SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Car failed inspection some legit some total BS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 01:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I am going to guess your nox numbers were just fine due to the extra fuel cooling the cylinders down and thus skyrocketing the HC's. if some e85 were to find its way into your gas tank then your HC's would go down. look it up online.. just saying... but to have 8x is pretty bad that means nothing is basically working which was likely a combo of bad ecu (causes overfueling), bad o2 sensor (causes overfueling), and possibly dead cat from over fueling (you said you replaced this though). if you do the cat you should do the o2's as it will just ruin the new cat shortly. normally people it the other way around, o2's then if that doesn't work then try the cat.
Old 03-24-15, 07:34 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Emissions are killing the sport! California has killed a lot of old rare cars because of it. Glad I live in a non-emissions county in Pa. If you had a carburetor (remember them) you would just lean out the air/fuel mix go through the test then re-set carb down the street & go on your merry way. Sounds like some of you need to move to the country & find some open road. Bet a Tesla has no problem with emissions. LOL.
Old 03-25-15, 05:18 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my old buick my pops altered the timing so the car ran lean, I limped it to the emissions test and after a couple attempts it passed, But shortly after that all the testing facilities turned into oil change spots, soo anything goes nowadays. I do understand the tests, but there needs to be some compensation for the history of automobiles. It takes so much energy to create new cars while much of that could be saved by allowing some age allowances on existing vehicles. Sure some cars were pop cans ment to be tossed but, a handful of them (sc's) were built to make it classic status and should not be discarded as such.
Old 03-26-15, 10:17 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ty for the advice. I did replace the tires and no longer on spare. My tail lights are factory. Both issues have been resolved and passed inspection. He only got me for the wheel studs because he pulled out his feeler gauge to check the brand new tires to see if they were worn (yes they are stupid inefficient) and noticed it.

As far as maintenance, i did the fuel filter last winter and most vacc lines as well. I'll give the PCV and EGR a look over and probably replace them. Gonna buy new O2 sensors and if all that doesn't get it to pass I will buy two TPSs since they both are bad (been bad since I bought the car). With the cost of all that I should be able to get a emissions waiver (spend $1k on repairs can get u an exemption for a year). In all honesty im praying the MAF isn't bad because no matter how u look at it they aren't cheap.

Another concern is the timing belt. I've put 60k miles on it and the guy I bought the car from swore he changed it but i didn't see marks on the belt indicating it was old. The reason I didn't want to dump money at emissions was the timing belt needs done and it isn't cheap. From day one I assumed the hesitation issues with this car was a sticking injector but so far I've been unable to test that theory. Lol I have s buddy coming over this weekend with a multimeter so we gonna get crazy testing shizz
Old 03-28-15, 03:30 PM
Reaper617
Driver School Candidate

Gonna buy new O2 sensors and if all that doesn't get it to pass I will buy two TPSs since they both are bad (been bad since I bought the car). With the cost of all that I should be able to get a emissions waiver (spend $1k on repairs can get u an exemption for a year). In all honesty im praying the MAF isn't bad because no matter how u look at it they aren't cheap
If the TPS's are bad that could easily fail you and cause your hesitation issue, same goes for the O2 sensors.
Old 04-11-15, 12:05 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Sorry getting back to this real late. I managed to replace wheel studs and the O2 sensors. Car runs better but I still failed emissions testing. Well I blame them because I beat it hard on the way their then the tech made me sit at idle for almost 20 minutes while he flirted with some chick in a mustang so there was a huge buildup at the cats by the time I got the hose in my pipe. When I went to high idle test (2500rpms) it backfired real bad and check engine light came on for first time in forever. Took it home (I got a temp tag finally) tested it boom code 31. Unplugged MAF car couldn't run without it, plugged it back in runs fine again with the normal miss once in a while.

Currently there is no light but the code is still stored. Any ideas? In going to go test the MAF but I doubt that's the issue here.