SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Auto Couture Kit Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 11:19 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Ive had genuine ac kit on my car for over 7 yrs. Key to longevity is ,have your installer add so flexible fiberglass in the lower areas from the backside

Here a shot of mine after 6yrs of daily use

That's what I was going to say, strengthen the Shine kit and make it more durable. Shouldn't be hard.
Old 02-23-15, 07:39 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
It is usually a very good fitting kit and flow well. It is made of dura flex??? and will hold up well as long as you do not hit anything too hard. It also depends on how low you drop the car, with a 1 inch drop you will have about 4 inches of clearance between the bottom of the bumper and the ground. I am about to install my kit and coil overs in a few day and will post some pics.
Originally Posted by Biddles
Isn't the Auto Couture kit very expensive? Isn't the Shine kit more or less the same for less?
Originally Posted by gerrb
Original Auto Couture kit is well over $2k and the Shine replica which is of good quality after all is half the price.
Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
If it was me, I'd go with the Shine kit due to the SC being a "daily" driver. Save some of that money from the AC kit and put that towards other parts for your SC? Now I know some members are against replica kits and wheels, but honestly I'd go with what works best for your budget. Just my 2 cents though...
Originally Posted by joe diego
Bought my SC with the Shine kit already on it. Way to fragile, so I replaced it with a 97+.
I heard about the shine kit, the AC kit is better fitment and better quality and i heard good things about it !

Originally Posted by 187
Stay OEM looks great already, and it's great quality.
Yea it does look good, but i got a good deal i cant give up lol

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
I would not get the front in fiberglass if I were you...it's just a matter of time before it cracks and honestly a pain in the rear to keep repairing!

I'm in the process of installing my +97 OEM front with a Fujin Poly lip, Shine Auto sides and rear bumper..the Shine kit is really great quality but if you want the original AC kit then go for it.
Thanks , im going to do it !

Originally Posted by jennie
I have first hand experience with both the AC and Shine kits and would pick the AC kit every day of the week.

The Shine kit is nice because it's cheaper and offers nice fitment. The kit is flexible but that is what makes the kit very fragile. The thin bumper quickly cracks because of flexing. The AC kit on the other hand is made of very thick and rigid fiberglass. It'll have minimal flex like when coming out of driveways but will withstand way more such as hitting things on the freeway.
Nice , Thanks for the info never knew that.

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
if you are planning on rolling on Supra TT 17's then the kid will dwarf your wheels and make the car look bad. You need agressive 19's to make the car look good. I say keep it oem, just lower it
Some of my friends are criticizing me for my stance lol

Originally Posted by DrMcPho
It's usually the front bumper that gets the most damage. I had the shine auto kit and it easily cracked and was something that needed constant repair, it usually depends on how you drive but it's just very fragile. Switched to a poly 97+ front bumper and poly fujin lip and I don't regret the shine front bumper at all.
Cool thanks for the input

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Ive had genuine ac kit on my car for over 7 yrs. Key to longevity is ,have your installer add so flexible fiberglass in the lower areas from the backside

Here a shot of mine after 6yrs of daily use

Very useful information, thanks for the information. Because of this information i am going to make the purchase and i will post pics up when i do buy it. 7 years of daily use that nice ! Thanks !