SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Old Lexus / New to Forums

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 09:02 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the good side, you will be assured that those things have been done. Its regular maintenance and should be done. its the added assurance that things will be ok once they are done.
Old 04-07-15, 09:15 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ftrabbit
I am starting to doubt if I got as good of a deal as I thought lol. Got a call from my mechanic today. Seems like it still has a lot of the original parts on there.

Timing belt is due to be changed
Serpentine belt needs to be changed (I can do this one and I knew the belt was worn)
The car is misfiring and he recommends changing spark plugs and wires
The car is leaking oil and needs new valve covers

I am starting to wonder if I made a very expensive mistake
Well the timing belt is a pain, the rest you can do yourself though. Just go invest in a decent ratchet/socket set, you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish. There are a lot of DIY threads on here you can grab instructions from.

The car doesn't look bad, a little work she'll be good again. As far as the timing belt is concerned, when was the last time it was changed? Some people never change them, so don't be scared to put some mileage on it if it's due now or soon. Someone got 190K out of his before he changed it, I'm sure others have done more. I just did mine at 130K, and the old one still looked good(18 years old).
Old 04-07-15, 09:30 AM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
Well the timing belt is a pain, the rest you can do yourself though. Just go invest in a decent ratchet/socket set, you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish. There are a lot of DIY threads on here you can grab instructions from.

The car doesn't look bad, a little work she'll be good again. As far as the timing belt is concerned, when was the last time it was changed? Some people never change them, so don't be scared to put some mileage on it if it's due now or soon. Someone got 190K out of his before he changed it, I'm sure others have done more. I just did mine at 130K, and the old one still looked good(18 years old).
Looks like it was changed at 89000 miles. The car currently has 231k on it. I have done little repairs on my past vehicle but I will search around and see if it is something I can handle. I am definitely at beginner level when it comes to mechanical work.
Old 04-07-15, 10:00 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ftrabbit
I am starting to doubt if I got as good of a deal as I thought lol. Got a call from my mechanic today. Seems like it still has a lot of the original parts on there.

Timing belt is due to be changed
Serpentine belt needs to be changed (I can do this one and I knew the belt was worn)
The car is misfiring and he recommends changing spark plugs and wires
The car is leaking oil and needs new valve covers

I am starting to wonder if I made a very expensive mistake
How much did you pay for it? Spark plug and wires aren't that expensive and fairly easy to replace.

Didn't you look for leaks, see and feel the idle etc prior to purchasing the vehicle?

Doesn't seem like a mistake to me.
Old 04-07-15, 10:30 AM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
How much did you pay for it? Spark plug and wires aren't that expensive and fairly easy to replace.

Didn't you look for leaks, see and feel the idle etc prior to purchasing the vehicle?

Doesn't seem like a mistake to me.
I did check for leaks And fluid levels before I bought it and it did look good. I didn't notice any stains underneath the car and I haven't seen anything in my driveway. So i was surprised to hear about it leaking.

I paid $2500 for it. I knew it was lurching a bit when I test drove it. Probably not the smartest thing to do but i was on a really short time frame of needing another car.

I'll look at the DIY for changing the spark plugs. Thanks everyone for the support and good advice!
Old 04-07-15, 04:51 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL! that's the frustrating part, you bought a used car,but with a few dollars & some TLC this one will return the favor & can be the fine lady she once was with out to much investment, though once you get the fever, you may go all out. That be your choice. These cars are durable, the 1uz is an iron clad engine, unfortunatetly the parts for these cars can be expensive, or hard to get, but that is where CL comes in, there is a lot of useful info here & helpful club members to guide you on your adventure of owning an icon. The other car looked like a crack ho on her last legs & really would"ve tapped your wallet. Treat your new ride well & it will do the same for you & enjoy the ride!
Old 04-07-15, 05:56 PM
Toysled
Driver

Nice find!! Welcome to CL!!
Old 04-07-15, 06:09 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
LOL! that's the frustrating part, you bought a used car,but with a few dollars & some TLC this one will return the favor & can be the fine lady she once was with out to much investment, though once you get the fever, you may go all out. That be your choice. These cars are durable, the 1uz is an iron clad engine, unfortunatetly the parts for these cars can be expensive, or hard to get, but that is where CL comes in, there is a lot of useful info here & helpful club members to guide you on your adventure of owning an icon. The other car looked like a crack ho on her last legs & really would"ve tapped your wallet. Treat your new ride well & it will do the same for you & enjoy the ride!
Thank you! Your post cracked me up lol. I agree the other car was a crack hoe. This one is going to be awesome once it gets up and going and then I can look into the mods. I will need struts and springs soon anyway.
Old 04-07-15, 06:11 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Toysled
Nice find!! Welcome to CL!!
Thanks! I am so glad I joined.