SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why do you do these things to your SC?

Old 03-21-15, 11:21 AM
JRD1957
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why do you do these things to your SC?

OK-I've got questions:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

I've got a stock 95 SC 400, currently in the body shop getting a few dings and pings taken care of, and was planning on getting the pin strips replaced, until I read Goodkat's build thread (and yes Goodkat I read the whole thing)

The fellow doing my repairs said this car was a classic and should be kept stock. I am thinking about replacing the HU (hey, I figured that one out!), as I'm down to 1.5 speakers working on the Nakamichi unit. I'm looking into a double-din unit if I could find a flip down cover like I've seen in some of the 430's.

It already rides so low that it scrapes the front when i hit my drive just right, and bangs the heck out of the back when I hit a pot-hole. So, if you would be so kind to enlighten me, much appreciated.

TIA

JD
Old 03-21-15, 11:23 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Well LS400 brakes are a no brainer because the stock brakes suck. The other mods are subjective.
Old 03-21-15, 11:30 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Keep reading..... Plenty of answers/opinions for your questions to be found. It is all fun.....
Old 03-21-15, 01:11 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

bceause everyone owns their own car and has their own opinions and can do whatever the hell they want. that's it
Old 03-21-15, 01:50 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRD1957
The fellow doing my repairs said this car was a classic and should be kept stock.
If he wants to keep one stock so bad he should buy one and do nothing to it.
Old 03-21-15, 02:15 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Because I can't afford a Supra.
Old 03-21-15, 10:36 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These questions are easy to answer; however I'm wondering two things:
1. How old are you?
2. How much experience do you have with cars/driving?
Nothing personal; I'm not criticizing; I'm genuinely curious, 'cus these questions are really that of a neophyte.

Why do you lower your SC's?
Two reasons:
1. Performance enhancement. You improve the cars handling, by lowering it's center of gravity. Look at racecars.
2. Aesthetics. It makes the car look more aggressive, and sportier. There are various stances, such as a level-drop (evenly lowered front and rear), or like in my case a raked-drop, where the front-end is slightly lower than the rear. This tilted-look makes the car look "meaner" in a way, but also provides a bit more downforce onto the front end. Not to mention, cars come from the factory with quite a bit of "wheel-gap", meaning that space between the tire, and the fender itself. It's done on purpose, so when you hit a bump, theres room for that displacement to occur. However, it's really friggin' ugly, and theres still room beneath the fender, inside the wheel-well. So most people who plan to lower the car, simply "roll" the fenders; meaning they use a device which folds the edge of the fender inward, allowing space to turn the wheels while in that lowered position.

(My Car)

(Fender Roller)

Why do you consider the pin stripes "cheesey"? (Goodkat)
'Cus they're cheap graphics, and they don't do anything for the car. The SC already has a strike-thru in the design, so pin-striping it is redundant.

Why do you change to LS400 brakes?
Again, Performance. Bigger Brakes equal greater stopping power. The LS400 Brakes are a 4-Piston caliper, which is better than little 2-Piston calipers. Larger rotors enhance braking also. The last thing you want is a fast car, that happens to be heavy as well (meaning it's inertial force in greater ...), which isn't able to stop in time because it has these little weak brakes. Further, when you increase the diameter of the wheels, they're usually lighter wheels than the factory ones; meaning you have a higher rate of spin, known as angular-velocity. Typically the wheel is wider also, with a lower profile tire; meaning you establish better grip on the road, and greater handling. Those three factors contribute to your overall top-speed increasing; therefore you're gonna want BETTER brakes

To analogize: You can be the baddest boxer in the world ... But if you don't wear gloves, you're gonna break your hands; lol. So when you modify one part of the car, you have to modify other components, in order to be safe, efficient, and effective.

Oh, and lastly ... Big Brakes look really cool too

(My Brakes)

Last edited by SEIDO; 03-21-15 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 11:51 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Post pics of your sc op
Old 03-22-15, 12:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm flattered, but I find it ironic that I'm at stock height with non-original wheels, so it's not at all a given as far as I'm concerned. I do like the look of a moderately lowered SC, but I think slammed completely ruins the car's visuals.

There are a few acronyms that took me awhile to get up to speed on, like TT (Supra Twin Turbo). That means Audi to me. I guess it makes people feel like part of the in-crowd to speak in shorthand? Referring to the factory paint colors by their acronyms drives me nuts. To each his own, though.
Old 03-22-15, 08:58 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JRD1957
OK-I've got questions: If you buy a new set of wheels, it is almost a given that you have your car lowered or you are going to.[*]Why do you lower your SC's?[*]Why do you consider the pin stripes "cheesey"? (Goodkat)[*]Why do you change to LS400 brakes?[*]Is there any place on this site to decipher the acronyms used? Even Google chokes on some of them I've got a stock 95 SC 400, currently in the body shop getting a few dings and pings taken care of, and was planning on getting the pin strips replaced, until I read Goodkat's build thread (and yes Goodkat I read the whole thing) The fellow doing my repairs said this car was a classic and should be kept stock. I am thinking about replacing the HU (hey, I figured that one out!), as I'm down to 1.5 speakers working on the Nakamichi unit. I'm looking into a double-din unit if I could find a flip down cover like I've seen in some of the 430's. It already rides so low that it scrapes the front when i hit my drive just right, and bangs the heck out of the back when I hit a pot-hole. So, if you would be so kind to enlighten me, much appreciated. TIA JD

Lowered SC= easier on the eyes and much easier to drive. I'm on TT suspension and my car rides like it did when it was on factory ****.

I actually don't have pinstripes. They can be good depending on color combo of car and stripe color. I had a green avalon with the factory gold package/gold pinstripes which I matched with gold wheels and yellow tinted head/foglights. It was featured on Jalopnik and won a few trophies 👍

LS400 brakes..... Again don't have them. I consider them to be a pointless "upgrade". They don't clear my factory 15's so I have to shell out a grand for wheels/tires plus cost of brakes and calipers and rotors just to run them. **** that ****. My twin Pistons work great. Just upgraded the rotors and pads to better ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-15, 09:24 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Lowered SC= easier on the eyes and much easier to drive. I'm on TT suspension and my car rides like it did when it was on factory ****.

I actually don't have pinstripes. They can be good depending on color combo of car and stripe color. I had a green avalon with the factory gold package/gold pinstripes which I matched with gold wheels and yellow tinted head/foglights. It was featured on Jalopnik and won a few trophies 👍

LS400 brakes..... Again don't have them. I consider them to be a pointless "upgrade". They don't clear my factory 15's so I have to shell out a grand for wheels/tires plus cost of brakes and calipers and rotors just to run them. **** that ****. My twin Pistons work great. Just upgraded the rotors and pads to better ****.

WTF is this forum turning into?
Old 03-22-15, 10:12 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

I actually don't have pinstripes. They can be good depending on color combo of car and stripe color. I had a green avalon with the factory gold package/gold pinstripes which I matched with gold wheels and yellow tinted head/foglights. It was featured on Jalopnik and won a few trophies ��

LS400 brakes are one of the best upgrades ever for the SC. ANY car with a BBK (big brake kit) needs clearance and the same care selecting wheels, spacers or both. Stopping is the single most crucial thing your car needs to accomplish. The LS400 BBK improves this in a big way. If you have not done it, don't knock it.
Old 03-22-15, 10:16 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
WTF is this forum turning into?
Usually the reaction I get when I say that the 4 pots brakes are a silly upgrade. I'm sure they stop better don't get me wrong. But I swap wheels for winter and summer. It's not a smart move. Winter potholes in Philly are terrible. I need as much cushion from those as possible.

Old 03-22-15, 10:19 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Usually the reaction I get when I say that the 4 pots brakes are a silly upgrade. I'm sure they stop better don't get me wrong. But I swap wheels for winter and summer. It's not a smart move. Winter potholes in Philly are terrible. I need as much cushion from those as possible.

buy oem LS400 wheels... you can find them on craigslist for a few hundred bucks. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-22-15, 10:22 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm lost man. If they stop better, how is it a silly upgrade?
What does swapping wheels have to do with it? I swap wheels on both Sc's every season. I also don't get what potholes and cushion have to do with braking. Not dissing you, just confused

SG

Last edited by Studiogeek; 03-22-15 at 04:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you do these things to your SC?