SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92-94 custom tail lights!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 09:46 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
the LED strips for the turn signals i purchased like that, somehow they cascade by themselves and it's epic. all the wiring is done inside yes and connected to the original bulbs which i broke open and modified, then soldered wires to them. i have the entire build in my thread you guys can see here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...dlights-3.html

the turn signals are not finished yet, they are, but the flasher needs to be modified so it doesn't flash, the turn signals go all the way around the light so right now it looks funky because they terminate early. once i figure out the layout of the flasher, i'll modify it so it doesn't flash. i'll be doing the same turn signal LEDs for the headlights as well, and some other awesome stuff as well. my headlights are gonna be from the FUTURE!
Great job on the lights.

Can I get some info on where you bought the turn signal LED from? I didn't know they prebuilt those strips to cascade.
Old 03-25-15, 10:25 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Those look pretty good but looks like you missed a couple on the left side they are a little short. Other than that it looks good.
oh i see that, that might just be electrical tape to cover the solder points...

man i feel stupid. it rained today though, no condensation yet so hopefully i won't have to reopen them anytime soon, cz idk how much heat the LEDs can handle since i can't take them out. if i ever need to open them will probably have to use a heat gun instead of the oven.
Old 03-25-15, 10:55 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Don't feel stupid, they look good, just now you know for the future for when you do another set.
yea, hopefully my buddy let's me do his, i might get another set from the junk yard and try some more crazy stuff, this time try to wire the LEDs myself and maybe use an arduino to control them entirely, write messages on them that would be dope.
Old 03-26-15, 02:18 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

That is really nice !
Old 03-26-15, 07:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Add a couple of lights to the turn signals to extend the length, it looks like you have only one bulb light up at a time as it scrolls. Maybe make three light up per level so they are more pronounced.

And the white back up lights are off a little bit too, the right side the top light is longer than the top light on the left side. I'm not trying to nit pick but think of it as quality control if you do another set.

Good job though, A+ for ambition and A for finished product.
yea there's a lot more that could be better, it was a learning process, next ones i make will be 10 times better.
Old 03-27-15, 09:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can probably modify the flasher relay to make the turn signals put out a constant voltage.
probably have to bypass the capacitor or increase its value to increase the time between switching, but not sure how complicated those circuits are.
Old 03-28-15, 11:37 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you can probably modify the flasher relay to make the turn signals put out a constant voltage.
probably have to bypass the capacitor or increase its value to increase the time between switching, but not sure how complicated those circuits are.
that's exactly what i'm gonna try to do, or at least try to figure out which way the current goes and stick some other relay in there.
Old 03-30-15, 04:02 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Those turn signals are adorable. I'd prefer if the moving patch was slightly bigger or segmented, i.e. the Mustang, but this is great!
Old 03-30-15, 08:01 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GISguy
Those turn signals are adorable. I'd prefer if the moving patch was slightly bigger or segmented, i.e. the Mustang, but this is great!
thanks man, yea i kinda wish it was thicker as well.

they broke for the first time today, the passenger side brake light decided to stop turning on. first it was the 2 bottom strips, then all of it gave out. the bottom strips, one of the solder points came undone somehow, makes no sense how but it did, so resoldered that, then the whole light wouldn't turn on. so i recrimped the wires, resoldered them to the socket, and then the socket lit on fire because the positive and negative leads touched somehow, again, i don't get how things that don't move end up moving? so made a new socket, and crimped the wire to the positive lead instead of soldering it to the tiny lead that sticks out, i think it will work way better now because the entire lead is insulated with the plug, will do the same thing tmr to the rest of the lights as a precaution. right now the car is sitting outside with 1 tail light cz this one needs to dry since i had to reseal it. hopefully it lasts longer than a week now!!!
Old 03-31-15, 07:00 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used led strip a ton building stage lighting fixtures, not sure how your doing it but put a small dot of flux on the copper pad and then add solder to that otherwise when you attach you get a cold solder joint. Again just a note from personal experience, not doubting your mad electrical skills.
Old 03-31-15, 12:33 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ems
I've used led strip a ton building stage lighting fixtures, not sure how your doing it but put a small dot of flux on the copper pad and then add solder to that otherwise when you attach you get a cold solder joint. Again just a note from personal experience, not doubting your mad electrical skills.
yea i should start using flux, i never use it and probably why my solder joints aren't the best. hopefully the lights last a little longer now, if not, i'll redo and add some stuff to them.
Old 03-31-15, 12:37 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

makes the solder flow more evenly, and wire to wire lock better. Once I started to use that stuff, i never stopped. Good luck, I just got my donor set to try something..
Old 03-31-15, 03:26 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

yea if something ever happens to them again, i'll be redoing them and adding more lights. hopefully that doesn't happen and they last forever, i hate opening lights, it's a little easier with black silicon though. great thing about rear lights though, they don't condensate as much as the fronts because there is no heat, so hopefully they stay clear.
Old 04-10-15, 09:28 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

here's an update on the turn signals!!! also, i'm getting started on another set, some 97s this time, i'll be making some clear lenses for them, or trying to.

Old 04-10-15, 11:37 PM
DrMcPho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turn signals, im loving it man!

Quick Reply: 92-94 custom tail lights!!!!