SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

misc. interior cleanup questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 01:21 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default misc. interior cleanup questions

I updated my "build" thread with this interior pic today and it reminded me of a few minor things I've been meaning to ask about, in case anyone has tips.

1) The little dark spot on the center console portion of the transmission tunnel, right next to the cup holder. It's probably magic marker or something. Any suggestions for good chemicals to clean it up, or perhaps a touch-up color to cover it? (Probably one of the SEM colors often used on the interior.) I always forget about it because it's on the side I rarely see...

2) The top/center of the glove box has that bit that isn't folded in all the way, right by the latch. I need to figure out some sort of adhesive that will hold that amount of tension at the fold. Would it be better to try and unfasten the whole top seam and re-adhere it all at once?

3) Not visible in the picture: How do you clean the caked on grime in between the rubber folds of the turn signal and windshield wiper stalks' boots, without destroying them in the process?
Old 01-28-15, 01:54 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Suggestion: I would rid that black ignition ring trim and get one that matches. you can also tighten up your seat nets, I can see the drivers side is sagging a little bit. It would make your interior look a little more "new".

I know it's not a good idea, but when I had some stains that weren't coming off the interior pieces, I used purple power degreaser, but I don't recommend that. Just takes patience and a lil' elbow grease.
Old 01-28-15, 02:50 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Dampen a spot of microfiber with rubbing alcohol diluted in water and rub at it gently to see if it comes up. If not, try again with less dilution.

2. Dunno

3. I use meguiars interior cleaner with a microfiber and keep going at it, that kind of grime comes up like you fall asleep, slowly, and then all at once.
Old 01-28-15, 03:18 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Suggestion: I would rid that black ignition ring trim and get one that matches. you can also tighten up your seat nets, I can see the drivers side is sagging a little bit. It would make your interior look a little more "new".
Well... I have the original ignition ring, but I much prefer the black one. It breaks up the sea of similar colors. (Which is also why I dislike all-black interiors. Gotta have contrast.) Best $3 interior upgrade possible, as far as I'm concerned. Regarding the nets, the driver's side is tightened up already. I think you're seeing the excess cord hanging down in that picture, not baggy netting. I leave the passenger one loose so I can put my fold-up sun shade in it during warmer weather. I have lace locks on the cord loops for both so I can keep them as tight or loose as I want.

I know it's not a good idea, but when I had some stains that weren't coming off the interior pieces, I used purple power degreaser, but I don't recommend that. Just takes patience and a lil' elbow grease.
Originally Posted by eknine9
1. Dampen a spot of microfiber with rubbing alcohol diluted in water and rub at it gently to see if it comes up. If not, try again with less dilution.
Like SC400slide, I tend to use degreaser for anything and everything. Rubbing alcohol sounds like a good idea. I don't think I have any lying around the house for a quick test... Would diluted acetone work similarly, or would that be too risky on plastics?

3. I use meguiars interior cleaner with a microfiber and keep going at it, that kind of grime comes up like you fall asleep, slowly, and then all at once.
Thanks, I'll add that to my shopping list. Is there anything special about the Meguiars formula that you prefer over others? I've tried scrubbing away with Armorall and a few automotive cleaners with no luck.
Old 01-28-15, 07:02 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use acetone, it is risky as it may discolor the paint on the plastic.
I mainly like the meguiars formula because it doesn't leave a shiny sheen on anything and not much of it is required to pull dirt off of interior bits. I detailed cars on the side for the past two years and I really hated dealing with that grime on the windshield wiper/headlight stalks that's inevitably on every car, because it takes a good bit of elbow grease. There are certainly better products out there, but Meguiars was the best you can buy in an autoparts store. Other than that you'd want to be ordering stuff online and spending more and that's not really necessary when the meguiars will pull this stuff off.

Last edited by eknine9; 01-28-15 at 07:03 PM. Reason: reasons
Old 01-28-15, 07:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eknine9
I wouldn't use acetone, it is risky as it may discolor the paint on the plastic.
I was actually outside trying acetone and windex when you wrote that, as I looked up various options and saw that acetone is commonly recommended as an alternate approach to rubbing alcohol for that sort of thing. As are bleach, baking soda and toothpaste, lemon, etc. Neither made a bit of difference, however. I started with small dabs and the center console's vinyl seemed good and color safe.

I detailed cars on the side for the past two years and I really hated dealing with that grime on the windshield wiper/headlight stalks that's inevitably on every car, because it takes a good bit of elbow grease.
Good to have the trade secret, I'll definitely pick some up.

Since I was making no progress on the dark blotch, I took a closer look at the glove box and decided to unscrew the backing plate. With the padded front cover removed, I can see what's actually going on and am amazed it's not a more common problem, given the design.

See how the foam is pulling away from the plastic around the latch? It looks like they just hot glued it on and expected that tiny little lip of extra foam to hold solid around the beveled tips of the plastic. I don't see any other options for pulling it in tight, so I'm trying some epoxy and hoping it'll grip the foam and plastic -- two of the most difficult materials to adhere anything to. It's drying right now with some makeshift clamps. I'll report back if it works... With such a weak point in the design, I've got to think a lot of people will be needing to figure out the same fix before too long, much like the window trim cracks.
Old 01-28-15, 08:32 PM
ifr2lax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do NOT use denatured alcohol..!

Be very careful...I tried DENATURED alcohol ETHANOL, on a small, semi-gloss plastic console surface...WRONG!!! It melted the finish....

Think its safe to say that RUBBING alcohol, ISOPROPYL, is very mild in comparison, but even then always test it somewhere inconspicuous...goes for any cleaning agents...

ACETONE is also pretty aggressive with plastic.

Cleaning grease, oil etc. spots and other stains off finished PLASTIC can be pretty hard to deal with.

FWIW was just reading the directions on a can of DENATURED and it says it is good for cleaning GLASS WINDOWS....(not plastic lens!!!). I would stay away from plastic.

Pete
Old 01-28-15, 11:23 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

as long as you dont leave the acetone on the plastic for a while it should be fine, tiny dab and rub it on quick and clean it off quicker. i melted some plastic in my xb with acetone once, not fun.
Old 01-28-15, 11:27 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldManTan
as long as you dont leave the acetone on the plastic for a while it should be fine, tiny dab and rub it on quick and clean it off quicker. i melted some plastic in my xb with acetone once, not fun.
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I had a cup of water and paper towels nearby just to be safe. The acetone (and Windex) didn't appear to have any effect whatsoever, though. Maybe I'll just put a band-aid over the mark... I've got lots more bullet hole stickers.
Old 01-29-15, 05:33 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your dash airbag has a slightly different color, Is that common? I thought the other day mine had been replaced.
Old 01-29-15, 05:57 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

T2d2, I really like the look of the painted dash bezel. How did you handle the flasher, climate control and volume buttons? Did you replace them or paint them?
Old 01-29-15, 07:21 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ems
I see your dash airbag has a slightly different color, Is that common? I thought the other day mine had been replaced.
I assumed it's just different materials fading differently from years in the sun. The car spent at least it's first eight years in Houston. But, I know it was in a side accident in its early years, so maybe the airbag deployed and has been replaced.

Originally Posted by Bankswood
T2d2, I really like the look of the painted dash bezel. How did you handle the flasher, climate control and volume buttons? Did you replace them or paint them?
The only part I refinished was the wood trim. All the controls on the center console were left the original color. I really think the black ignition ring brings the surrounding pieces to life, though, so maybe that's throwing off your perception? Color-wise, the center console trim ties to the steering wheel and upper dash, while the ignition ring ties to the inner console and vents. Without it, there's an imbalance to the black elements.
Old 01-29-15, 08:26 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

The glove box is patched up and put back together. I'd say it's about 50% better than before. Maybe I could have pulled the foam in tighter to the latch with a ratcheting strap while the epoxy cured... If the fix holds up, it should be enough to fool the eye at least. If it doesn't, I may just try designing my own cover rather than replacing it with a used one, since I have no faith in the longevity of the original design now that I've seen the innards.

Keeping the foam and plastic pressed together while the epoxy cures.

Still bubbled out a bit, but much less than before and the epoxy appears to be holding ... for now.

Not perfect, but enough of an improvement to not be immediately noticeable.
Old 01-29-15, 10:03 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
I assumed it's just different materials fading differently from years in the sun. The car spent at least it's first eight years in Houston. But, I know it was in a side accident in its early years, so maybe the airbag deployed and has been replaced.

The only part I refinished was the wood trim. All the controls on the center console were left the original color. I really think the black ignition ring brings the surrounding pieces to life, though, so maybe that's throwing off your perception? Color-wise, the center console trim ties to the steering wheel and upper dash, while the ignition ring ties to the inner console and vents. Without it, there's an imbalance to the black elements.
Sorry I meant to say the surround trim around the climate control, radio, and shifter.
Old 01-29-15, 10:48 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Sorry I meant to say the surround trim around the climate control, radio, and shifter.
I think we're saying the same thing. That's all original, as far as I know.

Quick Reply: misc. interior cleanup questions