SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

is this a decent price on exhaust work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 04:00 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default is this a decent price on exhaust work?

I already have axleback mufflers and a not-yet-installed downstream y-pipe for my SC400. I took it to an exhaust shop today to see about getting the rest of it done up, i.e. replacing the center resonator with a 2.5" straight pipe after the cats and first y-pipe, connecting up to my new 2.5" inlet to dual 2.25" outlet y-pipe, and then either tied into the two resonators before the mufflers or replacing them altogether with 2.25" to the axlebacks.

The tech felt it would be best to replace all the narrow tubing from the second y-pipe on back to the axlebacks, as many here recommend. I'm still a bit fearful of that being too loud, but there's only one way to find out... It's already a lot louder than stock with the expanded intake, removed intake resonator, and M2 exhaust. But no one buys a V8 to be quiet.

I've never had exhaust work done before, so I don't know what's considered a normal price for that sort of thing. Obviously, costs vary somewhat by area. The quote was $256, which breaks down to $140 labor (2 hrs), $70 tubing, $20 flanges, $20 shop fees / misc., $6 heat shield clamps (optional, for current vibrations). That's for compression bending, not mandrel.

There's not anything excessive in there, so I'm guessing it's reasonable. The guy seems pretty knowledgeable and is well reviewed.
Old 01-26-15, 04:05 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Pretty fair price to me.....you do know that it will be aluminized steel piping most likely
Old 01-26-15, 04:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Damn, I forgot to ask about that. I assumed stainless steel. I'm not sure I could tell the two apart at a glance, but the stuff he had in stock along the wall all looked like stainless.
Old 01-26-15, 04:19 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You can tell a huge difference....for what you are doing aluminized steel is fine...

Aluminized steel exhaust has a thin wall and looks like aluminum...ie dull silver color....very easy to bend and flare

Stainless steel has a thicker wall and looks polished....it is also very difficult to bend stainless steel....usually you just buy mandrel bent pieces....
Old 01-26-15, 04:24 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a decent price for that work...and you can bet is it not stainless steel he quoted you for since its a lot more expensive for that.

You will be very happy with the sound difference!
Old 01-26-15, 04:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

This stuff sure looked polished. He's got all the heavy duty bending equipment... He figured two 7' sticks ($35 ea) for the dual 2.25" and averaging the extra material out with grabbing a 2.5" scrap from his pile on hand, so I would assume what he's got there is the same material as what he would order. Hopefully it's stainless, otherwise I could have gone with an aluminized steel y-pipe that would have fit a bit easier.
Old 02-04-15, 12:39 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

You guys were right, the quote was for aluminized steel. Stainless would add $50-70 to the cost plus a bit more in labor, although he did say he has a stick of 2.5" stainless lying around that would be perfect for the center section and wouldn't need bending. He didn't think it makes much difference one way or the other, though. I'll be going ahead with the work in the next few days. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it!

I don't know if it'll be quite this aggressive, or if I even want it to, but wow:

Old 02-04-15, 01:49 PM
King700se
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was quoted $250 to straight pipe mine staring from in front of the middle resonator. Exhaust shop I took it to is a one man show. He owns the shop and does all the work himself. He had never done an SC before mine and he had to come up with everything on the fly. I had taken my mufflers and mid pipe off months before and they had gotten damaged. So he had nothing to go off of when he gave me the quote. Long story short, i ended up taking it to him and i couldn't be happier. Your quote is pretty reasonable. You wouldn't believe how much difference that center resonator makes with the exhaust note. I had it straight piped from the resonator back then took it back to him a week later and had him cut that last resonator out and it made a huge difference.
Old 02-04-15, 03:02 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I'm definitely looking forward to removing the center resonator. It's just the rear resonators that I'm a bit nervous about the effect of. Of course, they're also on the narrowest section of piping, so it makes sense to eliminate them.
Old 02-04-15, 10:25 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Would removing the resonator effect the car with passing smog and is this just for the Sc400?
Old 02-04-15, 10:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Equalizir
Would removing the resonator effect the car with passing smog and is this just for the Sc400?
I'm pretty sure the resonators are solely for noise, not emissions, although the CA spec models have a sub-cat in place of the center resonator. That confused the heck out of me for awhile, with lots of conflicting references to what it is.

I don't know if the SC300's setup differs and how.
Old 02-04-15, 10:33 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Equalizir
The resonator is basically Just a small muffler to help suppress noise & not part of the emission system.
Old 02-05-15, 04:46 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

It is my next upgrade. We are recovering from a huge Snow Storm. Only been out to make necessary errands. Shop Quoted me $79 just for simple resonator deletes. But I'm going with the 2.5" Stainless Steel from the cats back, to my Borla's. All resos deleted.

Make a quick exhaust video when you're done, as I will do. My exhaust note now is very sexy, but a quiet rumble at idle. Has a deep note from idle to like 4k Rpms. But ordinary folk may still not realize this foreign car has a potent V8 under the hood. That is why I am going louder. I want it obvious what's under the hood. Plus, nothing like pulling up next to a Mustang or something comparable, with an aggressive Japanese V8 humming. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Good stuff man.
Old 02-05-15, 07:06 AM
King700se
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I'm definitely looking forward to removing the center resonator. It's just the rear resonators that I'm a bit nervous about the effect of. Of course, they're also on the narrowest section of piping, so it makes sense to eliminate them.

get them all outta there

....weight reduction also! haha
Old 02-05-15, 09:07 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Make a quick exhaust video when you're done
I've never made or posted a video, not sure if I have the means to.

Originally Posted by King700se
get them all outta there

....weight reduction also! haha
I'm hoping if I bring my scale along, I can get the guy to weigh the stuff before putting it on the car. That way, I can compare it to what was taken off and contribute more weight reduction numbers for others. Axleback mufflers reduced nearly 10 lbs. I'm hoping for that much or more again, but we'll see.

Quick Reply: is this a decent price on exhaust work?