but when i come to a fork and only see a small few built up jeeps going to the left....i'll be heading to the right with the other suvs and traffic.

i think this is why so many people don't touch the uz, it's a very hard backroad to tackle that requires a lotta will and money(or skill for those in the right field).
Old 04-17-15, 11:53 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted a Japanese v8 and finally got one! I think this motor has great potential. The clock currently has 200k miles and when the motor dies out, I will have it built and supercharged.
Old 04-18-15, 12:31 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

The 1UZ has definitely a lot of potential, IIRC it was actually built by Toyota back in 1989 I think for their Formula 1 cars, but then they decided not to pursue that route. Since they had the engine design and some models made, they decreased the performance of the engine and started to add it in their newer vehicles, I think the first one was the LS400 but I'm not sure. Anyways, an engine which was made for being in a race car, has more CC and almost the same weight as the 2JZ, I don't see why not anyone should not give it a shot. It's true there is lesser aftermarket support and honestly just anyone with proper mechanic and manufacturing skills could produce something which everyone would enjoy to be part of. The 2JZs are getting expensive and the prices are increasing, even though in the end you will get more HP from the 2JZ than the 1UZ for the amount of money you put. There are many supercharger kits out there and you know what they are damn awesome, I've seen some TT and NA-T builds here as well and it seems like either Turbo or Supercharger should cost you about the same. You just gotta make the engine more popular, do a few things yourself as a community and I'm sure the 1UZ will rise and show it's true potential.
Old 04-18-15, 12:42 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

1uz is a great engine, and i htink it might be making a comeback in the aftermarket scene, people are realizing that this is a great engine and sticking it in all sorts of cars all over. i have a feeling there might be a slight bump in aftermarket support, nothing compared to the JZ engines unfortunately.
Old 04-18-15, 02:13 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Coming from a turbo sc300 I still love my 400. No it's not fast, at all, but it's peppy and gets into traffic faster than most other daily drivers out there. I just want wheels and springs and its done. If I get bored with it I'll manual swap, get some exhaust and MAYBE a 100 shot. But for a car thats V8, quiet inside, comfy, very reliable and can still get high 20 MPG's I'm hard pressed to find anything better. I love my car and re assure myself every time I walk away and look back at it . Thanks Lexus.
Old 04-18-15, 04:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by PseudoK

The 1UZ is a wonderful engine in my opinion and has a lot of potential, it has a mild aftermarket that will do nothing but die out in competition to the constant 2JZ.

things will never ever get cheap with people abandoning the 1UZ, the only ones that actually use the engine put it in a lighter car and then basically leave it stock because its got plenty of power..

I mean I have seen a guy on here with something like 7 SEVEN SC/Supras listed in their sig ALL 2JZs

its like everyone abandons the 1UZ for JZ or LS eventually.. what would it take to get more interest in this engine? create a formula/build to get the engine revving to 9K reliably?

So lets hear those opinions, too many people still in this day have false information on the 1UZ believing it to have no potential at all.

lmaol...

I guess you haven't done a lot of research about trying to get +800rwhp from the 1UZ ?

I have been there , having a twin turbo 1UZ making at least 800whp was what I wanted even before any of my JZ cars.

Reason I won't waste my time on it is with the money involved to get that power, I would already have at least 2 or 3 +1000rwhp JZ cars. Don't you wonder why you don't see many high HP 1UZ ? In fact I only know of one and the guy has over $80k into it......cost and availability of performance parts and support are the main reasons why . Don't you think tons of v8 lovers like me since I have 5 other v8 vehicles right now would have jumped into it ? Don't get me wrong, I love the grunt and torque coming from a v8 but trying to get even close to 800rwhp, (let's not even mention 1000rwhp) does not make any sense at least in my book. Me not seeing a lot of them but seeing tons of +1000rwhp JZ cars just confirms I guess what I believe in.

Maybe you can try building one and try getting +800rwhp from a 1UZ and start a build thread so everyone can follow . I will look forward to it and I will tip my hat for you all day.

With regards staying with one flatform, the 2jzgte, it make sense in my book since I can move parts here and there on my cars for troubleshooting if ever.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-18-15 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 04:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll probably end up doing a swap to the 2JZ or maybe LS2 platform depending on funds in the future... I love the 1UZ also but there is just no mod support and when there was back 10 years ago Supercharger kits were very limited and only a handful of units were developed. I wish i had the SC400 so i could buy the S/C kit from bullet cars.. that would be ideal... or a Pre 96 LS400...
Old 04-18-15, 07:55 AM
dricacho
Rookie

LOL not everyone wants to run +800hp, with that amount of power comes issues, things break easily no matter what engine it is. I'll be happy to get 400 or maybe even 500hp out of my 1UZ.
Old 04-18-15, 08:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dricacho
LOL not everyone wants to run +800hp, with that amount of power comes issues, things break easily no matter what engine it is. I'll be happy to get 400 or maybe even 500hp out of my 1UZ.
lmaol, I guess you don't get my point .EXACTLY in-line with what you just said . Every one has their own objectives in building a car. Regardless whether a car has 200rwhp or 400rwhp or 800rwhp or more.... if not done right it will have issues. There are tons of cars running +800rwhp and runs beautifully. You spend the right amount of money on the right parts and get the right people to do it... it should be a beautiful reliable car all day. I can name tons of cars like Supras, GTRs, Lambos making in excess of +1500rwhp and are being driven daily. True , issues comes out with high hp because owners try to cheap out and yet wanted a high hp car. RELIABLE HIGH HP Car cannot be on the same sentence with CHEAP.

The OP said on his first post ..

Originally Posted by PseudoK

Why will someone reference and question somebody when he doesn't even know what the intention or objectives of that somebody in his builds ?

Was it to make his idea colorful or convincing ? Does that even make sense or make it right ?

He could have simply said, "Why not build the 1UZ ?" . But to reference and judge someone he has no idea about that someone's intentions or objectives ? Tell me if it is right .....saying that someone" did not even give the 1UZ a chance in ONE of the cars ?! " . How the hell does he know ? When in fact that someone had done all his research to make that a possibility and his conclusion was for him ... it doesn't make sense spending tons of money to attain his goal when with the same amount of money he can have 2 or 3 more higher hp cars.

Even trying to build a reliable 500rwhp 1UZ , let me know how much you have spent and I would guarantee you, you can have a lot better, reliable boosted JZ car with the same amount you have spent on that 1UZ. Again I am not against building a 1UZ cause I always wanted a twin 1UZ. If you want one, I encourage you to do one. I am not stopping anyone just like I told the OP, I will tip my hat all day......but IMHO, for me , it is all about "what better setup one can get with the same amount of money, the use of the car and which one will be more reliable for the intended use of the car being built " ... that is just my $0.2 .

Nobody here said, don't go for it . I am giving my view just like everyone else who posted so people do not hear just one side and they can think, research for themselves on what is best for them.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-18-15 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 08:39 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1UZ + Vortech Super charger would make the sc400 a great daily. Other than that your into money for a standalone and fueling ect.
Old 04-18-15, 09:16 AM
ems
Lead Lap

I originally wanted the 400, but after much informative pressure from a few beers with my car buddies, it was clear. 2jz+turbo+stick=fun and that's all I needed to hear. Of course to get there =frustration, but it always does.
Old 04-18-15, 09:24 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DON"T DO IT!!

I speak from experience!! Am I glad I did it? Yes! Was it painful? Yes! Was it expensive? Insanely so! Was it worth it? Yes, but would not be to most.

If you have buckets of cash, the UZ is not your daily driver, and you have lots of patience, plus, if you have skills such as welding, fabricating, and are auto mechanically inclined, then, go ahead...The 1UZ is an over-engineered engine...It will practically last forever if well maintained...But why go through all of the pain and expense when you can get loads of power from a Chevy small block with tons of after market support? The 2J has tons of after market support...

It's a lot about finances...

Ryan
Old 04-18-15, 09:37 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

oh shoot...the owner of the Twin 1UZ which I always admired and envy even if I seldom said it, had spoken !!!

Ryan - kudos to you for that damn twin 1UZ... I will tip my hat all day for you determination on that excellent car ...

Quick Reply: Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??