SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tape Deck Issue

Old 04-02-15, 06:38 PM
meptrep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tape Deck Issue

Hey, what's up? I've been looking through previous threads and it seems that no one has had this same issue I'm currently having. My tape deck is working fine but the actual mechanical part of it has sort of fallen down inside of the radio, so it's difficult to put a tape in or eject it and the stereo won't actually play any tapes since I guess it can't lock it into place or something.

I'm not really sure how I would go about fixing this, and I don't even know how to remove the radio. It's just a stock radio from all Lexus SC300s, not the fancier one.

Thanks...
Old 04-02-15, 07:01 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by meptrep
Hey, what's up? I've been looking through previous threads and it seems that no one has had this same issue I'm currently having. My tape deck is working fine but the actual mechanical part of it has sort of fallen down inside of the radio, so it's difficult to put a tape in or eject it and the stereo won't actually play any tapes since I guess it can't lock it into place or something.

I'm not really sure how I would go about fixing this, and I don't even know how to remove the radio. It's just a stock radio from all Lexus SC300s, not the fancier one.

Thanks...
Park your car on a flat area, put the car in neutral with the handbrake on, and pull the plastic cover under the leather portion of your shift **** down.

Use a phillips to remove the two vertically-aligned screws. Pull off the shift ****. Pull on your cupholder door such that the cuppy part comes out. Unscrew the two screws under it. Now open your console cubby door and pull up on the center trim. You'll want to pry open the plate that surrounds the shifting area.

Pull some more and the whole thing surrounding the stereo/AC will come off. There's a few connectors that aren't too hard to unplug. Once you have that removed or out of the way, you'll have access to the screws that keep the stereo in place. You'll want to dig up some photos as I don't remember the specific cables that connect to its rear.
Old 04-02-15, 07:07 PM
meptrep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GISguy
Park your car on a flat area, put the car in neutral with the handbrake on, and pull the plastic cover under the leather portion of your shift **** down.

Use a phillips to remove the two vertically-aligned screws. Pull off the shift ****. Pull on your cupholder door such that the cuppy part comes out. Unscrew the two screws under it. Now open your console cubby door and pull up on the center trim. You'll want to pry open the plate that surrounds the shifting area.

Pull some more and the whole thing surrounding the stereo/AC will come off. There's a few connectors that aren't too hard to unplug. Once you have that removed or out of the way, you'll have access to the screws that keep the stereo in place. You'll want to dig up some photos as I don't remember the specific cables that connect to its rear.
Thanks, this is at least a start. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and post here if I run into anymore issues. I'll try taking some photos of the actual issue tomorrow as well since my description is pretty terrible.
Old 04-02-15, 07:50 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mL9cl5DDyc
here you go.
Old 04-02-15, 11:23 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Wow, couldn't have been more perfect lol, good find.