SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

can an SC be made to handle like a bmw e39....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 03:48 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Too many teenagers or people with nothing but hopes and dreams will come on here and badmouth SCs because they bought a car for $2k and expected something great out of it haha.
i'm 21 and got my car for 2k lol.
Old 01-31-15, 11:30 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved that Corolla video
Old 02-01-15, 04:00 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Not gonna happen. The bmw is more balanced in every aspect.
Old 02-01-15, 05:50 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say, these are two different cars when it comes to handling and performance, the BMW is a great handling car and fun to drive... Yes the biggest problem is reliability, I felt It was always in the shop for maintenance.....wait it was...LOL .... The sc is a great reliable car fun to drive, once you've changed a few things here and thier but still not the same handling of a BMW. Just saying as it is.... But I would never give up my sc for an BMW, I rather drive than be at the shop all the time....
Old 02-01-15, 08:54 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take everything with a grain of salt that you read here. Also keep in mind half of this forum (no offense, but it's not what it was ten years ago) is filled with people driving SCs that are in DIRE need of serious maintenance, so they have no clue what these cars are capable of or how they drive when you put in the work and money into them.

Too many teenagers or people with nothing but hopes and dreams will come on here and badmouth SCs because they bought a car for $2k and expected something great out of it haha.
97 SC300, I couldn't have said it better...And no offense aimed at anybody on this forum...But so very many of the SC's now days are just that...6-10 owners, driven almost into the ground and not well maintained, and owned by many younger people that don't have the years of work and savings and money to put into the car to bring it up to stock condition...So, their cars will drive and hadle poorly compared to those that have well maintained and upgraded their SC's. Again, no offense offered, just noticing the same...These cars are awesome when broght up to snuff!!

Ryan
Old 02-01-15, 09:05 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Never driven a BMW E39 but my SC handles great without having to be in the shop all the time lol
Old 02-03-15, 10:35 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
97 SC300, I couldn't have said it better...And no offense aimed at anybody on this forum...But so very many of the SC's now days are just that...6-10 owners, driven almost into the ground and not well maintained, and owned by many younger people that don't have the years of work and savings and money to put into the car to bring it up to stock condition...So, their cars will drive and hadle poorly compared to those that have well maintained and upgraded their SC's. Again, no offense offered, just noticing the same...These cars are awesome when broght up to snuff!!

Ryan
Right on! 1 thing to mention that makes the SC seems (not fact) that it doesn't handle sportily is its low power. If you make it fast & powerful, then it'll be more quickly responsive to handling. Good handling isn't the same as power issue, but they're related and support each other.
Old 02-03-15, 11:54 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Take everything with a grain of salt that you read here. Also keep in mind half of this forum (no offense, but it's not what it was ten years ago) is filled with people driving SCs that are in DIRE need of serious maintenance, so they have no clue what these cars are capable of or how they drive when you put in the work and money into them.

This is about as spot on as it gets.
Old 02-03-15, 10:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
This is about as spot on as it gets.
it applies to any old car scene. E30s are pretty garbage, most of them. the only ones in good shape are 318is convertibles. and we all know why.
Old 02-04-15, 10:32 AM
Khiladi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just chiming in because I spent most of the last 5 years in an E39 540 Sport (that we still own) and an E46 M3 6-spd. If I could get the SC to have nearly the balance of handling, road feel, steering, and overall smoothness and rigidity that either of those BMWs had, combined with Lexus' inherent reliability, just by slapping on some bushings and sway bars, I would never consider buying another car again! However, before I end up spending all the money on modifying the SC, I guess I need to drive one already modified in such a way so I won't be disappointed with expecting a "BMW-like" drive. I've so far just done Supra Eibachs and KYB AGX's, and to my surprise, the "boat" feeling is pretty much gone. A quicker steering rack could go a long way though. (can we swap in a MKIV Supra rack?)
I sold my M3 because there was always a big $ repair item coming down the road (subframe, VANOS), along with the constant electrical annoyances familiar with German cars, and I was ready to come back to Toyota/Lexus last fall knowingly forgoing the sublime balance of those bimmers for relatively stress-free ownership. We still own the 2003 540 (150K miles), but will probably sell it this year as well, as its value just doesn't warrant the cost of maintenance and repairs. If I could wrench everything myself, and know that the transmission would last another 100k, then I would keep it in a heart beat. It still drives so well, even for a 4-door, heavy car. But I can't, so adios BMW.
Old 02-04-15, 04:22 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

put a 1uz in the E39 lol
Old 02-04-15, 06:08 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

If you want the German driving experience + Lexus-like reliability, buy a 996 Turbo 911 Problem solved. Now when stuff DOES break... That changes it a bit.
Old 02-05-15, 09:08 PM
joekitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Khiladi
We still own the 2003 540 (150K miles), but will probably sell it this year as well, as its value just doesn't warrant the cost of maintenance and repairs. If I could wrench everything myself,
i must point out, why cant you wrench everything yourself? the e39 is not complicated to repair, just time consuming and the parts are on the more expensive side.

the problem is just that there's _always something_
Old 02-08-15, 08:19 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Talk about handling; this guy used front and rear crossmember and suspension, plus the engine from an SC400. So much win in this car! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMAy7Z6zys
Awesome video and awesome build! Just watched that and thanks to King Phillip! Shows what a little ingenuity and craftsmanship can do.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Not gonna happen. The bmw is more balanced in every aspect.
Agreed it would be tough to do OLT...But make the right changes to the SC, and you might be surprised how close to the BMW E39 the SC could handle like...But stock, no way.

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Right on! 1 thing to mention that makes the SC seems (not fact) that it doesn't handle sportily is its low power. If you make it fast & powerful, then it'll be more quickly responsive to handling. Good handling isn't the same as power issue, but they're related and support each other.
Agreed Steve...More power to weight ratio will help.

I am about to make some significant changes to the Rack, and to the front and rear suspension in my Twin Turbo V8 Project, so, let's see how it drives afterwards...

Ryan
Old 02-09-15, 09:23 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The video is awesome!!!
Add power, firm up suspension and you got a go cart!!

Quick Reply: can an SC be made to handle like a bmw e39....?