Complete build gone completely wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 02:35 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Complete build gone completely wrong

Hi everyone,
So I decided to do a complete build on my car, but wanted it done right so decided to take it to a performance shop. What a mistake.........
1. The car was suppose to take 2 months to complete, it took them almost 6 month
2. When I got the car it was winter so it got towed ran very little
3. For one week I tried to start the car, it would not start
4. Call the shop and we went back and forth trying to figure out the issue, finally took the spark plugs out and all black fouled. My throttle body was full of motor oil,while doing the my wheel well was smashed with a hammer by the mechanics to the point the weld that joins to the frame is cracked.
5. Finally got the car started and it just kept on stalling, again emails to the shop indicated try to adjust the TPS, that seemed to keep the car idling.
6. Finally took the car for a drive, kept on stalling had to have my foot on the brake and gas had to come back home.
things get worse.........
7. Lifted the car motor oil dripping everywhere on the drivers side from the top of the engine all the way to the exhaust, wait for the good one 3 bolts that connect the tranny to the engine almost falling off.
Now I got worried and started to look at everything...
8. They disconnect my windshield wash fluid hose to use as vacuum hoses for the waste gate so now I have no windshield hoses
9. The heat was not working on the car, I went back and forth with the shop nothing so I went for days trying everything, even flushed the whole cooling system to find out the thermostat was an aftermarket when I was charged for an OEM replaced it for an OEM,well finally figured it out no vacuum connected to the heater cotroll valve went to buy the vacuum hose connect and finally working
10. Got the car started ran for a couple of days and guess what died againg, took the plugs again throttle body full of oil, spark plugs foul again two sets gone.
11. There is so many thing unplugged under the hood, that I'm trying to figure it out
12. Coolant fluid leaking from the bolts beside the spark plugs
13. Every time I get the car started I loose about 1/4 quart of oil from the leak
14. Even after I changed the plugs again, the car has a hard time keeping it's idle, TPS is turned all the way, and oil leak
I spent good money, to get this build as you can see what a disappointment, my biggest problem this shop is at least 9 hours away.
This is my Frankenstein build from a professional performance shop in Ney York
Teaches me I should of did the build myself, and the car is an ornament on my driveway.
Old 03-20-15, 03:23 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Sorry to hear you are going through this nightmare !

Time and again we all have seen and heard it. . So many people / shop who do this for a living saying we can do it in a couple of days, weeks or months.... all just to brag but car owners end up having a nightmare just like you are going through.

Just like you said, you probably are better off having built it yourself if you can . All these professionals are expected to do it right , nothing less , just because IT IS THEIR PROFESSION. It is how they make their living so it should not even be something they should brag about. I have seen far better jobs done by DIY guys who are not even mechanics.

Do it yourself if you can.. way to go . You save tons of money and NOBODY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR INTEREST better than yourself. The rest , trust me, it is all about making money. I have seen it all. All the pretense of taking care of you is BS. Yes , until they can squeeze a dollar from you. You get to know who really your friends are as they use to say , when you have no money.

Do research, verify what you read. Talk to people and if you have the ability and means , far better tackling the job yourself.
Old 03-20-15, 04:12 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopefully, after you get your money back. Did they scope your job out on paper? Is there a contract/agreement?
Old 03-20-15, 05:42 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Hopefully, after you get your money back. Did they scope your job out on paper? Is there a contract/agreement?
Huh ? Money back ?

Tony - I don't think it is gonna happen. Even if there where contracts/agreements , there will be a lot of loopholes and excuses to get them out of the situation. It will more likely be bye bye you , let's forget each other because of a deal gone bad.

People will say , 3 days, a week or a month. If it doesn't happen... tons of excuses. Heck , if you know your profession, you should in the first place have incorporated in the planning stage the un-forseen and added those in your time estimates .It's either they don't know what they are doing or are trying to impress. People say time frame to brag and more often 3 days becomes a week or two or more, a month becomes several months or a year. It is what we see often happens then they give the paying customer TONS OF EXCUSES.

Damn, , this is only number one of the OP's list..lmaol. We can go on and on. And yet they love to brag that they can do this and that. HELLO, it is expected of you because it is your profession for which you are paid to do. Have you ever seen a heart surgeon brag or say , "Oh I can do heart transplant ." ? No , it is because people expect him to be able to do it right because that is his profession. If I hear a plumber say , "Oh I can transplant a heart", and truly he could , then he can brag about it and my hats off to him. ( LMAOL, no way damn plumber going near my heart but I will give all the respect he deserves, LMAOL. ) I have never seen such a s?itty industry than the automobile industry. Too many crooks , pretension and hypocrisy.

Sorry, it really gets into my nerves every time a dude is ripped off and done wrong in this automobile industry. I was a victim myself that's why and just because I trusted too much, the very people I knew and who pretended to be able to help me.

Don't get me wrong . Not every one is bad in this industry. I said, just too many of them.

So, if you have the means , ability and will, do things yourself . In this industry, a lot ( I said a lot and not all) are just after your money or their personal interests.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-20-15 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 06:13 AM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these horror stories make me wana do it all by myself. personally i dont let people work on my car of mine unless i am present.
Old 03-20-15, 06:15 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Most of the local shops will treat your car like its a piece of **** ford or chevy product. It pisses me off when I read this!!
I'd burn the mfs down, make sure you trash the shops name everywhere you can, so this doesn't repeat itself.
Sorry you're going through this gerb
Old 03-20-15, 06:24 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Most of the local shops will treat your car like its a piece of **** ford or chevy product. It pisses me off when I read this!!
I'd burn the mfs down, make sure you trash the shops name everywhere you can, so this doesn't repeat itself.
Lexxium - I have gone through it in the past... not now. I have never turned a wrench before but forced myself to learn because of such experience... even worse . If you read the first page of my build thread, I have mentioned it. Not even people you know , you can trust especially in this industry. Your interest will more often than not comes second to their personal interest.
Old 03-20-15, 08:21 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I would never trust a shop to do any type of build.....

They just look at it as a job and really dont care about your car.....among the other jobs they have going on at the same time.....believe me do really think they had dedicated resources focusing soley on your car...I doubt it.....makes sense why all the loose bolts etc....multiple people jumping on the build and off...

When it came time for me to do the GTE swap.....I spent a good amount of time looking on forums...and writeups on the process....I am pretty mechanically inclined but this was my first time doing anything in relation to a motor swap....Personally I can tell you it was not really that difficult just more time consuming as it took me a good 6 months to do it on my own...but I did take my time and not rush it....Learned a lot from the experience and with the TSRM made it breeze when putting engine back together...I never trust a shop to even change my oil on any of my vehicles....their approach is time is money so the faster they can get it done the better.....if you have the time it is always better to do the work yourself and you will save a ton of money in the process

Sorry to hear about the problems.....the quality of work done by shops nowadays is getting really sad...

Unless you have enough $$$$ to send it to Titan, Powerhouse Racing or MVPmotorsports.....

Last edited by CatManD3W; 03-20-15 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-20-15, 10:14 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, experiences like this with my first car were what got me started turning my own wrench. I've never let anyone else work on my car, except once when I had a guy with air tools come by and help me break loose the bolts on my old steering rack. Even for that I was right there. When I need my tires done I take my rims off my car and drive the rims down there, I don't let them mount my rims, I'd rather be there myself to make sure all the lugs are torqued down.

Only place I ever leave my car is the body and paint shop because I trust those guys completely... and I have not yet learned the ways of paint prep and paint... yet.

It's exactly like CMD said, most shops operate on a ($/time) basis. They try to make the most money in the least time and typically are pushing their mechanics to hit deadlines. They might charge you 2 hours of labor, but they want it done in 1.25 hours so they can run another car through. Most mechanics are too harried to really look at your car or treat it like it's their own, and the shops don't care since they pay insurance to cover any accidents that may happen from improperly tightened bolts, and insurance does its best not to pay, especially if you make it home and the accident happens a day or two later.

It's a shame really, and I'm having trouble imagining a point in time in my life when I'd feel comfortable taking any car I'm driving to be worked on by someone else. There are fewer and fewer trustworthy names it seems. Or maybe it was always this way and I'm only just coming to realize it.

Hopefully you've got a contract, that'll help you a lot.
Old 03-20-15, 10:44 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The shop will always say they can get it done fast, because once your car is in, it's not coming out until the job is done whether they do a good job or not.

I dropped off my SC for the Timing Belt kit install at the Toyota dealership. They quoted me 1 day, $500. I got my car five days later, and it cost $900. They said I got a great deal... and my timing belt kit took 28hours labor to install.... Crap mechanics. I could of done it in a week...I wanted it done the next day which is why I brought it to a professional to begin with.

It really pays to have an extra vehicle so you can make your own repairs on the Lex, I know a swap is a lot more involved, but I'm sure you could have pulled it off. It's a good investment too buying the tools vs paying monkey's for labor.
Old 03-20-15, 02:11 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gerrb
Sorry to hear you are going through this nightmare !

Time and again we all have seen and heard it. . So many people / shop who do this for a living saying we can do it in a couple of days, weeks or months.... all just to brag but car owners end up having a nightmare just like you are going through.

Just like you said, you probably are better off having built it yourself if you can . All these professionals are expected to do it right , nothing less , just because IT IS THEIR PROFESSION. It is how they make their living so it should not even be something they should brag about. I have seen far better jobs done by DIY guys who are not even mechanics.

Do it yourself if you can.. way to go . You save tons of money and NOBODY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR INTEREST better than yourself. The rest , trust me, it is all about making money. I have seen it all. All the pretense of taking care of you is BS. Yes , until they can squeeze a dollar from you. You get to know who really your friends are as they use to say , when you have no money.

Do research, verify what you read. Talk to people and if you have the ability and means , far better tackling the job yourself.

Thanks Gerrb
Unfortunately I did a whole lot of research and did not find any real negative comments till lately.
This was the very first time, I used a shop because I wanted the job done right and quicker, I have leard an extremely important lesson do not trust shop and try to do everything yourself. Now I even want to check the external parts to make sure it's what I paid for.

Originally Posted by Studiogeek

Hey Studiogeek, doubt I will get my money back but I have a detailed invoice, tones of emails and recorded conversations. My next route is to fill a complaint with the N.Y. Dmv against the shop, I can try to get him to pay for all the expenses I am having now.

Huh ? Money back ?

Tony - I don't think it is gonna happen. Even if there where contracts/agreements , there will be a lot of loopholes and excuses to get them out of the situation. It will more likely be bye bye you , let's forget each other because of a deal gone bad.

People will say , 3 days, a week or a month. If it doesn't happen... tons of excuses. Heck , if you know your profession, you should in the first place have incorporated in the planning stage the un-forseen and added those in your time estimates .It's either they don't know what they are doing or are trying to impress. People say time frame to brag and more often 3 days becomes a week or two or more, a month becomes several months or a year. It is what we see often happens then they give the paying customer TONS OF EXCUSES.

Damn, , this is only number one of the OP's list..lmaol. We can go on and on. And yet they love to brag that they can do this and that. HELLO, it is expected of you because it is your profession for which you are paid to do. Have you ever seen a heart surgeon brag or say , "Oh I can do heart transplant ." ? No , it is because people expect him to be able to do it right because that is his profession. If I hear a plumber say , "Oh I can transplant a heart", and truly he could , then he can brag about it and my hats off to him. ( LMAOL, no way damn plumber going near my heart but I will give all the respect he deserves, LMAOL. ) I have never seen such a s?itty industry than the automobile industry. Too many crooks , pretension and hypocrisy.

Sorry, it really gets into my nerves every time a dude is ripped off and done wrong in this automobile industry. I was a victim myself that's why and just because I trusted too much, the very people I knew and who pretended to be able to help me.

Don't get me wrong . Not every one is bad in this industry. I said, just too many of them.

So, if you have the means , ability and will, do things yourself . In this industry, a lot ( I said a lot and not all) are just after your money or their personal interests.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience as well gerrb, for the first time I know how you must of felt. Yes going forward I will do it myself and anything I don't know I will ask here on the forum, as everyone has always been very helpful when I ask a question.

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
these horror stories make me wana do it all by myself. personally i dont let people work on my car of mine unless i am present.

Hey BlackIRON, that is great what you do this way no one can charge you for screwing up your car.

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM

HEY LEXXIUM,The shop was Tach Motor Works in Ocean Side New York at this point I would not recommend them not even to my worst enemy.

Lexxium - I have gone through it in the past... not now. I have never turned a wrench before but forced myself to learn because of such experience... even worse . If you read the first page of my build thread, I have mentioned it. Not even people you know , you can trust especially in this industry. Your interest will more often than not comes second to their personal interest.
Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Personally I would never trust a shop to do any type of build.....

They just look at it as a job and really dont care about your car.....among the other jobs they have going on at the same time.....believe me do really think they had dedicated resources focusing soley on your car...I doubt it.....makes sense why all the loose bolts etc....multiple people jumping on the build and off...

When it came time for me to do the GTE swap.....I spent a good amount of time looking on forums...and writeups on the process....I am pretty mechanically inclined but this was my first time doing anything in relation to a motor swap....Personally I can tell you it was not really that difficult just more time consuming as it took me a good 6 months to do it on my own...but I did take my time and not rush it....Learned a lot from the experience and with the TSRM made it breeze when putting engine back together...I never trust a shop to even change my oil on any of my vehicles....their approach is time is money so the faster they can get it done the better.....if you have the time it is always better to do the work yourself and you will save a ton of money in the process

Sorry to hear about the problems.....the quality of work done by shops nowadays is getting really sad...
I should of done what you did CatMan, it took the shop almost 6 months anyway.
Unless you have enough $$$$ to send it to Titan, Powerhouse Racing or MVPmotorsports.....
Originally Posted by eknine9
Yep, experiences like this with my first car were what got me started turning my own wrench. I've never let anyone else work on my car, except once when I had a guy with air tools come by and help me break loose the bolts on my old steering rack. Even for that I was right there. When I need my tires done I take my rims off my car and drive the rims down there, I don't let them mount my rims, I'd rather be there myself to make sure all the lugs are torqued down.

Only place I ever leave my car is the body and paint shop because I trust those guys completely... and I have not yet learned the ways of paint prep and paint... yet.

It's exactly like CMD said, most shops operate on a ($/time) basis. They try to make the most money in the least time and typically are pushing their mechanics to hit deadlines. They might charge you 2 hours of labor, but they want it done in 1.25 hours so they can run another car through. Most mechanics are too harried to really look at your car or treat it like it's their own, and the shops don't care since they pay insurance to cover any accidents that may happen from improperly tightened bolts, and insurance does its best not to pay, especially if you make it home and the accident happens a day or two later.

It's a shame really, and I'm having trouble imagining a point in time in my life when I'd feel comfortable taking any car I'm driving to be worked on by someone else. There are fewer and fewer trustworthy names it seems. Or maybe it was always this way and I'm only just coming to realize it.

Hopefully you've got a contract, that'll help you a lot.

At this time the only contract is the quote, emails, recorded phone calls and the invoice, I have the upmost respect for everyone who jump right in an does it themselves

Originally Posted by Biddles
The shop will always say they can get it done fast, because once your car is in, it's not coming out until the job is done whether they do a good job or not.

I dropped off my SC for the Timing Belt kit install at the Toyota dealership. They quoted me 1 day, $500. I got my car five days later, and it cost $900. They said I got a great deal... and my timing belt kit took 28hours labor to install.... Crap mechanics. I could of done it in a week...I wanted it done the next day which is why I brought it to a professional to begin with.

It really pays to have an extra vehicle so you can make your own repairs on the Lex, I know a swap is a lot more involved, but I'm sure you could have pulled it off. It's a good investment too buying the tools vs paying monkey's for labor.

Wow even a dealership tries to rip people off, sorry to hear about that Biddles. Yep second vehicle sounds like a great idea what shops charge for labour and ripping us off the second car will be paid off in no time.

Last edited by Idlefree; 03-20-15 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 06:45 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,223 Likes on 858 Posts

This thread has also convinced me not to look to even the best specialist to perform my GTE swap.

Idlefree, I hope you can get your car back in shape soon. What a nightmare they have caused you. At the very least, do try to get them on the BBB's radar.
Old 03-21-15, 05:48 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
This thread has also convinced me not to look to even the best specialist to perform my GTE swap.

Idlefree, I hope you can get your car back in shape soon. What a nightmare they have caused you. At the very least, do try to get them on the BBB's radar.
Thanks Kahn,
I will definitely contact the BBB,
No one should go through this after spending there hard earned money, this should be considered theft.
Old 03-21-15, 05:59 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

I just notice the shop that worked on my car is selling his car on club lexus forum below is the link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post8963819
Old 03-21-15, 06:38 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Idlefree
I just notice the shop that worked on my car is selling his car on club lexus forum below is the link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post8963819

Huh ? I wonder why it was quickly edited and info removed ? Why ? Anything to hide ?

One should hold his/her chin up high if he/she isn't guilty of anything ! That just creates more suspicion,.

Beware of sweet talking people in this business especially if they are selling you something. Scrutinize every word they say and do research about them in the forums. Before you know it, they say one thing but do another .

Quick Reply: Complete build gone completely wrong