SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anybody wana Guesstimate with me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 03:48 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anybody wana Guesstimate with me?

I got my first job at an advance auto parts and lo and behold on my second day somone backed into my baby and left, no cameras caught the plate only that it was a white honda, an old lady who checked her battery, my deductable is $1000 Dollars. Im really scared to just pop it out and bondo it especially in south FL, would cutting a new panel and replacing this one be stretching it?

TLDR; My car got hit what do.

Anybody wana Guesstimate with me?-jsiv6r6.jpg

Anybody wana Guesstimate with me?-lybhsxf.jpg

Last edited by BlackIRON; 04-13-15 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 04-13-15, 04:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That's a big dent. It should be possible to cut the panel out and put in a new one. A member made a thread about it years ago and his car came out fine. Will you be doing the work yourself? I hear body shops charge a lot to work on the rear quarter panels.
Old 04-13-15, 04:57 PM
lexsc3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the paint cracked? I would just take out the interior panels in that corner and take a mallet to it. That is big and it will pop out easily. May take you a couple hours and your arm will be sore the next day but its better than paying 1k to fix it. Buy a rubber mallet and don't use a hammer. It an easy place to get to.
Old 04-13-15, 06:32 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If you wan't it repaired correctly it will entail locating a parts SC, getting another rear quarter panel cut out to match yours, then the old piece cut out and the new piece welded in. I got a few quotes to repair my SC that (still) has a mess on the rear quarter panel. Should run you between 500-800 from what I've seen. This is a guesstimate.
Old 04-13-15, 06:35 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

yea that's an easy place to fix, use a heat gun so the paint doesn't crack and rubber mallet it back.
Old 04-13-15, 06:57 PM
ONI92SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey oldman, sorry to hear about your "baby", if this event happened on your employers property and you can prove it, you can legally hold them and their insurer libel for the damages and or reimbursement for the deductible you'd have to pay your coverage provider.

But you must have filed a police report and filed and incident report with your employer. Also, having the event in question captured on camera & time coded with proof of no preexisting damage then from a legal stand point you should be golden.

On a side note, you may want to make sure the frame hasn't been bent due to the negligence of the hit and run driver. And thanks again for all your advise in the thread i posted earlier.
Old 04-13-15, 08:15 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ONI92SC400
Hey oldman, sorry to hear about your "baby", if this event happened on your employers property and you can prove it, you can legally hold them and their insurer libel for the damages and or reimbursement for the deductible you'd have to pay your coverage provider.

But you must have filed a police report and filed and incident report with your employer. Also, having the event in question captured on camera & time coded with proof of no preexisting damage then from a legal stand point you should be golden.

On a side note, you may want to make sure the frame hasn't been bent due to the negligence of the hit and run driver. And thanks again for all your advise in the thread i posted earlier.
i'm not the one with the damage lol.
Old 04-14-15, 06:47 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar thing happen about a year ago. Same sort of dent (location, depth, size). I had a dent repair guy come out and for $300 he made it go away. Can't tell it was even hit.
Old 04-14-15, 06:58 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldn't you use a plunger initially, and then work it from there?
Old 04-14-15, 09:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would have an expert look at that first, its in a location where they can get behind the panel pretty easily they might be able to get it 95% back out and then just a little bit of smoothening wouldn't be so bad. Its not completely crumpled so I would talk to a body guy first, might not be perfect but close enough to fill and fix.
this makes me not want to park my SC anywhere.
Old 04-14-15, 01:01 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This exact same thing happened to me. They pulled it out as much as possible, sanded, bondoed, and painted. It came out fine.
Old 04-14-15, 01:20 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i persoanlly have no experience when it comes to body work so i wont be touching anything. I have not called around but a friend of mine who has a parts SC said hed sell me the panel for 400 bucks. Im just worried that when it popped out and over time here in the heat it will shrivel up and look terrible.
Old 04-14-15, 01:28 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

This is def a job for the paintless dent repair guys. We had a local guy come out to a car show and did some on the spot work there and wow, some of the creases he got out was incredible. If the paint isnt cracked you should absolutely look into it.
Old 04-14-15, 01:29 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
i persoanlly have no experience when it comes to body work so i wont be touching anything. I have not called around but a friend of mine who has a parts SC said hed sell me the panel for 400 bucks. Im just worried that when it popped out and over time here in the heat it will shrivel up and look terrible.
Its actually just the opposite. That panel was in its factory position for like what, 20 years? If anything, it WANTS to be in its original position, just have to get it back that way first and then tend to the little bumps etc with a paintless repair guy.
Old 04-14-15, 06:54 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dent is not what we would call a "soft" dent, it is locked @ the rear edge of the QTR panel, it is quite fixable but will require some body filler & paint. You should be able to find some one in your area to fix it for a reasonable price. Below a grand I would say for sure.

Quick Reply: Anybody wana Guesstimate with me?