SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

It's a damn shame to see no decent aftermarket solutions for the SC

Old 02-16-15, 10:46 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
I guess the only solution is to custom make your own parts and have 1of1 made to end this bitter truth. I agree the rcf will soon replace app of the sc's and supras on the road but it seems to be very expensive I would like to stay in the Lexus game maybe end up getting an ISF or GS350 if I can find one and sell the sc for what it's worth

the sc is worth...well, what you make of it.
fact is the sc3 engine was used to an amazing extent(imo). the tech in our cars is in a way what molded lexus, our car still gets respect in ways i never thought(who would actually think this car was made last year?).

the event that the sc is in now is unique. we own a luxury supra, not this 'poor-mans supra' crap. i love the rc, bout damn time lexus bought back a coupe. but bah, the sc is such an achievement - more than the rc(more of a combo of lfa/lc/isconvet). it contains a quality package that i personally haven't seen replicated, how many two-door have the space in the rear that the sc has(incl headroom)? in it's day of age, she looks better in oem form than am form [cept those rims].
she has in my mind, entered the classic realm(yes, all cars are female to me...habit).

it's a gentleman's car while being a master.

the gs and is are great, but....this is an sc. she own's a different class that even the sc430 didn't come close too(for me). the only diff is, don't look for crazy flare that the is/gs may have, stay simple. be concrete(the info is here for ub3r whatever) and make the best sc without going insane. the product is there, just more defined...
yes, im biased...i hate 4-doors
Old 02-17-15, 02:53 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

There is actually tremendous aftermarket support available for the SC300 and to a lesser extent the SC400 (although there are a good handful of vendors and shops that cater to UZ V8 engine builds if your wallet is deep).

This aftermarket support lies mostly with the drivetrain and its similarity and shared lineages with the Supra MKIV, Soarer and Chaser.

There is still plenty of support for aftermarket suspensions and even horrendously expensive Brembo brake upgrade kits.

Heck, we even have true plug and play HID headlight upgrade kits and aftermarket replacement windshield glass.

Last year we even got a multi-function aftermarket replacement for the factory climate control unit.

The shape of our cars is already near perfect and yet there are still several body kits being made for it (or in used circulation).

eight is right though that 1st gen SC's are plentiful... but gradually becoming rarer. And the ship has sailed. If it weren't for the Supra and general JZ engine markets there would be far less support for our cars because not as many SC owners spend the serious cash needed to sustain those niche markets.

Replacement interior and original cosmetic parts are the true glaring things we don't have much of... other than what Toyota/Lexus has left and what pops up in salvage yards. This isn't uncommon though. Even iconic cars based on a mass produced platform like the Lancia Delta Integrale Evo are difficult to locate miscellaneous cosmetic parts for.

All things considered we don't have what brand new sports cars have with immediate aftermarket offerings and bolt-on power adders but we do have a lot more than many, many other cars. Take the 1990-1995 Acura Legends for instance: great cars but nowhere near the aftermarket support and horsepower potential SC's enjoy.
Old 02-17-15, 05:58 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as tails are concerned 97+ and done. Leave it alone. Who's going to make aftermarket tails superior to those anyway?

And Seibon has two vented hoods. TSII style and VSII styled. Both nice quality hoods, they also offer a regular stock carbon fiber hood. Extreme Dimensions offers a few as well, quality/fitment aside. BN Sports also made two hoods if I'm correct, or it might be Bomex, not sure. They looked sick though quite rare now.

And then you got the custom fabrication route. It's all possible down that path as long as you got the funds.
Old 02-17-15, 06:23 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We drive lexus's version on the MKIV Toyota Supra, literally almost every component of the supra is a direct bolt on, what else could you ask for?
Old 02-17-15, 06:56 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO... The Sc design needs NO improvement. Its your choice to change and possible make it look worse. As another member/post suggested the Sc has been discontinued since 2000. Slim chance for the designer/maker of the new product to get money for a low count of running/working Sc's in the U. S.
Old 02-17-15, 08:58 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for the production quantity of the sc/soarer, there are TONS of parts available and no one should complain. given the age, there are still a lot of companies making parts for this car, albeit they are made to order. if you want cool taillights, then get something custom done.
Old 02-17-15, 09:00 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have one other car I would like to own other than my sc and that is a 69 daytona charger clearly made of unobtanium!! so one of two dream cars aint bad. I always lean towards the 97 body style but im still good with my not havin, thin body lookin 93 style, I just wished that there was a 97 after market style kit, all the ones currently available look too aggressive or to low for my liking. id do the duraflex but would chop down the skirts on the end and re glass them to prevent dragging on the muhafunkin ground.
Old 02-17-15, 09:09 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The only aftermarket you should do for the SC would be performance upgrades.....Engine, drivetrain, brakes, coils...etc....

Leave the time less classic styling of the body alone......and out of honestly I think the 97+ style has been overdone...Stay OEM with body pieces, tails, headlights etc..

The only aftermarket body kit for the car that keeps the clean look is the Autocouture or Shine Replica

Its a Lexus....keep it clean and classy!!!
Old 02-17-15, 09:32 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
The only aftermarket you should do for the SC would be performance upgrades.....Engine, drivetrain, brakes, coils...etc....

Leave the time less classic styling of the body alone......and out of honestly I think the 97+ style has been overdone...Stay OEM with body pieces, tails, headlights etc..

The only aftermarket body kit for the car that keeps the clean look is the Autocouture or Shine Replica

Its a Lexus....keep it clean and classy!!!
Unless you aren't going for clean and classy not everyone has the same goals and likes for their cars as for me im taking a rougher / grungier look as that's my style I don't like the super classy everyday "lexus" look everyone goes for
Old 02-17-15, 10:38 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Leave the time less classic styling of the body alone......and out of honestly I think the 97+ style has been overdone...
I find it amusing that so many people want the newer tail lights, side skirts, gated shifter, etc. But when I look at examples of each, I keep coming back to the conclusion that the newer stuff looks different, but not better (or worse, generally).
Old 02-17-15, 10:50 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I find it amusing that so many people want the newer tail lights, side skirts, gated shifter, etc. But when I look at examples of each, I keep coming back to the conclusion that the newer stuff looks different, but not better (or worse, generally).
I agree my tails are 93 I painted all red best to flow with my car
Old 02-17-15, 02:05 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it could be worse /end rant
Old 02-17-15, 03:29 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it could be worse /end rant
This.
The only thing we have no options for are headlights, foglights, high beams, and tail-lights... unless of course you're comfortable taking them apart in the oven, and with painting/wet-sanding small objects, in which case the sky is the limit. Or you could blow a couple thousand on clearcorners lights.

We have a good option of spoilers, hoods, roof spoilers, and body kits, the wheel well accommodates large enough rim sizes with minimal modification IMO, we have a wide body kit that doesn't look like trash, and the interior comes apart easily enough to allow for customizaion of a good bit of it.

I'm perfectly happy with the SC aftermarket, luckily enough we have boutique companies offering to repair our clusters, and HVAC units with custom lighting, an aftermarket climate controller, and we share suspension and motor parts with one of the biggest aftermarkets ever.

This could be a LOT worse. We even have one cheap 5 speed option, and one relatively affordable 5-speed option for those who bought automatics that require very little fabrification, and LSD options that require little modification as well. I really couldn't ask for much more, and relatively simple turbo setups, and you can get a drop in engine swap with forced induction for a grand so long as you're willing to move a bit of wiring.

This is a great platform and it could be MUCH worse. I'm grateful for all the opportunity we have, if you want a cheaper aftermarket, drive a cheaper car. There are Acura Integra's and 240's out there for sale in a similar price range ($5-$10k) whose aftermarket has a MUCH lower price of entry. But if you weren't ready to accept this car with all of it's flaws, foibles, and quirks before you bought it you probably should've done more research.
Old 02-17-15, 03:34 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eknine9
This.
The only thing we have no options for are headlights, foglights, high beams, and tail-lights... unless of course you're comfortable taking them apart in the oven, and with painting/wet-sanding small objects, in which case the sky is the limit. Or you could blow a couple thousand on clearcorners lights..
Ive found a few. dash z and a few other places have various clear, black and custom halos. highs too.

Old 02-17-15, 04:32 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I agree with some of your comments about the tail lights. IMO best are from 95'-96'... Gated shifters are annoying getting into gear cleanly... other feature I dislloke is the wing gap/space, on the trunk. Flush wing flows better with the Sc design.

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 02-17-15 at 04:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's a damn shame to see no decent aftermarket solutions for the SC