Fix, keep as is, or sell? Input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 10:19 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Fix, keep as is, or sell? Input welcome

*Long intro warning!

So back in July of 2014 I went to AZ and while I was out there I found a 1995 Lexus SC400. Had 187k miles at the time, paint was faded, seats were ripped, had a salvage title and had been wrecked twice. First time it was not serious enough and the owner repaired it. A few months later somebody T-boned him and the title was salvaged and it was taken to auction. (previous owner bought the car there then I purchased it from him). Bought it for $1450 and drove it some 500+ miles home with no issues. I originally bought it to fix and make like new but I'm having second thoughts. Has/had minor issues like the fuel sending unit being out, a couple needles and bulbs in the cluster, climate LCD is out, and pass side window doesn't roll down. The front seats are totaled but everything else interior-wise is great. (including door panels. Pass side doesn't even have any cracks!!!)
The engine looks rebuilt. In fact it is so clean you could eat off of it. No leaks whatsoever and it drives almost like a brand new Lexus should. Mechanically, it is stellar, but cosmetically, it looks like a buzzards butt. (for lack of a better term... )

It now has 190k, I haven't done anything really in getting it back to mint stock condition as of yet.

My question for all of you guys...
1.Should I keep driving it as-is?
2.Fix and enjoy
3.Sell it as-is (current route being taken.)

I drive it as my beater DD whereas my 92 SC400 is the "weekend" vehicle. Regardless, my 95 is driven as my main car.

Please see the pictures for the damage.

Seats are a big investment...seat covers or not, the minor things like bulbs and needles are nothing to worry about but they do add up. The damage is extensive and would cost me around $1600 to paint and repair dents and damage. $1600 isn't that much to repair a wrecked vehicle, but's lets be honest, this thing isn't really worth it...or is it? It's the "fixing a salvage title vehicle" that has gotten me. I suppose I could have done more research before buying it. It has no frame damage and drives straight as an arrow at 80.

Also, NO I'm not going to part it out! It's painful to see people parting out SC's that work great.

Comments and/or thoughts are welcome!

Old 02-11-15, 10:43 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would find a clean shell and swap everything over.

that body is done for
Old 02-11-15, 11:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

not worth fixing due to title and location of the hit, rear quarter panel hit on an SC is usually the end of that SC.
I would say flip it, use as is, or turn into a drift missile.
unless they cut that section out and reweld in a good one any other type of repair is likely going to be something that shows up again down the road.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-11-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 12:45 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you like the car, just build something you like and enjoy it till it dies. I would slap on an Extreme Dimensions wide body kit. The rear panels are just $199. The salvage title will make sale difficult so id just get my moneys worth in fun. Maybe a W58 eventually and drift it or whatever.
Old 02-11-15, 01:15 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's tough. At 190K though reselling is going to be hard with a salvage title, even if it's properly repaired it won't be worth much more then you paid for it. I agree with studiogeek, extreme dimensions wide kit covers it... If you can do some work yourself you will save a lot, and it could look sick in the end. Everything else is minor crap you can fix in a few weekends. If it really drives as good as you say it does, keep it. Otherwise part it. If you sell it as is the next person will most likely part it... I want the wheels tho!
Old 02-11-15, 01:16 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

A strong running car with a possible refreshed engine and too many cosmetic issues to name? Sounds like the perfect candidate to be stripped down as light as possible! I don't know about drifting, but get that sucker under 3,000 pounds and see what the platform is truly capable of.
Old 02-11-15, 01:25 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You can find clean(ish) tan seats for 1-$200
Old 02-11-15, 02:35 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Thank you all for your valuable input!
Originally Posted by irondonkey
i would find a clean shell and swap everything over.

that body is done for
I wouldn't say the body is "done for", but sure is messed up. Thanks for the input!
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
not worth fixing due to title and location of the hit, rear quarter panel hit on an SC is usually the end of that SC.
I would say flip it, use as is, or turn into a drift missile.
unless they cut that section out and reweld in a good one any other type of repair is likely going to be something that shows up again down the road.
Not worth fixing correctly. Would run me about $550 to repair correctly. More like $50 if I DIY...but I don't know much on spot welding.
Originally Posted by Studiogeek
If you like the car, just build something you like and enjoy it till it dies. I would slap on an Extreme Dimensions wide body kit. The rear panels are just $199. The salvage title will make sale difficult so id just get my moneys worth in fun. Maybe a W58 eventually and drift it or whatever.
I like this idea...unfortunately it says I would need to use with the entire wide body kit. I will definitely keep this in mind, though.
Originally Posted by Biddles
That's tough. At 190K though reselling is going to be hard with a salvage title, even if it's properly repaired it won't be worth much more then you paid for it. I agree with studiogeek, extreme dimensions wide kit covers it... If you can do some work yourself you will save a lot, and it could look sick in the end. Everything else is minor crap you can fix in a few weekends. If it really drives as good as you say it does, keep it. Otherwise part it. If you sell it as is the next person will most likely part it... I want the wheels tho!
This is true. I'd probably be better off parting it if I'm going for the money, but I don't want to end another SC's life...even one looking like this one.
Originally Posted by t2d2
A strong running car with a possible refreshed engine and too many cosmetic issues to name? Sounds like the perfect candidate to be stripped down as light as possible! I don't know about drifting, but get that sucker under 3,000 pounds and see what the platform is truly capable of.
Haha...that'd be a blast. Though I'm pretty sure I won't be making it a drifter.
Originally Posted by Studiogeek
You can find clean(ish) tan seats for 1-$200
Really? I can't find any.
Old 02-12-15, 06:54 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Thank you all for your valuable input!

I wouldn't say the body is "done for", but sure is messed up. Thanks for the input!

Not worth fixing correctly. Would run me about $550 to repair correctly. More like $50 if I DIY...but I don't know much on spot welding.

I like this idea...unfortunately it says I would need to use with the entire wide body kit. I will definitely keep this in mind, though.

This is true. I'd probably be better off parting it if I'm going for the money, but I don't want to end another SC's life...even one looking like this one.

Haha...that'd be a blast. Though I'm pretty sure I won't be making it a drifter.

Really? I can't find any.

i have a nice driver seat and pass quarter panel for 300 shipped.
Old 02-12-15, 07:23 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

@ aliga I will let you know if I'm interested.

All, I'm leaning towards repairing it. Not shelling out 2k on it, though. The only major issues are the seats, body damage, and title. I am also leaning towards the wide body kit. Question regarding the kit, could I just install the rear panels? I'm not gonna lie, I'm not the kind of guy to mod an SC...just not my forte. This may be a start... I don't know, we shall see.
Old 02-12-15, 08:03 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scrap it. sc's are a dime a dozen nowadays and almost given away on a regular basis. buy a fresher one!
Old 02-12-15, 10:55 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey OP,

We sell two different options for the SC. You can use the complete wide body kit ORRRRRRRRRRR...

Just cut out the rear quarter panel and run our 50mm rear overs!
Old 02-12-15, 05:37 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

^ there you go, drift missile ready to go with major weight reduction lol
Old 02-16-15, 07:09 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Agreed. And geez if people juts took a few minutes out of their weekend every other few months to clean and condition leather it wouldn't get brittle and crack like that so severely.
...and if people stored their Lexus in the garage and the heaps of garbage somewhere else.

Thanks for all of the valuable input all! I've decided to sell as-is for now. Just get what I can out of it and then buy another SC400 without a salvage title and/or buy a GS400.
Old 02-16-15, 08:36 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any consideration on parting out the good parts to your Sc? My headlight are gradually clouding up from the inside and yours looks clean/clear. DIY looks long/tedious, such as parting out having it sit for a long period. Always SORRY to see an Sc damaged because it's such a beautiful designed/looking vehicle.

Quick Reply: Fix, keep as is, or sell? Input welcome