SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ezlip pro

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 03:21 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ezlip pro

Before anyone drops a comment on how lame these "homedepot" lips are, consider how I came upon this product first:

Long story short, I entered an email thing on the EZlip website ("enter to win a lip!") without a real care (Who wins stuff online anymore?) and one week later received an email stating I won their Pro lip. I received it shipped with towelette type cleaner wipes and adhesion promoter, lanyard, and an air freshner.

I figure I'd give it a try since, heck, it was free.

INSTALL was easy, however, 97'-up bumpers are not flush at the bottom and it doesn't work well, causing the EZlip to flare out at a weird angle upwards on the bottom sides of the oem bumper. I decided to flip the EZlip around and mount it onto the surface of the bumper instead of below: (Excuse my car for lacking neatness, it is a daily driver rounding off about 140 miles per day.)

You can tell from the pictures that I rushed the install, as you can see it does not align well all along the horizon of the bumper. Taking the bumper off the car could have helped this process, but since I was only testing it, bleh.

I then wanted to see how it would look like painted white. I busted out the Plasti Dip and applied it. Yes, I know the whites are not similar, but I'm betting a few runs on the freeway will mask that fact real quick.

One thing I forgot to do was round the ends of the EZlip so it doesn't look like it will clip people's ankle's as they walk by.

I'm torn as to which color looks better, but figure I will see how the white PlastiDIp lasts after a few scrapes up the driveway and overshooting parking.

The 3M backing holds on to the bumper quite well. As long as you have paint and clean the area well, it's not going to give. I tried to realign the lip and the adhesion wouldn't give, instead it started to split/rip the lip instead. The lip itself is too soft of material. I wish it was a bit stiffer so that horizontal placement wouldn't be so tricky, but I also understand the cost and damage factor of the product would be compromised.

I also thought about freeway driving and if the EZlip would look lame, pressed against the force of the wind since it is so soft. Again, it was free, I am grateful for that alone and suppose it will suffice since it does enhance the aesthetics of the car significantly. The horizontal fitting bothers me and regret not taking the bumper off to properly align it, but I guess I'll just roll with it until I grow tired of it or find a replacement.

Peace.
Old 04-08-15, 03:51 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to see how it fares after a few of those 140 mile days, although for a free item it doesn't seem so bad.

BTW I like how you have your bumper painted with the black accents, it works really well with the white paint, and if my car was white I'm pretty sure I'd do that same thing with the bumper.
Old 04-08-15, 07:32 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad, getting the wobble out is very annoying. But it's better than mine. I mounted my homed lip under the bumper and cut the outsides so they were level with the front.

I was thinking of using a strip of steel and mount it at the bottom and behind the lip. I predict it should hold the form at 80mph, just been debating on what to use to mount, bolts or screws would be hard to hide but I don't know if 3m tape would hold.
Old 04-08-15, 07:33 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Originally Posted by eknine9
I'm curious to see how it fares after a few of those 140 mile days, although for a free item it doesn't seem so bad.

BTW I like how you have your bumper painted with the black accents, it works really well with the white paint, and if my car was white I'm pretty sure I'd do that same thing with the bumper.
Thank you. Masking the accents was a pain because of the curvature, again, much easier if bumper was off the car. But having the mentality that I only wanted to try it out to see if I liked it or not, I raised the car on jack stands and my wife, who volunteered (has more patience than I), did the masking. For a white car, I do prefer it. I find the resemblance of the grill too reminiscent of other cars e.g., Dodge Viper.

I used Plasti Dip on the grill and fog light/vents. As a long time auto body paint veteran, I find Plasti Dip to be the best invention next to beer, to have come along.
Old 04-08-15, 07:36 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

plastidip is epic indeed. is that the 8 foot kit? did you have any left over or did you use up all of it?
Old 04-08-15, 07:42 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Originally Posted by eight
Not bad, getting the wobble out is very annoying. But it's better than mine. I mounted my homed lip under the bumper and cut the outsides so they were level with the front.

I was thinking of using a strip of steel and mount it at the bottom and behind the lip. I predict it should hold the form at 80mph, just been debating on what to use to mount, bolts or screws would be hard to hide but I don't know if 3m tape would hold.

EZlip competitor Allfit provides self tapping screws and square washers with their version of the lip. Maybe look into something like that?

3M double tape would hold if there's enough contact, but it is subjected to your actual application (how heavy, substrate/contact points, etc.).

I'd like to see a picture of what you currently have if and when you get a chance.
Old 04-08-15, 07:50 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldManTan
plastidip is epic indeed. is that the 8 foot kit? did you have any left over or did you use up all of it?

No doubt, Plasti Dip is dope. Even my wheels are dipped in Copper Metalizer (black base). Looks perfect with the combination of dust and dirt.

As for the Ezlip, it was the 8ft strip. If I remember correctly, I had about 4-5inches left over. I suggest leaving a bit more than what I have (at ends). Although I measured it to be flush with the edge of the bumper (Start and end), I feel a bit more to extend a bit beyond bumper edges (wheel well) would probably have looked better, in my opinion.

Last edited by nsjuice; 04-08-15 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 10:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

That looks like it would pass if it was put on properly.
Old 04-09-15, 06:24 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the idea but damn get some of that waviness out of it......makes it look like hell

Im sure it would look a lot better if it was straight
Old 04-09-15, 06:42 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It looks good to me. I had the regular EZ lip and got torn up pretty fast. Plus it got super wavy and it didn't want to stick to the sides of the front bumper.
Old 04-09-15, 01:31 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I like the idea but damn get some of that waviness out of it......makes it look like hell

Im sure it would look a lot better if it was straight

IT's easier said than done, because of the mere fact that it's at such a low angle when on the car. And remember, you're eyeballing it while unraveling the lip and adhesive backing. I didn't see the waviness until it was put on completely and by that time, there's no way of readjusting without tearing it up. As mentioned before, it's made of foam and trying to pull it off to adjust, once settled will result in ripping.

If I were to do it again, I'd take the bumper off the car and put it on stand, make some layout markings on the bumper beforehand, and have another person eyeball it from different angles to make sure the lip is set straight.

Last edited by nsjuice; 04-09-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 04:16 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there's a reason it was free. worth a shot though.
Old 04-09-15, 04:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If you asked for my honest opinion I would tell you to just take that thing off and either try to make it straight or keep it off the car if that's how it's going to look.
Old 04-09-15, 08:10 PM
DrMcPho
Rookie

The waviness... I know everyone is saying that but if it looks straight it would forsure look nice! I also don't mind the sides flaring out
Old 04-09-15, 08:50 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

redo the middle part and post a new pic of it. it could be better then a home depot style lip.

Quick Reply: Ezlip pro