SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Car failed inspection some legit some total BS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 09:16 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car failed inspection some legit some total BS

Took car though the Delaware DMV and failed on three counts (two are safety which makes driving illegal even with tags). My threads primary purpose is to resolve the messed up part first then the other stuff later.

Ok they said my tail lights had a burned out bulb. I explained its a 92 and they are correct. He argues that the tail lights go all the way across the bottom. basically what he is saying is that I need to rewire the entire harness so that the brake lights are also driving lights. This is bs because the car didn't come that way.
If you wouldn't mind, please post pics of your fsctory 92 tail lights turned on so I can prove im correct. I even talked to building manager and he said only the techs in the lanes have authority here.

Other two reasons was I had a flat and ran through with spare (safety fail) and hydrocarbons were 8x the legal limit.

Ugh frustrated.
Old 03-20-15, 09:31 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I woulda just looked up pics or a youtube clip of SC tails and shown him on the spot.
Old 03-20-15, 09:32 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Go somewhere else
Old 03-20-15, 09:49 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

I tried to search. It never occurred to me to look for exhaust pics tho. YouTube might be a good option too.

I need ignition coils again to get hydrocarbons down :/

Thank you
Old 03-20-15, 09:53 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Go somewhere else
It's the dmv. There is only two locations. And now there is a note stating I have bulbs out each side so they will scrutinize it harder. Keep in mind these are not my tinted tails, these are fsctory units.

Personally I think the whole auto industry is designed to keep poor people poor ie ridiculous inspections, price gouging of parts, intentionally designing cars to break after a couple years.
Old 03-20-15, 10:00 AM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go smack that fool for his stupidity, tell him it's from the cl community.
I'll try to put some pics up tonight with running lights and and another with brake lights on.
Old 03-20-15, 10:03 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream36
It's the dmv. There is only two locations. And now there is a note stating I have bulbs out each side so they will scrutinize it harder. Keep in mind these are not my tinted tails, these are fsctory units.

Personally I think the whole auto industry is designed to keep poor people poor ie ridiculous inspections, price gouging of parts, intentionally designing cars to break after a couple years.
I think it's mostly just a bunch of people with little passion for the subject and less knowledge in charge of bureacracy.

I had a dude try to tell me that my fog lights (which are stock for 97, but not 92), were illegal since they weren't OEM, but then completely ignored my HID retrofit. I wasn't even there for an inspection, but they do inspections and my tag is up next month and the dude started going on about all this stuff I needed to change if I was gonna come back for an inspection. Yet all sorts of cars in terrible road shape can get through just fine.

But I'm glad I'm in Texas, we can get inspections anywhere, and all you have to do is know somebody who'll look the other way on things they don't agree with like tint, or headlight modifications, etc.
Old 03-20-15, 01:44 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

simple, register your car out of state with a po box, I wouldn't even bring my car in such a place

Last edited by mikef; 03-20-15 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 05:09 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

slap them fools,download the manual off of lexus.com under owners section and enter your vin#.
if you dont have the owners manual use the one on line and show them the bulb section of the owners manual.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 03-20-15 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 12:12 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

one of the bulbs is a double bulb, meaning it's a running light and a stop light, but only one, which makes no sense for him saying the entire light should light up as a running light because the harness only has one double bulb hole. i can send you pictures of the harness but you have that as well, just show him that there's only one freaking running light that is also a brake light.
Old 03-23-15, 09:04 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Went back through today. Told diferent guy that I replaced tires and changed every bulb he looked at it and gave me a go. But when looking at tires he noticed I had a wheel bolt snapped when replacing tires and gave me another safety violation. In DE any safety violation means no tags not even a temp tag. So my car now is unable to move ever again except to go through inspection.

Emissions were wayyyyyyy off and after installing new cats im not spending another dime on this csr. It's for sale.
Old 03-23-15, 09:34 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream36
Went back through today. Told diferent guy that I replaced tires and changed every bulb he looked at it and gave me a go. But when looking at tires he noticed I had a wheel bolt snapped when replacing tires and gave me another safety violation. In DE any safety violation means no tags not even a temp tag. So my car now is unable to move ever again except to go through inspection.

Emissions were wayyyyyyy off and after installing new cats im not spending another dime on this csr. It's for sale.
That's some real **** luck man. This is just a basic inspection or a Rebuilt Salvage inspection? Still can't help but feel you should fix it. Figure out the emissions issue, and get a used hub out of a junkyard or buy new wheel studs. Who the hell broke your wheel stud changing a tire? Make them pay!

Believe these fit ours.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ar...7715/overview/

I don't know your car, but your fix might cost less then $100... Worth it imo. It could simply be an 02 sensor causing you to fail. They are cheap on rock auto.
Old 03-23-15, 10:31 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My car will not pass emissions either....put I do drive my car around not inspected as well.....it passes state inspection but in Allegheny county where I live it has to pass both emissions and inspection to get a sticker....not one or the other...

I have got pulled 2 times....but I give them the same BS story.....Just finished building up the car and show them the engine bay....and say I took it out to make sure everything is ok....they say ok....just drive it straight home now....lol.....yea right..

Plus I really dont give a ****

Last edited by CatManD3W; 03-23-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 02:24 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

No it's mandatory state inspection. I am grabbing studs for ($1.99) at autozone and popping them in. No worries that part is easy its just that they really don't want to pass cars older than a few years old (no really state law requires 20+ years to be crushed in junk yard immediately) so no salvage available).

Ok emissions, yeah! It had mad codes last year like a dozen or so. I checked them and I had O2, TPS, etc. but it also had three codes that didn't exist, so I read about it and it was stated that means ECU was bad. Disassembled ECU and caps were leaking. Payed $100 for a rebuilt unit on eBay put it in car, no more codes. Since then the Check Engine light pops up once in a great while when I floor it but hardly ever. I just now tried to pull a code and got nothing. Put old ECU back in just now and drive it around the block (about 5 miles through newark rush hour), got home still no codes. I'm lost yo.

Also DE law requires I prove I took it to a certified mechanic before I can go back for inspection (since I failed twice). And at $160 an hour I can't afford that. Hell Lexus IS cheaper.
Old 03-23-15, 03:13 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait, what is your states laws on collector car status? look into that. plenty of them driving around and nooo waaay theyre passing the test.

Quick Reply: Car failed inspection some legit some total BS