SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 10:17 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just think that if the early rods are very similar to the 2JZ, and no one has really heard of any cases of the 1UZ block breaking... whose to say the early 1UZ cant hit 800hp on stock internals like the 2JZ can?
Old 05-23-15, 10:54 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen multiple builds pushing 500hp on stock internals. I honestly think a lot of the early failures were tuner errors. I mean back when the impreza sti came out they said that 350whp was pushing the stock motor, now there's 500whp 10 second sti's on stock internals. Someone recently broke into the 9's on a motor that "couldn't handle more than 350whp". It's all about having a safe reliable tune. I'm sure someday someone will step up to the plate and break the infamous 4 digit barrier on a stock block 1uz.
Old 05-26-15, 09:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the early 1uz is a beast of a motor, its the aluminum block that becomes the weak factor on those motors vs the 2jz. there are reasons why a 2jz can survive so much boost and part of it has to do with the cast iron bottom end that could double as an anchor for a small ship. the 1uz is known to push large amounts of power though as I said before toyota used literally the same block for competition racing, they just decked it out with better parts. sort of like the earlier 1uz being better than the later 1uz, same block but different rods pistons, etc..

t2d2, there is a difference between misinformation and deductive reasoning.
IT is a fact that the weak point of all the vvti motors is that toyota skimped out on the rods. there are numerous documented failues and pictures of bent rods, but maybe not on a 1uz vvti.
there is even documentation on what the "good rods" can handle nowadays and they also bend and break but its nearer to the 900 torque level.
then ask yourself, if a 1uz vvti has the same problem rods, would it also not have a "weak part"?
It 100% has that same weak part, now it might come into play at a different boost level or torque number than a 2jz, but that rod that is the same between both motors can only handle what that rod can handle, and after that they bend, then they break, then you get a hole in the block. its not even a guess that would happen if you put enough boost to a 96+ it will happen.

Its really not that unreasnable to have to change the rods on a motor before attempting more than 500hp.
with the 2jz we have become spoilt to be honest with how much power it can handle and availability of bolt on parts even for na-t now. if the 1uz had bolt on after market turbo manifolds and standalone ecu's that weren't 3k then I think tons of people would be buying up the earlier model 92-94 and adding power to it and manual swapping them.
I have been debating picking up one myself and running it off an aem v1 and throwing a vortech on it. a litlte water meth mixture and I am sure it be a blast from off the line to redline.
with how much more torque the UZ motor generates, I would feel safer about my build if I had at least the good rods, if not the aftermarket H beam rods.

I agree that this motor should be given more of a chance, I really like the U series. with a little work they can make awesome setups.
I have seen them on tons of custom builds. toyota even used them on their speed boat look up the toyota EPIC it had a marine 1uz with an outboard setup. neat stuff.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-26-15 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 12:42 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
IT is a fact that the weak point of all the vvti motors is that toyota skimped out on the rods. there are numerous documented failues and pictures of bent rods, but maybe not on a 1uz vvti.
I get what you're saying, but it's still extrapolation based on what rods of similar dimensions (are we sure they're exactly the same part?) do in other engines. With a lack of evidence that they're problematic in the newer 1UZs, you can't rule out the possibility that it's something specific to the other setups that is causing failures.

Now, would I risk grenading my engine to put that theory to the test, assuming I had a later model 1UZ? No, probably not. Then again, I don't see the point in a 900-1000 HP street car, so I would never have reason to explore the limits of the rods.

While it may seem a trivial point to debate, it's sort of the gist of this thread. It seems like the 1UZ is overlooked for performance potential because so many of us take an all-or-nothing approach that isn't relevant to most peoples' goals. We have to break down a lot of old assumptions to get anywhere.
Old 05-26-15, 02:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

weak rods are weak rods. they may be other 1uz specific issues but its not extrapolation they use the same style rods as the other motors. toyota lightened them because they were overbuilt, so to add more power, you have to put the overbuilt ones back in. anyone building a 96+ should know about it, its not something you can put off.

this assumption doesn't hurt anyone either, there are 92-94 sc400's which are the desired ones for boosting, tons of them were produced, they are the oldest so emissions friendly, and still not many modify them like that, but I am sure tons are thinking about it. I think its because they don't sell off the shelf bolt on power adders for them. if some online ebay company released a proper turbo manifold for the 1uz, then it would change things.

This is the reason I can't really bring myself to buy a 98+ sc300 or any is300 the bottom end would have to be changed to do what I want to do with it.

the 1uz is not generally overlooked for performance potential i have seen them in all kinds of toyota's, mk3 supra, datsun's, nissans, in trucks, in boats, in airplanes even.
The main place its overlooked is when its in a sc400 because you can get a 300 which has a million bolt on parts that will let you build a more powerful setup with ease.
now you have me wanting to build a turbo sc400 but man that would take so much time its discouraging.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-26-15 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 08:12 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

you can get a 300 which has a million bolt on parts that will let you build a more powerful setup with ease.
That my friend answers the thread title "Why don't you give the 1UZ the chance ? "

/thread

now you have me wanting to build a turbo sc400 but man that would take so much time its discouraging.
Who would not like a 400-500rwhp single or twin turbo sc400 ? I wanted one since my first SC.

but with the time and amount of money you will spend on building a RELIABLE 400-500rwhp twin or single or supercharged SC400 , you can have a MORE powerful , reliable 2jz car. Or let me put it this way , if your power goal is just 400-500rwhp, you will spend less money getting that on a 2jz and it will be even easier and less expensive to maintain. It is a no brainer for me.

The 1UZ had been in existence for more than 25 years. Some websites like lextreme which is dedicated to the 1UZ is one of the sites where one can probably get better answers. In my opinion there is a reason why these long time fanatics of 1UZ or tuners/builders do not push the stock internals to the same level the stock 2jz internals are pushed. Otherwise, these 1UZ fanatics/tuners/builders would have done it a long time ago since these engines have been long in existence even before the 2JZ.

It has been mentioned many times on this thread, not every one has same goals and purpose in building a car. The truth or reality is 98% of performance , tuner or built cars are not daily driven cars that is why people build them to the max of what their budget can. If they can afford a +1000rwhp build they will. When one has driven a reliable +850rwhp car , having fun with that 850 rwhp / 750 torque below 5000 RPM on the streets, I could almost guarantee you , that someone would like to have one if he can afford it. Reliability all depends on how a car is built. Remember these are 15-20 year old cars we are trying to push 3,4 or more times of what they have been originally designed. The problem is a lot of people don't want to spend on the right parts with the right people who can build them reliably then complain that their cars are not reliable.

Old 05-27-15, 07:10 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

I am giving the 1UZ a chance I just don't have the budget for the big mods yet. Also the majority of bolt-on, or at least non-custom, non-one-off parts are all in New Zealand or Australia, and shipping is expensive... . That is the answer to why the 1UZ is seldom modified versus 1JZ/2JZ.

It is a labor of love.
Old 05-28-15, 06:27 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

the early 1uz is a beast of a motor, its the aluminum block that becomes the weak factor on those motors vs the 2jz. there are reasons why a 2jz can survive so much boost and part of it has to do with the cast iron bottom end that could double as an anchor for a small ship. the 1uz is known to push large amounts of power though as I said before toyota used literally the same block for competition racing, they just decked it out with better parts. sort of like the earlier 1uz being better than the later 1uz, same block but different rods pistons, etc..

there is even documentation on what the "good rods" can handle nowadays and they also bend and break but its nearer to the 900 torque level.
then ask yourself, if a 1uz vvti has the same problem rods, would it also not have a "weak part"?
It 100% has that same weak part, now it might come into play at a different boost level or torque number than a 2jz, but that rod that is the same between both motors can only handle what that rod can handle, and after that they bend, then they break, then you get a hole in the block. its not even a guess that would happen if you put enough boost to a 96+ it will happen.

Its really not that unreasnable to have to change the rods on a motor before attempting more than 500hp.
I would feel safer about my build if I had at least the good rods, if not the aftermarket H beam rods.
See this is what I want to know, over and over again, has there been ANY documented failures of the 1UZ block or are we just assuming because of it being aluminum? the engine is pretty heavy for an aluminum engine, toyota might have a lot of material in there..

Originally Posted by gerrb
That my friend answers the thread title "Why don't you give the 1UZ the chance ? "

/thread

Who would not like a 400-500rwhp single or twin turbo sc400 ? I wanted one since my first SC.

but with the time and amount of money you will spend on building a RELIABLE 400-500rwhp twin or single or supercharged SC400 , you can have a MORE powerful , reliable 2jz car. Or let me put it this way , if your power goal is just 400-500rwhp, you will spend less money getting that on a 2jz and it will be even easier and less expensive to maintain. It is a no brainer for me.

The 1UZ had been in existence for more than 25 years. Some websites like lextreme which is dedicated to the 1UZ is one of the sites where one can probably get better answers. In my opinion there is a reason why these long time fanatics of 1UZ or tuners/builders do not push the stock internals to the same level the stock 2jz internals are pushed. Otherwise, these 1UZ fanatics/tuners/builders would have done it a long time ago since these engines have been long in existence even before the 2JZ.

It has been mentioned many times on this thread, not every one has same goals and purpose in building a car. The truth or reality is 98% of performance , tuner or built cars are not daily driven cars that is why people build them to the max of what their budget can. If they can afford a +1000rwhp build they will. When one has driven a reliable +850rwhp car , having fun with that 850 rwhp / 750 torque below 5000 RPM on the streets, I could almost guarantee you , that someone would like to have one if he can afford it. Reliability all depends on how a car is built. Remember these are 15-20 year old cars we are trying to push 3,4 or more times of what they have been originally designed. The problem is a lot of people don't want to spend on the right parts with the right people who can build them reliably then complain that their cars are not reliable.

I dont see how a supercharged 1UZ wouldnt be reliable, a supercharger setup is less maintenance than a turbo or twin turbo setup

Its time and time again that people assume to swap out the internals of the engine to make any decent power... then they go off on how they "had to spend so much money"

Whats the fear in breaking a 1UZ? I can get stacks of them over and over again for nothing...

and even more whats the fear when you have 3 cars... or 6...
Old 05-28-15, 08:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

The block wouldn't fail just because its aluminum, it is sleeved with the same stuff the iron blocks have. its just not as robust for long term high performance usage where heat dissipation becomes an issue for those kinds of motors but with the right cooling setup they should hold up fine. I bet you could push a 1uz pretty far with the right tuning and the aluminum block might not be that large of a huge factor. 500hp would be easy. its more the 800 that I don't really know much about. there aren't good lower compression headgaskets for it, unless you want to stack, but if you standalone it and feed it tons of E85, I bet you could easily push it till something breaks and with high compression you could get big hp and torque numbers pretty easy.
Old 05-28-15, 09:46 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

...there aren't good lower compression headgaskets for it...
Go straight to Cometic's site and you can order ones that will drop the compression almost into the 7's or push it close to 12
Old 05-29-15, 04:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by PseudoK
See this is what I want to know, over and over again, has there been ANY documented failures of the 1UZ block or are we just assuming because of it being aluminum? the engine is pretty heavy for an aluminum engine, toyota might have a lot of material in there..

I dont see how a supercharged 1UZ wouldnt be reliable, a supercharger setup is less maintenance than a turbo or twin turbo setup

Its time and time again that people assume to swap out the internals of the engine to make any decent power... then they go off on how they "had to spend so much money"

Whats the fear in breaking a 1UZ? I can get stacks of them over and over again for nothing...

and even more whats the fear when you have 3 cars... or 6...

You still don't get it ?

* First , nobody said that a supercharged 1UZ is unreliable ? Read again what was written on this thread, nobody said it.

* Are you serious that a 1UZ is as easy to maintain just like a 2jz ? You are joking right ? At times I wonder if you even do your research before you say things like the cost of v160 and cd0009 swap being the same when in fact not even close...rather half of each other. And don't say that the V160 had just risen in prices lately as you reasoned out why you said such thing ... they had, even before you have joined this forum. At times I just want to close my eyes and refrain from commenting on your posts but if I don't , I will hate seeing people being misled by some of your posts.

Try replacing the starter of a 1UZ and a 2JZ . Try replacing the spark plugs and wires of a 1UZ compared to a 2JZ. On a 1UZ you have to remove tons of parts to get to some parts. The more time someone spends working on your car the more expensive it takes. Don't just talk about the supercharger or the turbo component because that is not the only thing that comprise your powertrain / drivetrain. When you build a car you need to consider your whole power train / drive train to make the whole car RELIABLE or you will break things.

* It is not a question of being afraid to break a 1UZ . Just like the thousands of people and hundreds of motorshops , tuners around the country who build on the 2JZ than dare waste their time and money on building the 1UZ, it is wise for me to do the same since I have confirmed myself what they have been saying all along... the 2JZ route , to get power whether it is 400,500 or +1000rwhp, is cheaper and easier to accomplish and maintain compared to the 1UZ route.

Let me write this again ...it had been emphasized not only by me but quite a number of people on this thread (two of them had built the 1UZFE) ... and try to understand it better please

with the time and amount of money you will spend on building a RELIABLE 400-500rwhp twin or single or supercharged SC400 , you can have a MORE powerful , RELIABLE 2jz car. Or let me put it this way , if your power goal is just 400-500rwhp, you will spend less money getting that on a 2jz and it will be even easier and less expensive to maintain. It is even more of a no brainer as one's power goal go higher... cheaper and easier to attain it on 2JZ. Honestly , I don't know if there is a simpler way to explain it than how I just said it , for you to understand why I didn't give the 1UZ a chance as you claim. Damn, you seem to know what I did in life. Well, that is not even right. I did give it a chance cause I was stubborn but I am glad some people with more sense woke me up and showed me the reality between a 1UZ and 2JZ .

Rather than telling me, since I have tons of cars, why don't I build the 1UZ... why don't you build one yourself ... just a 500rwhp 1UZFE , don't even think of going +800rwhp. You don't even know my goals in my builds and you keep on questioning me and asking me why not build one. Are you really serious ? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME since my power goals in all my cars are at least 800rwhp. It is doable on a 1UZ but it doesn't make sense to spend more money when you can do it a lot less on a 2jz. I have said this on my initial posts on this thread. Start a build thread. Show everyone here how to do a 500rwhp 1UZFE. I am serious. Rather than being a builder on your keyboard and forum threads proving yourself to everyone....truly build one that is running. I have nothing to prove with my 2JZs.....lmaol...I got them. You started this thread calling me out , to prove your point. I guess it's time for you to build a reliable 500rwhp 1UZFE and prove yourself. When I say reliable, all the power train / drivetrain like transmission and others can handle such power reliably and not just a matter of slapping a turbo or supercharger on a 1UZ engine. I wish you all the luck.

I just don't understand why you keep on telling me to do a 1UZ ? Are you willing to provide me what I need for my car ? Oh , I always wanted a twin turbo SC400, I can't wait. I will tell you what. Send me everything I need to build a 1UZFE with my goals in mind.. the engine, the transmission, the differential, driveshaft , axles, fuel system to support my goal, the engine management system to support my goals, the wiring harness, induction (boost)components, exhaust components. Do we have a deal ? My power goals can be done on a 1UZFE , reliably with the right components. It is just that I am not spending that kind of money.

Apparently money is not an issue with you since you said "I can get stacks of them over and over again for nothing..." . Again, , it simply tells me, you don't even know the consequences of a blown engine, depending on what breaks, can deliver pieces of metals on your turbos , head and other parts which consequently damages more components . You break things, the more time you spend working on the car. Time is money. You think it is a matter of just replacing the engine when a catastrophe happens ? Or again you don't know... that's why you say you can get stacks of 1UZ. There is a reason why people would like to replace the internals as they build more power. They don't want to take the risk in damaging other components by a blown engine because it is costly. It may take with it other expensive components of your power train / drive train . Well probably not for you when money is not an issue. Unfortunately for many of us, we value every cent and the time we spend on our cars.

I have heard a lot of guys talk like you about the 1UZFE, even locally , but so far nobody I have seen built a 500rwhp 1UZFE. They were all just pencil pushers or keyboard warriors... no build . The very person who knew what he was talking about built one, Ryan (SC400TT) , and he himself said... "IT IS PRICEY compared to a 2jz build for the same power goals". Which is exactly the reason why many would go the 2JZ route .

Have you even tried calling well known builders / motorshops / tuners in the country and ask them your question "Why they build the 2JZ and why not the 1UZ ? " . I suggest you do . My first SC was an SC400. I was stubborn as a mule like you guys who had or have an SC400. Well of course, we have to love and defend our own. Spent countless times talking to different builders who knew what they were doing. I thought I can attain my power goals with a twin turbo SC400 without spending tons. I was proven wrong hence I turned my attention to the 2JZ power plant and never looked back.

But many I guess wouldn't just believe especially those with an SC400 like I did, we have to stubbornly love and defend our own.. ... so all I suggest is build your power making 1UZFE , start a thread so everyone can see. Don't cut corners and just slap a supercharger and tell everyone you are making high hp, that is easy to say. Install the right supporting components to support that power reliably. We will commend you for your work,seriously ! It can be done, no doubt (that is not the question here) ... just not as cheap and easily as the 2jz especially once you are at the +800rwhp level.

So, spend your time (you will need a lot of it customizing) and go work on that power making 1UZFE now rather than lecturing us ,who do not know as much as you do . Can't wait to read about your completed high hp 1UZFE. I will be the first to tip my hat for you . I am serious, cause I want to see more high HP 1UZFE. So far I have only seen or read about one 800rwhp 1UZFE (I wonder why ???) even if they have been in existence for more than 25 years. Even 500rwhp 1UZFE ..I can count on my right hand fingers...oh btw, I only have 3 fingers on that hand (just kidding )

Last edited by gerrb; 05-29-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-29-15, 07:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah I am not sure why you would say people fear the 1uz, doesn't really make sense why would anyone fear an engine.
Not wanting to waste money and time is more like the real answer, and a 1uz is difficult to build. remember no bolt ons available means custom almost everything.
I am going to have to agree with gerrb instead of asking over and over again about it why not just go for it and let us know how it works out since you have declared all the information on rods etc.. misinformation.
go ahead and boost one and let us know, maybe pick one up with the skinny rods since it doesn't make a difference, but you really know it does.

good info on the headgasket maynanator, as long as its an MLS it should be a good option then.
Old 05-29-15, 02:21 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my take..
I used to hate 1UZs, once I fund out that they are easy to boost I immediately changed my mind...I am a die hard 2jz/1jz guy.

But the first Gen 1UZ is very potential and I would boost one when the time comes..it would make the same power a stock 2jz will make if not more!!

Junkyard 1UZ from a 92 SC400, E85, stock fuel rail, Haltech EMS, R154 , S366 make 700+ all day long like the 2jzs and its really not that hard to boost them (Turbo) flip the manifold upside down and weld a cross over pipe.

There is nothing wrong with having a 800-1000hp car and not drive it, my car made 700hp and I drove everyday and beat on it everyday..building one to make 900-1000hp and it will be driven and beaten..
Some like to have a garage queen, some like trailer queen and there is nothing wrong with that!! different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-29-15, 03:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

^^ more good info. The classic manifold flip is buried in some build threads, its an oldie but a goodie.
I want to do the same thing but with an aem and a 350z trans =) it will 100% be a 92 or a 93 sc400.

For the record I actually do intend to build one which is why I did a lot of research over the years, and had I not had the pleasure of working on a 2jz (forged by the hands of ... himself, well you know the saying), I wouldn't have the experience to build a 1uz properly, or even have the confidence to tackle it.

at first I can't even say I setup my GE na-t properly alot of learning went into it and that is with bolt on parts that come with no instructions. for the 1uz, you dont even get bolt on parts, so custom parts its up to you to make sure it will work as intended, in the end I like to think I know the ropes about turbo setups and could build a 1uz with enough time and patience.

also the 2uz has the same rods as the later 1uz, and there is documented evidence of those motors throwing the rods when a TRD supercharger is installed. some do it with the stock pulley, majority of them fail if you upgrade to a larger psi pulley. this is why the TRD 4.7L supercharger was discontinued around 2004 for a ton of models like the tundra and GX. some say it was the introduction of vvti, but if you go back and look at the record the non vvti 2uz across all models, toyota started to discontinue the supercharger before vvti came out like for say the tundra. some say its also where the 2UZ was built, as tundras and such are built stateside, but the lexus models and landcruisers are built in Japan. difference in those engines, not sure to be honest.
There are many 4.7L owners that uninstall the supercharger for that very reason, the engine will pretty much never give up, unless you throw the rods as those have the iron blocks as well.
Old 05-30-15, 09:58 AM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb

/thread

from what I hear in peoples builds it costs quite a bit to NA-T or GTE swap and the GTE doesnt even just drop in you have to pay a couple grand to wire merge.

a GTE with full wiring is around $2k

now I can get an adaption kit for an M112 or M90 for $2 - $3k, and suprisingly M90 superchargers and M112 superchargers are only a couple hundred dollars used.
the only thing left is a couple hundred in fuel delivery and then a tune, I hear 7MGTE injectors are an upgrade for the 1UZ,

last time I saw an M112 Supercharged 1UZ the dyno said it was close to 600HP

Last edited by PseudoK; 05-30-15 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??