Is it time to retire my SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 08:15 AM
mrbrandon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time to retire my SC?

Hello everyone,

My 94 SC400 just hit 250k miles and I've got a $1000 repair problem on my hands. My front driver lower control arm and rear driver upper control arm have failed and need replaced before I can do an alignment. I've had the SC for 8 years and driven it 60k. I'm currently saving for a newer used car, but saving has come to a standstill becuse of SC repair bills. I'd like to have $5-7.5k saved for something 06 or newer and should have it within 6 months.

This past year, I've replaced:

- Spark Plugs
- Alternator
- Radiator
- Steering Rack
- P/S Pump
- Shocks
- Front Passenger lower control arm
- Snow Tires

To be replaced (likely):

- Timing Belt/Pump

I've got the means to repair the arms. I'm curious what the breaking point is for others around here. I'm assuming if the repair matches the cost of the car or its an engine/tranny, its time to say goodbye.
Old 03-15-15, 08:50 AM
turbo16lbs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To most, what I've seen its the value of the vehicle's personal impact on the satisfaction of owning it versus cost. That's the real breaking point for most. Not just for SC's but for any vehicle. I would personally sell it, and look for an SC300 with lower mileage and better condition. Best of wishes on whatever you decide.
Old 03-15-15, 03:24 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my previous car , owned it for 16 years and the bill would be to high to still give that smile on my face
so i trade it in for the SC i own now , didn't regret it since i know my previous car is in good hands now

my advice ...trade it in for a another car you would consider to be better then what you now have
as long as it makes you happy
Old 03-15-15, 03:57 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same decision to make a few years ago with my transmission, and I just did it, kept on using it, but now I need to sell for other reasons.
Do you have a replacement car that you'll be happy with?
If not fix it and keep driving...
Old 03-15-15, 04:06 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the newer car will give you the same emotional satisfaction-don't underestimate that. That's the reason why so many SC owners on here have owned the car multiple times or have multiple cars.
Old 03-15-15, 04:29 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

A 20 year old SC is not for everyone. Comparing repairs to the "value" of the car with a first gen SC is a difficult process. People would laugh at me if they knew what I have re-invested in my vehicle but it is what I decided to do.

Sounds like you would be better off finding something that would give you better piece of mind.
Old 03-15-15, 05:23 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've replaced a good amount of stuff already, if you fix a few more things that car won't have problems for a long time assuming the tranny holds up. I honestly don't know what my breaking point would be, it depends how much money I have at that point in time knowing other SC's have been selling for cheap lately. If my tranny went I would either look for a 5-speed swap or part it to fund another SC. I have a motorcycle though so it's not my only form of transportation.
Old 03-15-15, 05:56 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 480 Likes on 290 Posts
Default Driving for FREE

I've had my SC most of its life. $100,000 ins costs me $400 a yr, registration $100. All the money i've spent is a rebuilt suspension (Not lowered) & timing belts, I'm coming up for another, but nothing ever breaks. The lightbulb in my glove compartment still comes on!
Your thread got me thinking. I could drop in a new engine & trans & still be ahead of the game. I've been driving this Great car "it still turns heads" for free. I don't think I have a breaking point
I just thank God everyday :
Old 03-15-15, 09:25 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't think I have a breaking point I just thank God everyday :

My 92 has cost me more than I would spend to buy another SC, but the satisfaction I get every time I drive it makes me love it more. It is a satisfaction that makes all the money and time put into the SC, completely worth it.
Old 03-16-15, 02:40 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

If the body is in good condition and solid rust free frame, why not spend the g to fix it and keep driving, rather than spending another 6 or 7 gs for used another car with unknown future issues.
I hate car payments, but to each his own.
Oh and I love my sc!

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 03-19-15 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-16-15, 03:43 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
rather thank spending another 6 or 7 gs for used another car with unknown future issues.
Better the devil you know than the one you don't.
Everything you fix is one less thing on your car that has the potential to break. Every car you buy is just starting all over with the possibility for more things to break.
Old 03-16-15, 05:39 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it doesn't make smile anymore then yes it may be time to move on.
Old 03-17-15, 03:16 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting, not quite sure what would be my breaking point? I love my SC, even with all it's flaws and headaches I've dealt with. For me, it's about the beauty she will become once I'm done with her! In your case, this is a Tough call, but honestly you should do what's best for you and within your budget? If you're already looking, and planning on putting a good down payment for something else...I think you've already made your decision (mentally)? Either way, good luck and keep us posted?

steve
Old 03-18-15, 09:07 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Everyone thinks and feels differently. Sometimes I like to just grab the keys and drive for no reason. In traffic I drive by people and just know they like my car better than theirs lol.. I cant imagine anything short of a blown motor making me sell it for anything else. Even then, it would be an excuse to swap a 1j/2j. Like everyone has said before, you've done A LOT of the leg work already and there's a light at the end of the short tunnel you're in. Timing belt/WP and control arms and then its good for what, another 75k? I don't see the point in selling it for peanuts just to have another car that will sooner or later need the same maintenance and TLC too. All the things you listed are wearable parts and will need to be done on even a brand new car sooner or later.. If you're really after an 2006 year model, you'll be right at the 100k mark for the same TLC but chances are it wont be as common and parts/labor will be more expensive. In the long run, getting a new car wont get you anywhere but a newer year, unknown underlying issues and more expensive insurance...

Rant over, keep your car
Old 03-18-15, 09:59 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I own my 96 SC 400 for my own personal satisfaction, I"ve got 217K miles on it And punched the nose in on a pole (slid on the ice) & am still going to fix it & keep right on running. It does keep cost of repairs down if you can do most of your own work on it tho. If I didn't have so many other project cars, I'd own 2 of them. It's a car I'll keep & my grandaughter will inherit. (She can drive it to the prom in 18 yrs) Getting parts can be a bit problematic if you happen to live in a SC dead zone like I do tho. LOL.

Quick Reply: Is it time to retire my SC?