SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why do you do these things to your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 12:20 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMAG
@KahnBB6 - I just purchased a super clean 1-owner fully documented 1992 SC300 that is completely stock except for the wheels. I'm actually surprised it took me so long to pick one up but I've just always had other projects going on and/or no time for one...............
....... But if the motor or tranny ever goes I'm dropping in a turbo 1JZ or 2JZ setup. Maybe an LSx swap, but I suspect I'd catch more crap for that than my BBK diatribe!
Very nice! And a one-owner car. Take your time and enjoy it. The turbo engine swap is very worth it if you get there.

And you might get some flack by doing an LSx swap but not from me. It's radical and a departure from an already great engine architecture for a performance build but it happens to be one of the few horrendously expensive ways to get a lot of horsepower out here in Cali legally and pass smog.

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Yep, sounds like the old guy got you all going. He asked questions that have been discussed since Henry invented the model "T". Science, Applied engineering, Math have proven most of it, & some is just current style & trend, IN 20yrs it'll all be different again! Might not even have wheels on cars. LOL.
Ramblerman, last night one of my dreams was having been privy to the alias of an internet troll on another car forum wherein (on that other forum) he was boasting gleefully about his exploits in this thread while his friends snickered. I had in mind the name of the forum and thread he was chortling and snorting in and resolved to post it here in this thread... until I forgot all those details upon waking up.

Someone clearly has got your goat when an emotional reaction to an otherwise tame topic has provoked a dream response.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-24-15 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 06:52 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWWW Those silly honda guys!!! toying with our Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection!!
Old 03-24-15, 07:52 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya Kahn that was my point. To us SC enthusiasts it sometimes only takes a set of silly questions to set us off. I've had to put up with a lot of them since I bought mine, from people who buy a Kia just because it starts & runs. I plan on selling my Integra to a ricer cuz I know their gullible & will pay a good price for it so I can buy my Kaminara body kit for the SC. Try not to have to many nightmares.
Old 03-25-15, 03:27 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Ya Kahn that was my point. To us SC enthusiasts it sometimes only takes a set of silly questions to set us off. I've had to put up with a lot of them since I bought mine, from people who buy a Kia just because it starts & runs.
I think it has more of an effect on the forum because we don't want the knowledge base that many, many people have collected here for SC's to become undone. I don't get any of it off the Internet though. In the real world it's just an old Lexus to most people unless I'm driving near another "tuner car".

Try not to have to many nightmares.
Ha! Thanks but no guarantees there I only described one short dream of several that night. Dreams and nightmares can rattle sometimes but are a huge inspiration for me.
Old 03-25-15, 09:48 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Kahn: I to have resolved many issues by sleeping on it. Dreams are just the subconscious working to resolve the issues. Inspiration comes in quantum leaps.
Old 03-27-15, 11:10 PM
JRD1957
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP here-sorry for delayed response(s)...work got in the way. Jeez-I asked some honest/specific questions and get a few glances, gained some traction, then got completely derailed. Didn't mean to strike a nerve...this is somewhat of a new-found-land. Just to be clear, my questions were in no means meant to be derogatory - I love this car. After spending many hours reading in this forum, I was at a point I needed info. I read many threads about how to do it - it was the why I was trying to understand. I'm not conservative, just a project manager... trained to plan your work and work your plan...

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Well LS400 brakes are a no brainer because the stock brakes suck. The other mods are subjective.
After driving this car for a while-I agree totally the brakes suck.

Originally Posted by Duck05
Keep reading..... Plenty of answers/opinions for your questions to be found. It is all fun.....
Yes...there are an overwhelming amount of opinions, but not a lot of specific answers...and not all fun-even your tone changed later in this thread....

Originally Posted by oldManTan
bceause everyone owns their own car and has their own opinions and can do whatever the hell they want. that's it
Well, yea...

Originally Posted by eknine9
If he wants to keep one stock so bad he should buy one and do nothing to it.
I think you missed the intent - entirely.

Originally Posted by CityKnight
These questions are easy to answer; however I'm wondering two things:
1. How old are you?
2. How much experience do you have with cars/driving?
Nothing personal; I'm not criticizing; I'm genuinely curious, 'cus these questions are really that of a neophyte.

Well, I'm 57 going on 80; been driving since I was 15. Most of my experience is with bikes. Got a '67 Triumph Bonnie, that I absolutely refused to rake... neophyte seems a bit harsh, but I cop to it and being a complete noob to the car mod's,,,hence my questions...

Why do you lower your SC's?
Two reasons:
1. Performance enhancement. You improve the cars handling, by lowering it's center of gravity. Look at racecars.
2. Aesthetics. It makes the car look more aggressive, and sportier. There are various stances, such as a level-drop (evenly lowered front and rear), or like in my case a raked-drop, where the front-end is slightly lower than the rear. This tilted-look makes the car look "meaner" in a way, but also provides a bit more downforce onto the front end. Not to mention, cars come from the factory with quite a bit of "wheel-gap", meaning that space between the tire, and the fender itself. It's done on purpose, so when you hit a bump, theres room for that displacement to occur. However, it's really friggin' ugly, and theres still room beneath the fender, inside the wheel-well. So most people who plan to lower the car, simply "roll" the fenders; meaning they use a device which folds the edge of the fender inward, allowing space to turn the wheels while in that lowered position.
Why do you consider the pin stripes "cheesey"? (Goodkat)
'Cus they're cheap graphics, and they don't do anything for the car. The SC already has a strike-thru in the design, so pin-striping it is redundant.

Why do you change to LS400 brakes?
Again, Performance. Bigger Brakes equal greater stopping power. The LS400 Brakes are a 4-Piston caliper, which is better than little 2-Piston calipers. Larger rotors enhance braking also. The last thing you want is a fast car, that happens to be heavy as well (meaning it's inertial force in greater ...), which isn't able to stop in time because it has these little weak brakes. Further, when you increase the diameter of the wheels, they're usually lighter wheels than the factory ones; meaning you have a higher rate of spin, known as angular-velocity. Typically the wheel is wider also, with a lower profile tire; meaning you establish better grip on the road, and greater handling. Those three factors contribute to your overall top-speed increasing; therefore you're gonna want BETTER brakes

To analogize: You can be the baddest boxer in the world ... But if you don't wear gloves, you're gonna break your hands; lol. So when you modify one part of the car, you have to modify other components, in order to be safe, efficient, and effective.

Oh, and lastly ... Big Brakes look really cool too

Thank you - you're response was the most engaging, informative, and enlightening....

Originally Posted by t2d2
I'm flattered, but I find it ironic that I'm at stock height with non-original wheels, so it's not at all a given as far as I'm concerned. I do like the look of a moderately lowered SC, but I think slammed completely ruins the car's visuals.

There are a few acronyms that took me awhile to get up to speed on, like TT (Supra Twin Turbo). That means Audi to me. I guess it makes people feel like part of the in-crowd to speak in shorthand? Referring to the factory paint colors by their acronyms drives me nuts. To each his own, though.
I actually read your rebuild at least twice...thank you for your detail on specifics, and it was one of the impetus for my questions - sorry...

Originally Posted by joe diego
Because I can't afford a Supra.
What's a Supra?? Just kidding...at least you've got a sense of humor.

Originally Posted by boostinsc
Post pics of your sc op

WTF is this forum turning into?
I'm wondering myself...

My car...Screw stock!!! I love hot rods!!
Longterm value... HA! if it had under 50k maybe id care!!
I took basically a shell that was destined for a yard somewhere and began to learn the cars engineering, To me its a canvas that I can create my version of automotive art. Its currently the prettiest car on the block imo, and makes me proud to own not just one, but this one!
It will never see a winter, It will live on its summer tires. It will come out of hibernation every year with a new found purpose, and direction. I will break it, I will fix it, i will break it, and will fix it, over and over until it cannot be done anymore.

May you find joy with your stock-ness that is a choice. I understand, I too have deep appreciation of an artists work. I will never alter my Art Carlson (RIP) designed Glastron CV-16ss. I cannot see any method to improve upon it. But an 1993 SC300!!! hell yeah! I can make that thing look meaner, I will remove the excess so it becomes leaner, and i will add to its form because I am a dreamer!
Again, it is my version of art. I shall choose the colors and designs to my liking, within that I find joy. Just please never tell me or any other artist, we're doing it wrong, and we will do the same.

Enjoy your piece of automotive history.
I've got a 95 stock car that just turned 90K...I by no means were implying you were "doing it wrong"...I was simply seeking knowledge in an area that was completely foreign to me... I am trying not to make mistakes in it's restoration....

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Why ask so many questions, obviously op you probably don't work on your ride since it's in the shop right now. The mods you listed are common upgrades you can do to enhance the performance of your sc, so it would handle like a supra at a fraction of the cost of buying one, but not only that.
Most people who upgrade their sc300/400 want a performance over luxury including myself.
If you work on your car yourself, youre not only saving 1/2 the cost, but you can feel the upgrades you've done on your car immediately not to mention experience you gain to help you along the way.
Proper Lowering= better handling
Light Rims/ tires= handling and performance
Calipers= better stopping power
Pinstripes are gay=dated car dealership tricks to rip you off Why do we do this? Because we're men and that's what men do with their toys we make them faster, look better, and perform better that's all.
now go rip off the stripes and use the cash towards something that's actually needs attention, I know your car can use a maintenance!
Good luck!!
Obliviously you're a SFB. I'm sorry, but isn't the basis of a forum meant for asking questions? And no, bodywork isn't one of my strong suits...and Pinstripes = gay? Really? I'm about as straight as they come, but even I thought that was offensive...and no you don't know my car, as it doesn't "can use a maintenance",

I swear.... it seems like we can't go more than a few months in this place without some random person coming in here and either bashing these cars or questioning why people mod them a certain way. Didn't we just have a thread that grew to be several pages long about a guy who bought a POS SC for a couple of bucks where the previous owner butchered it with every mod he did to that car? This thread seems to be moving in the same direction with nice people babysitting this guy and telling him why we do what we do here. It's ridiculous.
I'm not a random person, just a recent poster...and I'm not bashing these cars or questioning why you mod in a certain way - I'm a seeker - a seeker of knowledge and understanding. If that's beyond your comprehension please don't reply...and I'm not looking for a babysitter...

[QUOTE=DLA-USA;8966111]I feel like since the OP hasnt chimed in on anything he might be trolling Those questions are so easily answered by even the most basic of a google search... I think it worked...

No, they aren't all easy to Google; and a lot of my searches brought me right back here-where I thought I'd find words of wisdom-not disdain...

Originally Posted by CityKnight
^ Yeah, really; why hasn't he replied?
I'm here...

Last edited by JRD1957; 03-28-15 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-28-15, 04:10 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its good to see your a real person, not someone to come by and rattle the forums cages. Text has a tendency to not display emotions, so I think the members on the forum felt as if there was some bashing within your original posting, but of course thats mainly subject to interpretation. I myself, super passionate about my build. That old phrasing "Mild to Wild" with customization, Im going wild, you can choose your own direction.

So, the next questions are,

What do you like?
What are your goals?
How far do you want to take it?
And how much to spend?

The people here are more than happy to help direct you where you need to go. I read everyday and learn more and more from the build threads. Those questions above, once answered will help you ask solid whys and hows to help you get to where you want the car to be.

So, heres a formal "welcome" post up some pics and lets talk about what you have.
Old 03-28-15, 07:23 PM
PaCowboy
Pole Position

Any person can mod their car anyway they want too..... It's their car. Plain and simple.
Old 03-30-15, 10:17 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

You asked, you got response, each person on here has their own opinions & ideas as to what is the correct thing to do with these cars. It really comes down to what you personally are going for. Some of the younger folks on here have their own style which may not fit all. They may not like what I do to mine, but I'm doing it my way any way. I've built many cars over the years & each one was unique to the parameters & purpose it was built for. All of them used the available engineering of the time to which it was built for. I'm building mine for a last cross-country run, so it gets built for power, handling, efficency, comfort, and of course style. Do what you want to yours, as it is yours. Wear the glove that fits.
Old 04-01-15, 04:16 PM
PaCowboy
Pole Position

You asked, you got response, each person on here has their own opinions & ideas as to what is the correct thing to do with these cars. It really comes down to what you personally are going for. Some of the younger folks on here have their own style which may not fit all. They may not like what I do to mine, but I'm doing it my way any way. I've built many cars over the years & each one was unique to the parameters & purpose it was built for. All of them used the available engineering of the time to which it was built for. I'm building mine for a last cross-country run, so it gets built for power, handling, efficency, comfort, and of course style. Do what you want to yours, as it is yours. Wear the glove that fits.
Amen brotha!
Old 04-02-15, 06:54 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

You're criticizing brake upgrades? It's the mod that is most objectively an improvement, for safety and performance. If you consider that "silly", then with your logic, why even drive a "nice" car at all? Why not just buy the cheapest junker and call it a day.
Old 04-04-15, 10:51 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JRD1957
OK-I've got questions:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

I've got a stock 95 SC 400, currently in the body shop getting a few dings and pings taken care of, and was planning on getting the pin strips replaced, until I read Goodkat's build thread (and yes Goodkat I read the whole thing)

The fellow doing my repairs said this car was a classic and should be kept stock. I am thinking about replacing the HU (hey, I figured that one out!), as I'm down to 1.5 speakers working on the Nakamichi unit. I'm looking into a double-din unit if I could find a flip down cover like I've seen in some of the 430's.

It already rides so low that it scrapes the front when i hit my drive just right, and bangs the heck out of the back when I hit a pot-hole. So, if you would be so kind to enlighten me, much appreciated.

TIA

JD
I answered your questions early in the thread but listed the answers next to your quoted questions. You may have missed them. I deleted it and I am re posting in the standard configuration.

If you buy a new set of wheels, it is almost a given that you have your car lowered or you are going to.
Why do you lower your SC's? Because a great coilover setup dialed in way low looks great to many of us and handles way better than stock.

Why do you consider the pin stripes "cheesey"? (Goodkat) Ask Goodkat but I prefer the SC without.

Why do you change to LS400 brakes? 4 piston as opposed to two (better stopping power). Looks great!

Is there any place on this site to decipher the acronyms used? Even Google chokes on some of them:roll eyes: What acronyms specifically?

Your suspension is seriously worn if you are scraping with a stock suspension. All lowered cars don't scrape. Thats part of the skill in lowering/fitment, not scraping.

Good luck with your build and welcome to the club!
Old 04-05-15, 03:57 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, this threads funny
Old 04-07-15, 12:22 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

This roller coaster makes me miss summer..
Old 04-11-15, 04:00 PM
JRD1957
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ems
Its good to see your a real person, not someone to come by and rattle the forums cages. Text has a tendency to not display emotions, so I think the members on the forum felt as if there was some bashing within your original posting, but of course thats mainly subject to interpretation. I myself, super passionate about my build. That old phrasing "Mild to Wild" with customization, Im going wild, you can choose your own direction.

So, the next questions are,

What do you like?
What are your goals?
How far do you want to take it?
And how much to spend?

The people here are more than happy to help direct you where you need to go. I read everyday and learn more and more from the build threads. Those questions above, once answered will help you ask solid whys and hows to help you get to where you want the car to be.

So, heres a formal "welcome" post up some pics and lets talk about what you have.
Thank you for your reply and welcome - I really appreciated it. I know from experience that much can be misinterpreted from written words, but these were simply questions on a subject that was completely foreign to me; and I didn't realize that people had time or need to go into a forum and bash its members-that's just frackin' stupid. I was researching to see what I could do to breath new life into my SC, and stumbled onto and into this forum. I must say that after discovering that I'm 2-3X the age of most of the owners here, I'm thrilled there's as much passion for this car as there is from an old fart like me. It was also quite daunting to realize how much catching-up I had ahead of me...and figuring out what "mild to wild" customizing is available.

As far as your questions:

I love the looks of the new Jag F-series; I actually hadn't taken the time - in years - to look at new cars; my initial goal was just to make my SC roadworthy and trustworthy, but that's changed now.
As for how far and how much, I'll have to figure out as I go along and phase it in.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Why do you do these things to your SC?