SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Complete build gone completely wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 09:03 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Huh ? I wonder why it was quickly edited and info removed ? Why ? Anything to hide ?

One should hold his/her chin up high if he/she isn't guilty of anything ! That just creates more suspicion,.

Beware of sweet talking people in this business especially if they are selling you something. Scrutinize every word they say and do research about them in the forums. Before you know it, they say one thing but do another .
Thanks Gerrb, I did not know he took down all the pictures and info of the car from the forum.
Wow, the true colours of Tach Motor Works is coming out now I can officially say I have been burned and scammed :egads

I am just glad I have every email, phone call conversation recorded and invoice to prove all my claims.

I hope everyone here in the forum watches for Tach Motor Works, and not get ripped off like I did
So this is how an idiot feels.
Old 03-21-15, 09:18 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would just take him to court and be done with it. sue the company and get your money back
Old 03-22-15, 07:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP good luck if you have plans of running after them ! I know how it feels when you spend so much hard earned money just for some people to sweet talk you to go into something so they can squeeze every dollar from you and into their pocket.
Old 03-22-15, 10:07 AM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Old 03-22-15, 11:05 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikef
i would just take him to court and be done with it. sue the company and get your money back
Hey Mikef, I would really like to take that route, but at this time I will be putting my claim into the dmv of N.Y and BBB as a start and see where it takes me.

Originally Posted by gerrb
OP good luck if you have plans of running after them ! I know how it feels when you spend so much hard earned money just for some people to sweet talk you to go into something so they can squeeze every dollar from you and into their pocket.
Hey Gerrb, you hit it on the noise, I trusted the shop to build the car correctly the worse part they have the right to keep your car until you pay in full no matter what, pay now make a claim later. The other bad thing my son just got his licence and was so excited about the build and he is just as upset as I am.

Originally Posted by Turbo5upra

Thank you Turbo5supra, for the link very interesting I did not know of this.
Old 03-23-15, 10:39 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A bad mechanic is just that. when I had my shop, if I FUBAR'D something I made it right, out of my own pocket. Satisfied customers is where your bread & butter comes from! Sue the crap out of them.
Old 03-24-15, 01:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

this is why I have an "anything you need done right you should do yourself" policy when it comes to cars.
I have had cars go in for repairs only to come back with valve cover bolts purposefully loosened up or coil pack connectors messed with, and mechanics insisting it needs repairs only do discover that I am not the typical consumer they are used to tricking. Thanks but no thanks I can figure out how to tighten my own valve cover bolts back up (cause they will claim to change the gasket but they will only re tighten down those bolts). I have seen alot of shady stuff just trying to get work on a car done to the point where even when you can spot it its still discouraging to trust someone else cause you will never know what all they touched when they were in there, and all however many valvecover bolts there are do not all loosen by themselves... at the same time... I mean maybe one or 2.. maybe, but not all of them. anyone who works on their own valve covers knows those bolts generally freeze up over time not loosen up. if they are going to loosen up they would do it shortly after installation anyways, and not just on the easier valvecover to get to (mechanic did not even take the time to loosen both valvecovers just did one). needless to say my cars are not going there or anywhere if I can help it.

to me it doesn't sounds that the car is as bad as the shop that its in.
is it the 99 sc300 in your profile? if so sounds like typical valve cover gasket leak but the coolant coming around the plugs does not sound normal, either something more serious is wrong or the coolant lines going to the thottle body are leaking not put on correctly, a sign of someone not paying attention or in a hurry, or who simply does not care if they cannot replace valvecover gaskets and put some coolant lines back in place.

with coolant and/or oil in the plug valley, it will never run right it will always misfire. you have to do those gaskets first and correct the leaks before it will spark right.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-24-15 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 01:14 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay guys,

I understand people have gotten screwed by some shops out there but that's not all of them. I know of two shops in Texas that go out of there way for there customers and I never hear horror stories from them. They may be the minority but there are some good shops out there.

Shane
Old 03-24-15, 10:51 PM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default very sad

If this ever happened to me, there would be hell to pay.

If I didn't actually harm them physically, I would do something behind the scenes to wreck their business forever.

But I'm only talking about a situation where they have absolutely screwed you and won't make it right.

Get everyone you know to sign up for a yelp account and write 20 bad reviews.

Contact the IRS and other government agencies and encourage then to look for irregularities in the business. Oh yeah, the Equal Opportunity crew can deal a lot of pain too if the company doesn't employ "diversity."
Lots of things you can do to payback.

Also, you can file a small claim and take them to court, maybe get your money back. I've done quite a few small claims and I've won every one. If you have all of the paperwork and documentation, seems to me a judge would be very likely to rule in your favor.
Old 03-24-15, 11:42 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by joeschmoe
if this ever happened to me, there would be hell to pay.

If i didn't actually harm them physically, i would do something behind the scenes to wreck their business forever.

But i'm only talking about a situation where they have absolutely screwed you and won't make it right.

Contact the irs and other government agencies and encourage then to look for irregularities in the business. Oh yeah, the equal opportunity crew can deal a lot of pain too if the company doesn't employ "diversity."
lots of things you can do to payback.

Also, you can file a small claim and take them to court, maybe get your money back. I've done quite a few small claims and i've won every one. If you have all of the paperwork and documentation, seems to me a judge would be very likely to rule in your favor.
badabing bada boom!
Old 03-24-15, 11:42 PM
Wick3dSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Idlefree
Hi everyone,
So I decided to do a complete build on my car, but wanted it done right so decided to take it to a performance shop. What a mistake.........
1. The car was suppose to take 2 months to complete, it took them almost 6 month
2. When I got the car it was winter so it got towed ran very little
3. For one week I tried to start the car, it would not start
4. Call the shop and we went back and forth trying to figure out the issue, finally took the spark plugs out and all black fouled. My throttle body was full of motor oil,while doing the my wheel well was smashed with a hammer by the mechanics to the point the weld that joins to the frame is cracked.
5. Finally got the car started and it just kept on stalling, again emails to the shop indicated try to adjust the TPS, that seemed to keep the car idling.
6. Finally took the car for a drive, kept on stalling had to have my foot on the brake and gas had to come back home.
things get worse.........
7. Lifted the car motor oil dripping everywhere on the drivers side from the top of the engine all the way to the exhaust, wait for the good one 3 bolts that connect the tranny to the engine almost falling off.
Now I got worried and started to look at everything...
8. They disconnect my windshield wash fluid hose to use as vacuum hoses for the waste gate so now I have no windshield hoses
9. The heat was not working on the car, I went back and forth with the shop nothing so I went for days trying everything, even flushed the whole cooling system to find out the thermostat was an aftermarket when I was charged for an OEM replaced it for an OEM,well finally figured it out no vacuum connected to the heater cotroll valve went to buy the vacuum hose connect and finally working
10. Got the car started ran for a couple of days and guess what died againg, took the plugs again throttle body full of oil, spark plugs foul again two sets gone.
11. There is so many thing unplugged under the hood, that I'm trying to figure it out
12. Coolant fluid leaking from the bolts beside the spark plugs
13. Every time I get the car started I loose about 1/4 quart of oil from the leak
14. Even after I changed the plugs again, the car has a hard time keeping it's idle, TPS is turned all the way, and oil leak
I spent good money, to get this build as you can see what a disappointment, my biggest problem this shop is at least 9 hours away.
This is my Frankenstein build from a professional performance shop in Ney York
Teaches me I should of did the build myself, and the car is an ornament on my driveway.
sorry to hear man, where in NY did you take it? How much did you pay as well? I took my SC too M&S Performance.
Old 03-25-15, 02:23 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
A bad mechanic is just that. when I had my shop, if I FUBAR'D something I made it right, out of my own pocket. Satisfied customers is where your bread & butter comes from! Sue the crap out of them.
You would think a shop like this would do their best to do the job you pay for, not in this case. At this point I am in contact with the NY DMV and BBB depending on the result, I may have to sue.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
this is why I have an "anything you need done right you should do yourself" policy when it comes to cars.
I have had cars go in for repairs only to come back with valve cover bolts purposefully loosened up or coil pack connectors messed with, and mechanics insisting it needs repairs only do discover that I am not the typical consumer they are used to tricking. Thanks but no thanks I can figure out how to tighten my own valve cover bolts back up (cause they will claim to change the gasket but they will only re tighten down those bolts). I have seen alot of shady stuff just trying to get work on a car done to the point where even when you can spot it its still discouraging to trust someone else cause you will never know what all they touched when they were in there, and all however many valvecover bolts there are do not all loosen by themselves... at the same time... I mean maybe one or 2.. maybe, but not all of them. anyone who works on their own valve covers knows those bolts generally freeze up over time not loosen up. if they are going to loosen up they would do it shortly after installation anyways, and not just on the easier valvecover to get to (mechanic did not even take the time to loosen both valvecovers just did one). needless to say my cars are not going there or anywhere if I can help it.

to me it doesn't sounds that the car is as bad as the shop that its in.
is it the 99 sc300 in your profile? if so sounds like typical valve cover gasket leak but the coolant coming around the plugs does not sound normal, either something more serious is wrong or the coolant lines going to the thottle body are leaking not put on correctly, a sign of someone not paying attention or in a hurry, or who simply does not care if they cannot replace valvecover gaskets and put some coolant lines back in place.

with coolant and/or oil in the plug valley, it will never run right it will always misfire. you have to do those gaskets first and correct the leaks before it will spark right.

Hey SC3, unfortunately their was only so much I could of done myself, but after what has happen I would of rather had left the vehicle stock.
I have changed the plugs three times and this is the only way ii can get the vehicle started, the plugs are completely fouled every time And this is causing the vehicle not to start.. In four weeks I've only driven the vehicle 136miles because it starts to stall and dies again. There is oil in the throttle body, I'm still trying to find out where the oil leak is coming from. Below is a picture of where the coolant comes from.

These are the bolts where the coolant keeps on linking from

Last edited by Idlefree; 03-25-15 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 02:32 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SSmith
Okay guys,

I understand people have gotten screwed by some shops out there but that's not all of them. I know of two shops in Texas that go out of there way for there customers and I never hear horror stories from them. They may be the minority but there are some good shops out there.

Hey SSmith,
I don't doubt there is good shops out their, I just won't take the chance I rather take the transit before I go back to a shop.

Shane
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
If this ever happened to me, there would be hell to pay.

If I didn't actually harm them physically, I would do something behind the scenes to wreck their business forever.

But I'm only talking about a situation where they have absolutely screwed you and won't make it right.

Contact the IRS and other government agencies and encourage then to look for irregularities in the business. Oh yeah, the Equal Opportunity crew can deal a lot of pain too if the company doesn't employ "diversity."
Lots of things you can do to payback.

Also, you can file a small claim and take them to court, maybe get your money back. I've done quite a few small claims and I've won every one. If you have all of the paperwork and documentation, seems to me a judge would be very likely to rule in your favor.
Hey Shane,
I am just wait to see what comes out of my complain application to the BBB and the NY DMV if no result, I will persuade onto a law suit against them and diffently get bad reviews all over the place.
Old 03-25-15, 02:36 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Wick3dSC
sorry to hear man, where in NY did you take it? How much did you pay as well? I took my SC too M&S Performance.
Thanks Wick3dSC, I took it to Tach Motor Works in Ocean Side New York, hopefully you had much more luck than I did. I am embarrassed to say how much I paid, this is what get for trusting the shop
The only problem this is a very expensive lesson
Old 03-25-15, 05:20 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

I just went on the companies web site, they just closed the shop.
I wonder why, if the vehicles they built was like mine they took the money and ran.
this is unbelievable, hopefully these owner won't open in a different name and start ripping people off once again.

Quick Reply: Complete build gone completely wrong