SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Complete build gone completely wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 06:44 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Idlefree
I just went on the companies web site, they just closed the shop.
I wonder why, if the vehicles they built was like mine they took the money and ran.
this is unbelievable, hopefully these owner won't open in a different name and start ripping people off once again.
Karma is a B I T C H

Wrong doings will always catch up with you, if you are an A S S H O L E. It is a matter of time.
Old 03-25-15, 07:13 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Karma is a B I T C H

Wrong doings will always catch up with you, if you are an A S S H O L E. It is a matter of time.
Hey gerrb,

I really hope the shop owners get there Karma.
Old 03-26-15, 02:11 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GSXMike
So again sorry to hear that but a two month time frame is not realistic. The shop should have told you that but sounds like most people today who just wanted to take your money.
You are correct , it takes time. But a lot of people in this industry give false hope or tell the paying customer a time frame like a weekend job, a week , a month or 2 months just to impress or make themselves look good . Six Months later you still see them working on it , , with TONS of EXCUSES .

You said it right, they just wanted to take your money . Once they have your car all taken apart, then you are at their mercy. Got no choice but wait !
Old 03-29-15, 05:15 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Sucks to hear that you have experienced that but if it one thing I have learned in the auto community is that you cannot be in a rush to get your car built if you expect it to be done right and be reliable.

The only people that can do that are people like chip foose or underground racing and they have a team of guys who have been working on cars for years if not decades and have connections to the best and brightest, and they are not cheap.

I took over a year to rebuild my SC and it isn't even turbo, it is just a stock NA 3 liter car. Always do the work yourself and learn, or pay only the best shop to do it. And never ever expect a full build to take only a couple months. Many people don't realize that when working on these older cars the shop or tech, or even you if you are doing the work, are going to encounter parts that need replacement, items that you did not account for originally. Old rubber parts that crumble or break, or hoses that don't want to budge from pipes that need to be cut off and then you need to special order them because autozone or oreillys can't get the part. There's always something that comes up unless you are dealing with a new car where all the rubber is still pliable and nuts and bolts haven't been subject to salt/corrosion. Plus if someone else had done "modifications" to the car before hand and they were done incorrectly then you need to clean that up.

So again sorry to hear that but a two month time frame is not realistic. The shop should have told you that but sounds like most people today who just wanted to take your money. Live and learn.
Thanks GXXMike,
I have really learned my lesson the hard way. I just hope the two owner of Tach Motor Works Nancy Sarai and Lucky Sarai don't open another shop and start ripping people off again.
All I can say is anyone who what's to take there vehicle to a shop, do research, do it again and talk to as many people as possible. I did my research before taking my car but not enough
Old 03-29-15, 06:02 AM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything we can do to help get you back on the road?
Old 03-29-15, 06:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Idlefree
All I can say is anyone who what's to take there vehicle to a shop, do research, do it again and talk to as many people as possible.
Not only a shop , with regards this business, it's ANYBODY (shop or individual) for that matter !

A lot of them are sweet talkers when they are trying to get your business .
Old 03-29-15, 05:48 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Turbo5upra
anything we can do to help get you back on the road?
Hi Turbo5supra, thank you for the offer, I am sure I will need help.
Me and my son just took off the whole top end off and the throttle body was full of oil, this was from the pcv valve line.
I am trying to figure out where the oil is leaking from on the drivers side to the back of the engine, no that the whole throttle body is removed.
is thier a way to check for an oil leak without a vehicle being started? I have completely cleaned all the oil? Any one help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-15, 09:27 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

get some pics to help us out man....
Old 03-30-15, 09:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

have you replaced the valve cover gaskets? you should start there that is usually what does that. do the distributor o_ring also those 2 show up about every 100k.
Old 03-30-15, 10:23 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Man, I've been there and done that. I've paid a shop over $10k for a specific swap, and found that there were no motor mount nuts/bolts holding the engine to the mounts after I DROVE THE CAR HOME!!! I could've basically died on my first drive with the car after spending that much money on my car.

It's getting to the point where these shops will get their "friends" to go online to forums and say great things about their shop. So next time, all you can really do is do your research (which includes researching the people that say great things about a shop) and make a judgement call from there. If a specific opinion sounds biased, then it most likely is. If the price sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work ISN'T good.
Old 03-30-15, 04:17 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
get some pics to help us out man....
Hope these pictures help, sorry for the clothes in the hollow area I want to make sure nothing goes inside. this is the area that was drenched with oil, even in the throttle body were the blue clothes are stuff. The oil is from this area and runs right down to the transmission and exhaust.

I would appreciate any help...

This is the area that was full of oil, sorry for the clothes I want to make sure nothing goes inside. Where I have the clothes also had oil inside.

Last edited by Idlefree; 03-30-15 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 04:26 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
have you replaced the valve cover gaskets? you should start there that is usually what does that. do the distributor o_ring also those 2 show up about every 100k.
Thank you Ali SC3,

I am hoping the shop at least put new gaskets, the plugs area was drenched with oil again so after reading your guidance I tried the valve cover bolts and some of them were very loose so I tighten the bolts.

I will check the distributor o-ring tomorrow.
Old 03-30-15, 04:35 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

This is how bad the leak is
Old 03-30-15, 04:40 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Is that the bottom of the engine bay, or the inside of the oil pan? lol
Old 03-30-15, 05:36 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Use a torque wrench with those valve cover bolts. You can snap the ears of the valve covers if over tightened. Is your bell housing soaked with oil too ?

Quick Reply: Complete build gone completely wrong