SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

can an SC be made to handle like a bmw e39....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-15, 06:58 PM
joekitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default can an SC be made to handle like a bmw e39....?

i'm a huge fan of the dynamics of the e39 5-series, but good god they're practically rolling project cars! you can make them much more reliable but it requires expensive aftermarket parts like all aluminum welded cooling system components and urethane bushings...

as a more reliable alternative, the sc300/400

but is getting up to e39 driving dynamics even possible? that sublime combo of smooth ride and tight handling with good feedback...
Old 01-30-15, 07:41 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, you can get closer with poly bushings, and an LSD, but you'll typically lose the smoothness of the SC ride with the more aftermarket suspension components you have.

I hated/Loved my E39, I was constantly replacing control arm bushings and cooling system components. I swear that car was constantly trying to fall apart.
Old 01-30-15, 08:02 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never driven a BMW hard enough to speak to its handling, but I always feel that my SC handles like a giant go-kart, then think to myself that a BMW still probably handles 10 times better.

Sway bars, proper coilover setup, and proper alignment will help to improve your handling
Old 01-30-15, 08:23 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I owned an e46 6spd/m with eibachs and hr springs, it handled good, but not great like it could have had. I felt like it when I installed the suspension it was a very small improvement over stock, that was disssapointment.
I bet with different suspension it would have been even better handling. I would probably say that's the better handling car than sc, BUT with potent supra aftermarket components for our cars suspension will be very close.
I would have to say Iove my lexus all around, I couldn't say that about the bimmer., even though I liked the way it drove, I chose to buy my stock sc400 when the bimmer was totaled and I'm still in love!!!
Old 01-30-15, 08:49 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel like I'm missing a huge chunk of my life because I've never driven a BMW ever. I am so intrigued reading how people describe the handling dynamics of BMW's.

Although with my SC, I've done some really incredible stunts that I didn't even know it can do or handle. I don't really drive that fast but I do drive really hard though. I still have stock bushings, almost replaced them but found out they were still good. I have poly bushings for the steering rack. I have LSD from a Toyota Supra 5 speed. I have Daizen sway bars and Tein Type Flex coilovers with EDFC. I have a good amount of camber with 10" and 11.5" wide wheels, front and rear.

To be honest, I'm very satisfied with the way mine handles. I don't get that "drives like a whale" feeling driving it. I do take caution driving it in those 360º freeway entrance, but that's only because my front wheels sit flush to the fenders, and hits it when doing those kind of turns, and also slow down for dips on the freeway since the Teins are really really soft.
Old 01-30-15, 08:56 PM
joekitch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I feel like I'm missing a huge chunk of my life because I've never driven a BMW ever. I am so intrigued reading how people describe the handling dynamics of BMW's.
do yourself a favor and drive an e46 3-series and an e39 5-series, make sure you drive one with the sport package

you can occasionally find them at dealers that are probably near you. just go on an extended (15-20 minute) test drive and take some hard corners, get a feel for it

you'll see why people put up with the nightmarish maintenance
Old 01-30-15, 08:58 PM
joekitch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eknine9
I hated/Loved my E39, I was constantly replacing control arm bushings and cooling system components. I swear that car was constantly trying to fall apart.
\

so be fair, you can use polyflex bushings in place of the normal rubber ones, they basically last 200k miles, and as long as you use enough copper anti-sieze when you first install them they'll never squeak
also, for $1500 you can get a super beefy upgraded cooling system from zionsville that will also last 200k.
also replace the really irksome CCV with an oil catch can that lasts forever
its just an issue of cost an effort.
Old 01-30-15, 09:03 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

I've been seriously considering an E46 as my next car after buying our GX, I can always sell it if it becomes such a nightmare. I just really really wanna experience owning one. It might be a stop over for me before moving up to an SC430 or a GS430. (Lexus guy by heart)
Old 01-30-15, 09:57 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW's are just a German chevy & the Iraqi's use them for car bombs! LOL. I currently have a 325I that I have to get back to working on after I'm done with my SC as it fell apart faster than I could keep up with it, M3 drive train & handling package, Parts are cheaper for it & more aftermarket parts are available than the SC, but it doesn't compare in quality to the SC. It's quick tho.
Old 01-30-15, 10:05 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned an e30, e46, and an e65 BMW and the one thing is that BMW's do handle like a dream!!! Such great driving cars but the thing that does get you is the maintenance!!! My last BMW e65 was a maintenance nightmare!!!

If you plan on getting a BMW you are better off just leading one that way you don't get stuck with the long term maintenance costs that go with them!

They are beautiful cars!
Old 01-31-15, 11:16 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had plans to help my car's handling - urethane bushings, bigger sway bars, springs....

But after I had Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires installed, it corners so hard I dropped the plans for the other stuff.
Old 01-31-15, 12:28 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

my dad is a private car dealer that sells a ton of cars to europe so i've driven quite a few cars of his. R35 GTR, M3 E92, Audi S4, Lexus GS F sport and a Porsche Carrera S to name a few. i've also driven my friends E30, and someone elses E46 and my SC doesn't feel like a boat at all like some people say it is. i have megan EZ street coilovers, so they're not even stiff or anything, Dunlop Direzza tires that are only 225 and stretched, and a strut brace up front and the car handles amazingly. it's really a confidence booster which is what i feel a car should do. it should help you push it and not hold you back. The SC is one of my favorite cars i've ever driven, besides of course an R35. the pull on that is like riding an explosion.
Old 01-31-15, 01:48 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
my dad is a private car dealer that sells a ton of cars to europe so i've driven quite a few cars of his. R35 GTR, M3 E92, Audi S4, Lexus GS F sport and a Porsche Carrera S to name a few. i've also driven my friends E30, and someone elses E46 and my SC doesn't feel like a boat at all like some people say it is. i have megan EZ street coilovers, so they're not even stiff or anything, Dunlop Direzza tires that are only 225 and stretched, and a strut brace up front and the car handles amazingly. it's really a confidence booster which is what i feel a car should do. it should help you push it and not hold you back. The SC is one of my favorite cars i've ever driven, besides of course an R35. the pull on that is like riding an explosion.
Take everything with a grain of salt that you read here. Also keep in mind half of this forum (no offense, but it's not what it was ten years ago) is filled with people driving SCs that are in DIRE need of serious maintenance, so they have no clue what these cars are capable of or how they drive when you put in the work and money into them.

Too many teenagers or people with nothing but hopes and dreams will come on here and badmouth SCs because they bought a car for $2k and expected something great out of it haha.
Old 01-31-15, 02:05 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Talk about handling; this guy used front and rear crossmember and suspension, plus the engine from an SC400. So much win in this car! LOL

Old 01-31-15, 02:13 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Have to totally agree that a large investment to transform these luxury coupes to a respectable driver is required. But, you do end up with a ride totally different from stock.

So far, for my '92 a new steering rack, replaced LCA bushings, Tein Coil Overs, lowered, and 19s with Falken tires is a completely different feel. Great on smooth roads and turns are crisp but if you find a "wash board" road it makes for a rough experience.

Not sure comparing one car to another is a fair assessment as after market options, cost, and capabilities vary so much. In any case, lots of choices and makes for a fun result......

Quick Reply: can an SC be made to handle like a bmw e39....?