SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Auto Couture Kit Concerns

Old 02-20-15, 07:50 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Couture Kit Concerns

Hey Guys,

I am about to buy a auto couture kit for my 1998 SC400, and i was just asking if i should know anything before i do purchase it. I daily my sc400 to work and school and i have a set of TT wheels off of a MKIV supra that i am putting into my car during this spring. I also have BC coils that im putting in during the Spring, and i live in New Jersey home of the potholes Will the AC kit do me good or should i avoid it?

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 02-20-15, 10:37 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

It is usually a very good fitting kit and flow well. It is made of dura flex??? and will hold up well as long as you do not hit anything too hard. It also depends on how low you drop the car, with a 1 inch drop you will have about 4 inches of clearance between the bottom of the bumper and the ground. I am about to install my kit and coil overs in a few day and will post some pics.
Old 02-21-15, 06:17 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't the Auto Couture kit very expensive? Isn't the Shine kit more or less the same for less?
Old 02-21-15, 06:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Original Auto Couture kit is well over $2k and the Shine replica which is of good quality after all is half the price.
Old 02-21-15, 07:01 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If it was me, I'd go with the Shine kit due to the SC being a "daily" driver. Save some of that money from the AC kit and put that towards other parts for your SC? Now I know some members are against replica kits and wheels, but honestly I'd go with what works best for your budget. Just my 2 cents though...
Old 02-21-15, 07:17 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
If it was me, I'd go with the Shine kit due to the SC being a "daily" driver. Save some of that money from the AC kit and put that towards other parts for your SC? Now I know some members are against replica kits and wheels, but honestly I'd go with what works best for your budget. Just my 2 cents though...
+1 ^^^ .. Original or Replica , they will break anyway. We all have our priorities. Like, I would rather use that extra money on quality go fast goodies and use the Shine AC replica. It is of good quality , not cheap fiberglass that easily breaks. But like any other car that gets nearer touching the pavement because of a body kit, if you are not careful , it will break if you hit something really with force , e.g. curbs on a drive thru or parking lot stoppers, deep dips on the road / inclines .
Old 02-21-15, 07:38 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought my SC with the Shine kit already on it. Way to fragile, so I replaced it with a 97+.
Old 02-21-15, 08:12 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay OEM looks great already, and it's great quality.
Old 02-21-15, 09:57 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not get the front in fiberglass if I were you...it's just a matter of time before it cracks and honestly a pain in the rear to keep repairing!

I'm in the process of installing my +97 OEM front with a Fujin Poly lip, Shine Auto sides and rear bumper..the Shine kit is really great quality but if you want the original AC kit then go for it.
Old 02-21-15, 12:09 PM
jennie
Pole Position

I have first hand experience with both the AC and Shine kits and would pick the AC kit every day of the week.

The Shine kit is nice because it's cheaper and offers nice fitment. The kit is flexible but that is what makes the kit very fragile. The thin bumper quickly cracks because of flexing. The AC kit on the other hand is made of very thick and rigid fiberglass. It'll have minimal flex like when coming out of driveways but will withstand way more such as hitting things on the freeway.
Old 02-21-15, 05:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jennie
I have first hand experience with both the AC and Shine kits and would pick the AC kit every day of the week.

The Shine kit is nice because it's cheaper and offers nice fitment. The kit is flexible but that is what makes the kit very fragile. The thin bumper quickly cracks because of flexing. The AC kit on the other hand is made of very thick and rigid fiberglass. It'll have minimal flex like when coming out of driveways but will withstand way more such as hitting things on the freeway.
That's really good to know. I was considering a Shine front bumper but it seems the AC bumper would be a better choice.
Old 02-21-15, 07:07 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

if you are planning on rolling on Supra TT 17's then the kid will dwarf your wheels and make the car look bad. You need agressive 19's to make the car look good. I say keep it oem, just lower it
Old 02-22-15, 12:02 AM
DrMcPho
Rookie

It's usually the front bumper that gets the most damage. I had the shine auto kit and it easily cracked and was something that needed constant repair, it usually depends on how you drive but it's just very fragile. Switched to a poly 97+ front bumper and poly fujin lip and I don't regret the shine front bumper at all.
Old 02-22-15, 04:42 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive had genuine ac kit on my car for over 7 yrs. Key to longevity is ,have your installer add so flexible fiberglass in the lower areas from the backside

Here a shot of mine after 6yrs of daily use

Old 02-22-15, 05:57 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Ive had genuine ac kit on my car for over 7 yrs. Key to longevity is ,have your installer add so flexible fiberglass in the lower areas from the backside

Here a shot of mine after 6yrs of daily use
^^ Car looks great!

I'll have to try that flex fiberglass trick, I cracked mine already. I can't blame the bumper though. I didn't see an unpainted speed bump at night and hit it really hard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Couture Kit Concerns