SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Project Future Value of Fact SC300 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 08:12 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Project Future Value of Fact SC300 5spd

Ok I was looking at autotrader and there are 4 factory 5spds for sale in the country with price around $4,500. So here is my question what do you think factory 5spd will be worth in the years listed below? The good thing about clublexus is we can look back and see how accurate people will be 20 years from now.

10 years (2025)
15 years (2030)
20 years (2035)

My thoughts
10 years (2025) - $9,250
15 years (2030) - $18,604
20 years (2035) - $37,420
Old 04-15-15, 09:22 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

The value of any of those cars will actually increase only if it has a meaning to the car culture. Not many people know about the SC in general, sure a decent percentage will know but it's not the majority. We all know it's considered to be one of the first cars made by 3D modeling, it has a extremely well aged design of exterior and interior. Also the fact it is quite reliable besides some electronic things going out. Truth is right now nobody cares about the SC except the people who really know its value.

It's up to us to make the SC more valuable in the end, to really bring it out into the world, this can be done through more SC meets, more custom aftermarket items becoming available or made by the community but mostly if it seen by the entertainment industry.
Old 04-15-15, 10:21 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

In ten years clean examples with no issues and low mileage might break $7-8k
Tastefully modded examples might pull $13-15k
And professionally swapped SC's may pull $18-20k

But I really can't see them exceeding that besides crazy hyper inflation after a dollar crash instigated by world war 3 and a credit bubble burst. So yeah pretty unlikely... or is it...
Old 04-15-15, 11:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The value has leveled off for factory stock examples. The $4500 average for a stock 5-speed doesn't faze me in the least unless it's truly a basket case. Usual suspects suspension, braking and other modifications should add a bit of value but will probably be around $6500-$7000 max depending on condition. Unless it's a 1997. Very well sorted no-expense-spared NA-T's will be worth those figures or a bit more. And properly sorted 2JZGTE swapped examples will go for more yet, up to around $15k-$20k I think for the rarest USDM GTE V160 swapped SCs. At least that's the highest I've heard of. I've always said that makes sense because if that highest-spec JZ drivetrain has been swapped in correctly it's basically on par with what other bulletproof/proven RWD high power manual transmission coupes go for used.

^^ All accounting for inflation of course. As for popularity, we'll see. As more collectors and serious modifiers get involved and the cars become more classic than practical there can only be two things that really explode the popularity of SC's: 1991+ JDM JZZ30 Soarers becoming DOT legal for importation in short order... and a high powered SC being showcased in a good movie.

Other than having good insurance to cover the replacement value of the car as it would sell used I didn't buy an SC to see it appreciate. Would be cool if it did though.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-15-15 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 12:05 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As I said in another thread not to long ago the SC just doesn't strike me as a car that is going to appreciate much beyond inflationary rates. It's just not a mass market appealing car like an early Ferrari or AC Cobra (international racing pedigrees) or even something like a Boss 429 Mustang or pretty much any HEMI headed MOPAR (height of the muscle car era cars). The SC wasn't revolutionary in anything it did, was never really raced at high levels of international competition, hasn't been featured in blockbuster movies or popularized via video games and has no real special models other than some TT JDM variations which aren't particularly special. It really only appeals to tuners because we know what they are capable of on a low budget.

I think a car like the TT Supra has a legit chance to REALLY appreciate over the next 20 or so years because of the reasons I listed above. Hell, they've basically held/slightly increased their value for 20 years now.
Old 04-16-15, 12:27 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Fairly common discussion around her IMO. The only thing we have going for us is time. Everyday that goes by there has to be at least a couple SC's given up to a salvage yard, or totaled in an accident etc etc.. So over time these will become more and more rare. When myself or any of my car friends are in our 40's - 50's, I have no doubt we'll drool when we see a properly taken care of and modded SC. My parents would freak when they see a really clean Chevy Bel Air, which to the SC's generation is like a Ford Taurus SHO or MAYBE a Chrysler 300.. I think in time, we'll come out ok but no, we'll never get the hype of a CUDA, real Cobra, Challenger, 30's Coupes etc etc..
Old 04-16-15, 12:36 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXMAG
As I said in another thread not to long ago the SC just doesn't strike me as a car that is going to appreciate much beyond inflationary rates. It's just not a mass market appealing car like an early Ferrari or AC Cobra (international racing pedigrees) or even something like a Boss 429 Mustang or pretty much any HEMI headed MOPAR (height of the muscle car era cars). The SC wasn't revolutionary in anything it did, was never really raced at high levels of international competition, hasn't been featured in blockbuster movies or popularized via video games and has no real special models other than some TT JDM variations which aren't particularly special. It really only appeals to tuners because we know what they are capable of on a low budget.

I think a car like the TT Supra has a legit chance to REALLY appreciate over the next 20 or so years because of the reasons I listed above. Hell, they've basically held/slightly increased their value for 20 years now.
Yeah I think a mint low-mileage TT-hardtop supra could hit 6 figures in 15-20 years like a 69 Camaro now. It's the sexiest most reliable car from the 90's and IMO, aside from an Audi A7 I don't think any car made can go toe to toe with the Supra in terms of visual sex appeal. They're icons of this generation and FF7 is only going to push the cars value further and further up. A new Toyota Supra would have no affect on the value of 93.5-95 Supra TT hardtops. I don't think Toyota would ever over-engineer a power plant like they did with the 2jz again. I don't think the new Supra's transmission will be able to handle as much power/torque/traction as the V160 getrag can. I don't think the new Supra will have the same sex appeal. I don't think a better car will be made for a long time, if ever.

If I could afford it I would ****** up a low mileage TT MKIV and sit on it with a few weekend cruises here and there. It's got nowhere to go but up. The SC is just a fun car with a similar heritage and a bulletproof drivetrain with a 5th gear made of glass. In a perfect world I'd say 5-speed SC's should appreciate similarly, but they won't, it doesn't have the same appeal. As the number of good SC's on the roads decreases value might creep up a touch, but Who'd want to pay upwards of $10k for a stock 5 speed SC in good condition? Even with inflation adjustments, I wouldn't. Would any of you? With the things I see people say on this forum about how much they'd pay for an SC I doubt it. And if that's how we feel on the forums, then how could we expect non-enthusiasts to pay more?
Old 04-16-15, 12:41 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Yeah I think a mint low-mileage TT-hardtop supra could hit 6 figures in 15-20 years like a 69 Camaro now. It's the sexiest most reliable car from the 90's and IMO, aside from an Audi A7 I don't think any car made can go toe to toe with the Supra in terms of visual sex appeal. They're icons of this generation and FF7 is only going to push the cars value further and further up. A new Toyota Supra would have no affect on the value of 93.5-95 Supra TT hardtops. I don't think Toyota would ever over-engineer a power plant like they did with the 2jz again. I don't think the new Supra's transmission will be able to handle as much power/torque/traction as the V160 getrag can. I don't think the new Supra will have the same sex appeal. I don't think a better car will be made for a long time, if ever.
1000% agree. I'll probably try to scoop one up in the next year or so now that I have the means to actually afford one.
Old 04-16-15, 05:14 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
If I could afford it I would ****** up a low mileage TT MKIV and sit on it with a few weekend cruises here and there. It's got nowhere to go but up. The SC is just a fun car with a similar heritage and a bulletproof drivetrain with a 5th gear made of glass. In a perfect world I'd say 5-speed SC's should appreciate similarly, but they won't, it doesn't have the same appeal. As the number of good SC's on the roads decreases value might creep up a touch, but Who'd want to pay upwards of $10k for a stock 5 speed SC in good condition? Even with inflation adjustments, I wouldn't. Would any of you? With the things I see people say on this forum about how much they'd pay for an SC I doubt it. And if that's how we feel on the forums, then how could we expect non-enthusiasts to pay more?
Well said ....

With the stock drive train, I don't see the SCs appreciating much. One of the reasons , the MKIVs value are up is because of the power that can be extracted from its power train especially if it is a TT. The NA MKIVs are selling because it is a good place to start with for those who do not have enough funds or want to build a beefier power train.

The movies might have helped a bit drive up their prices but the real reason as I see it is , No other power plant in the 90's can give you so much power with just bolt ons or beef it up and get +1000rwhp and don't have to spend as much as what it takes to mod another car to be in the +1000rwhp level.
Old 04-16-15, 05:39 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 yrs -9000
15 yrs-12,000
20yrs- $270.35 Thats my estimated scrap cost.

Truth is we dont know the future of the automotive industry and what will happen, for now the best thing we can do is to invest in our personal happiness. If by chance you wake up one day and decide to cash in on a goldmine sitting in your garage, I will be to chance. Sadly many of these cars we have wont make it to that time. With the "hyper intelligent" drivers around us everyday in traffic, carelessly parking next to us, and using their cells to write novels to their friends, Its gunna be tough to see them into the golden years.

I wish you all best of luck, from the bottom of my heart, Enjoy your time with them, Modify but never destroy them, and never forget its just a car... (of course filled with hopes, dreams, pain, blood, sweat, gasoline, oil, water, various bodily fluids, hatred, love, fear, problems, joy, heartache, and satisfaction.)
Old 04-16-15, 05:57 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
10 yrs -9000
15 yrs-12,000
20yrs- $270.35 Thats my estimated scrap cost.

Truth is we dont know the future of the automotive industry and what will happen, for now the best thing we can do is to invest in our personal happiness. If by chance you wake up one day and decide to cash in on a goldmine sitting in your garage, I will be to chance. Sadly many of these cars we have wont make it to that time. With the "hyper intelligent" drivers around us everyday in traffic, carelessly parking next to us, and using their cells to write novels to their friends, Its gunna be tough to see them into the golden years.

I wish you all best of luck, from the bottom of my heart, Enjoy your time with them, Modify but never destroy them, and never forget its just a car... (of course filled with hopes, dreams, pain, blood, sweat, gasoline, oil, water, various bodily fluids, hatred, love, fear, problems, joy, heartache, and satisfaction.)
Perfect.

I'd quote all of that for my signature but it would take away from my ultra detailed and well put together picture..
Old 04-16-15, 07:50 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I truly feel once the soarer becomes 25 years old you will see a up swing but only the 1jz 5 speeds
anyone who invested in doing a gte v160 has a better change when it comes to getting your money back plus more if you wait till the v160 is not made anymore.
Old 04-18-15, 01:02 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
I truly feel once the soarer becomes 25 years old you will see a up swing but only the 1jz 5 speeds
anyone who invested in doing a gte v160 has a better change when it comes to getting your money back plus more if you wait till the v160 is not made anymore.
^^ I do agree.

As to the V160/161... that's still not the case right now but it will be. Thank some influential names in the Toyota dealer network (Curt @ Elmhurst for one) and some key performance transmission shops for keeping it around as long as it has been already, including a fair number of internal replacement parts.

Unlike the R154, which I do believe is no longer produced even if there still is (I assume) a bit of expensive new old stock left in Japanese warehouses.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-20-15 at 03:57 AM.