How rare is my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 10:38 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How rare is my car

As the title suggests I'm looking to find out how rare is my 1992 sc300

I bought my SC300 about 2 years ago because I needed a car badly for daily driving. I figured something simple yet fun to drive would do. So I picked up a White 92 SC300 5 speed manual Hardtop which looked to be just a regular unmodified car.

So I put the money I needed to buy the car together and payed for it in cash and walked away. the car had about 150K on it which did not bother me that much since the millage was lower than the 10-12K/ year mark that I like to go by when picking up used cars.

The bad parts in the deal came after. It turned out that the power steering pump had gone bad, the coolant lines had been leaking and the interior was completely torn up from old age. So I did what any one who care about the car would do and started to take care of the car as if I was going to keep it forever.

I redid the entire interior, restoring it back to its original color and materials. But I did not stop there. I popped open the hood and went at it. Since the car had so many years under its belt I decided to give it a restart on life. The choice was simple, I redid all the bearings and seals, water pump and water lines, timing belt and new pulleys, spark plugs and wires, tensioner and serpentine belt, new front and rear main seal, as well as remounted the 12V battery in its stock location with fresh battery terminals.

Now the reason I'm posting all this is to ask a question from all of you. " How rare is my car and how much is it worth to people here?"

Thank you for your time
Old 03-26-15, 11:02 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on it now?

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on restoring the old girl.

Here is a picture of the production numbers based on transmission and engine.

1,601 92 5 speeds were produced, a total of 3,883 5 speeds were produced from 92-97.

As far as the hardtop goes they're pretty rare, but I don't know production numbers, don't know how many hardtop 5-speeds there are, I'd guess it's around 200, but that's a pure guess very loosely based on what I've seen so far. I would take it with a grain of salt.

As far as what it's worth that depends on a lot of factors, mainly how much time you're willing to wait for it to sell. But I think you could reasonably get $6,000 from the right buyer. A lot of people aren't looking for hardtops as they consider the sun-roof a luxury, but there are a few people looking for performance in this market who want the weight savings of a hard-top. They're few and far between but they're out there. However with the mileage I think you'd have trouble getting over $6,500 at this moment.

Although, if it's well restored I think it'd be worth more 3-4 years from now if you simply hold on to it. The market for SC's has basically bottomed out. Once they get over 25 years old, and as the market thins out from accidents, and disrepair I think this car will start going up in value. Obviously with the low amount of people looking for them right now any seller needs time more than anything. But I think this market has a bright future, and for the time being we all get to enjoy driving a wonderful car from the 90's.

Post some pictures of it if you don't mind, I would especially like to see the interior that you re-did.
Old 03-26-15, 11:09 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. That really was informative. I would have never guessed so little amount of manual transmission models were made. Ill post some pictures here in the next post
Old 03-26-15, 11:24 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-26-15, 11:26 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-26-15, 11:27 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

Old 03-26-15, 11:29 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

before this all four seats were split and ripped all over. the front seats had tremendous amounts of wear and tear and the back seats just seemed to be beaten by the sun till the point that the seams were splitting
Old 03-26-15, 11:31 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

here is a picture of the outside just as a reference
Old 03-26-15, 11:33 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

Its awesome to hear that my car is one in 1600 cars that were made that year. Where did you get that info from?
Old 03-27-15, 09:01 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Good move taking the time to get the maintenance work done from the get go. Take care of it and have fun driving her.
Old 03-27-15, 09:03 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You can find that info online from Lexus....I have the PDF for it....

Here it is
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1992SCspecs.pdf (109.2 KB, 178 views)
Old 03-27-15, 09:31 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oldie but a goodie. enjoy
Old 03-27-15, 12:46 PM
omeadm
Driver School Candidate

oh I also forgot to put that i had to redo the suspension since it had blown shocks when i got the car so it also has new shocks as well.
Old 03-27-15, 12:49 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would have been a good time to get some lowering springs in there, although you might have clipped that parking curb your parked over.
Old 03-27-15, 04:07 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About 3 grand but since its a rare hardtop and 5spd your looking at around 4.5 grand, but thats too people who know how rare that is. I suggest putting thats its a rare hardtop model in your ads maybe it will help you out.

Quick Reply: How rare is my car