SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New SC300 Manual owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 02:18 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If I knew then (when I got my SC) what I know now I would have waited before doing anything until I had read this site for several months at least. As you learn about the car, what you want to do to it changes. After seeing thousands and thousands of SC's, your tastes will likely change. You will see things you love and will want to do them to your car. Just sit tight, save your bread, read this sites messages new and old, master SC maintenance and let your tastes develop. Mine have changed DRAMATICALLY and I wasted tons of money while developing my tastes, learning and doing things again properly.
Old 03-23-15, 02:59 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^This is the best advice you can get, your car is nice, don't zip tie it together with hopes and dreams.
Old 03-24-15, 12:03 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Agreed. Very good advice.
Old 03-24-15, 02:53 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful car. Amazes me that there are still sc's like this one still in pristine condition let alone manual.

Completely agree with StudioGeek & KahnBB6, your taste will change every 6 months as these cars have many different styles in which you can modify them. For now I'd go with the light modifications such as HID's & Tints and just enjoy the car as is and let it come to you.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-15, 10:43 AM
BRENTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the Dinan of sc300 aftermarket parts?

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I am going to wait for a little bit before I do anything. I am wondering which aftermarket parts are the dinan of lexus for our sc300's? I ask because there are always a couple of companies that make aftermarket parts that actually add a little value to the car or at least not depreciate it. Is it Tanabe? I was thinking a tanabe exhaust and springs to start out?
Old 03-25-15, 03:48 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BRENTW
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I am going to wait for a little bit before I do anything. I am wondering which aftermarket parts are the dinan of lexus for our sc300's? I ask because there are always a couple of companies that make aftermarket parts that actually add a little value to the car or at least not depreciate it. Is it Tanabe? I was thinking a tanabe exhaust and springs to start out?
Aftermarket parts don't really add to value.... As far as Exhaust, TopSpeed Pro-1 Axle Backs, and TT suspension either with OEM springs (1 inch drop) or with a set of lowering springs to boot. I run TT Tein springs and KYB AGX struts and the ride is amazing. Barely any stiffer then stock but less bouncy.

Ironically I'm also a Brent W....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-15, 05:17 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Aftermarket parts don't really add to value....
Actually there are a few aftermarket mods that are coveted an increase resale value. Obviously you never get what you put in, but that's a given.

Two identical SC's are next to each other, one has an LSD, supra LCA's, CX coilovers, TT brakes front and rear, and the other is bone stock. Do you think they're gonna be selling for the same price?

There are several mods that add value to the car, but it all depends on finding the right buyer. SCenforcer got 12 for his sc400, and thats without anything done to the motor past an exhaust and BFI. Obviously swapped SC's can pull 5 figures if it's half clean.

Even coilovers, can add value so long as the parts are quality, at this age a lot of the stock parts are going to be breaking and whether the replacements are aftermarket or OEM thats money a prospective buyer doesnt have to spend to fix those parts. Obviously ebay tails and headlights, and some of the crappier ground effects kits can actually decrease the value of the car to most buyers, but there definitely are value added mods out there. However there isn't a one stop shop, research is a must.
Old 03-25-15, 08:09 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Actually there are a few aftermarket mods that are coveted an increase resale value. Obviously you never get what you put in, but that's a given. Two identical SC's are next to each other, one has an LSD, supra LCA's, CX coilovers, TT brakes front and rear, and the other is bone stock. Do you think they're gonna be selling for the same price? There are several mods that add value to the car, but it all depends on finding the right buyer. SCenforcer got 12 for his sc400, and thats without anything done to the motor past an exhaust and BFI. Obviously swapped SC's can pull 5 figures if it's half clean. Even coilovers, can add value so long as the parts are quality, at this age a lot of the stock parts are going to be breaking and whether the replacements are aftermarket or OEM thats money a prospective buyer doesnt have to spend to fix those parts. Obviously ebay tails and headlights, and some of the crappier ground effects kits can actually decrease the value of the car to most buyers, but there definitely are value added mods out there. However there isn't a one stop shop, research is a must.
Unmolested>modified is always my choice. Personally, I'd pay for the LSD, and that's probably it. I don't think replacing 20+ year old LCA's with new units increases value. That's basic maintenance. Brakes could go either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-15, 08:35 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a super clean SC. Surprised when I see them out there still looking that good, and stock to boot.
Old 04-01-15, 01:00 AM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Default Clean SC! Surprisingly good deal as well.

Congratulations on the pickup! I was in the same boat when I bought my SC. Not knowing where to start with the modifications. First thing I did was wheels then coil overs. My SC300 is the first car I have ever modified so I took it slow at the beginning. Now that I have had the car for a while and I look back I would probably replace some used parts on the vehicle before modifying. My suggestion would be to check the differential bushings/mounts and change those if needed. My car jerks when I press the gas and I thought it was motor mounts at first but its the diff mounts, there is a video on youtube showing how bad the stock mounts can get! But yea, first I would do diff mounts then if service is up to date go for mods. Coil overs (power by max is what I have) made the biggest difference. This was my first time buying coil overs for a car and at first spending 1k on my car didn't feel justified, but after having the coil overs, feeling the improvement in ride quality and handling, I have never looked back. I am not one to spend much on the looks of a car before the performance aspect of a car, but if you get coil overs I recommend get a nice set of is350 or other OEM Lexus wheels 17-18inches.

btw its nice to know there is another 5 speed SC owner in washington state! I am located in bellevue area, let me know if you would like to meet up and talk SCs sometime!
Old 04-01-15, 06:03 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a good Idea to look at one in person that has had some of the work done to give you an Idea of what to expect, seeing a side by side would really navigate you in the right direction.
Old 04-02-15, 11:50 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, so clean! 5 speed and under 100k?! That's crazy man, killer platform to start with. My parents live in Woodinville, if I'm ever back home at a convenient time I'll have to come check you guy's cars out!
Old 04-03-15, 12:36 AM
tsupra1822
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the purchase I myself just bought a 98 sc300.
Old 04-28-15, 10:24 AM
BRENTW
Driver School Candidate

Default update

Thanks for all the tips guys...Already running into first problem before doing any mods which supports some of your claims to make sure and fix everything first. It has the tweety bird sound barely noticeable when you let the clutch out and goes away when pressed in. "throwout bearing" I have been told.

When I said I want to keep it close to stock and oem but also want mods I was meaning that if there are TRD/Supra/LS400 upgrades etc I would prefer those first. Right now Im thinking of doing lowering springs (Never have done coilovers before) and wheels/tires. I also like the idea of a nice exhaust (tanabe etc)
Old 04-28-15, 10:27 AM
BRENTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ahmedp
Congratulations on the pickup! I was in the same boat when I bought my SC. Not knowing where to start with the modifications. First thing I did was wheels then coil overs. My SC300 is the first car I have ever modified so I took it slow at the beginning. Now that I have had the car for a while and I look back I would probably replace some used parts on the vehicle before modifying. My suggestion would be to check the differential bushings/mounts and change those if needed. My car jerks when I press the gas and I thought it was motor mounts at first but its the diff mounts, there is a video on youtube showing how bad the stock mounts can get! But yea, first I would do diff mounts then if service is up to date go for mods. Coil overs (power by max is what I have) made the biggest difference. This was my first time buying coil overs for a car and at first spending 1k on my car didn't feel justified, but after having the coil overs, feeling the improvement in ride quality and handling, I have never looked back. I am not one to spend much on the looks of a car before the performance aspect of a car, but if you get coil overs I recommend get a nice set of is350 or other OEM Lexus wheels 17-18inches.

btw its nice to know there is another 5 speed SC owner in washington state! I am located in bellevue area, let me know if you would like to meet up and talk SCs sometime!
Hey man I am in Kirkland...just sent you message with number

Quick Reply: New SC300 Manual owner