SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

20% Tint :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 10:46 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20% on sides 5% on the rears and back glass i had my windshield tinted but its illegal here in va along with the 20% but its how i bought it so im taking chances.
Old 01-26-15, 11:56 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at 15% all around, which is illegal here, been rocking it for three years, I get pulled over a lot, but only one cop has ever commented on my tint, and he didn't give me a ticket or warning for it.
Old 01-27-15, 12:39 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eknine9
I'm at 15% all around, which is illegal here, been rocking it for three years, I get pulled over a lot, but only one cop has ever commented on my tint, and he didn't give me a ticket or warning for it.

You have your WS 15%??

Originally Posted by Equalizir
Being in Vegas it's almost a necessity to get the windows tinted. My interior and exterior are black but I plan on going 20% on the back windows and the two front windows 35% which is whats legal here. I just don't like peeps being able to look into my ride.
They'll see you with 35%. Get 20%. Really isn't as dark as I thought. Almost wished I did 15%.

Last edited by SC400Zulu; 01-27-15 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 10:19 PM
chason
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legal schmegal. 35% is the darkest you can go in Houston. I've been at 7% sides and rear for like 7 years, with only the tint strip in the front (you still can't see anything through the windshield from the outside because the sides are so dark).

The only time I've ever been messed with about the tint is when I got pulled over for my registration not matching my stickers, because I hadn't put it on the car yet.

It took a few weeks to get used to, but it's not a drivability issue for me. Maybe when I get old and my eyes start going bad
Old 01-27-15, 10:27 PM
chason
Rookie

Oh, yeah, I want to see that 15% windshield. I don't see too many tinted windshields around here.

AND... that tint looks good! So much better. I'm surprised you got it done that quick, SC400Zulu
Old 01-27-15, 10:43 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
You have your WS 15%??
Not my windshield, just front windows, rear windshield, and rear quarter windows. Sorry I wasn't too clear.
Old 01-27-15, 11:59 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chason
Oh, yeah, I want to see that 15% windshield. I don't see too many tinted windshields around here.

AND... that tint looks good! So much better. I'm surprised you got it done that quick, SC400Zulu
I would never go below 35% for the WS. I MIGHT go 40%. Missed NY appointment today, so will try to reschedule for this week.

And I would have gotten the tint a long time ago. I was being lazy in finding a place and deciding what % to go with.

I need to get new pads tomorrow. I can tell that with good pads, I'd be satisfied with the stopping power. I'm guessing the brembo rotors help. They're pretty big. Supra calipers are like $600 on eBay. I think I'd rather get an LSD before the bbk.
Old 01-28-15, 02:11 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Windshield almost done!

Done.

Last edited by SC400Zulu; 01-28-15 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 09:00 AM
chason
Rookie

Wow, I'm really not used to tinted windshields. Everyone around here just tints the sides as far as I know. Your front is as dark as mine from the outside. Looks good

I'd love to see more pictures from different angles, in the sunlight, etc.
Old 01-29-15, 10:54 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dark tinted windshield and 8000K HID kit is a recipe for disaster. I have 4300K the brightest HID's installed and moderate to dark tint on my side windows. I have really good vision but twice neglected to see a human with dark clothing in the crosswalk of a street I was turning onto until the last minute. This is on a lit city street. What could have happened is unthinkable. Luckily I saw them at the last minute. You just don't know how important this is until it's too late usually. ZULU sorry to keep bugging you on this but this is crucial stuff man. You have no idea what you are missing until you fix it. I went through the same learning process. I'm sure you believe you can see just fine. The tinted windshield with dull, blue HID's has so much proven potential for disaster. Please think about this seriously.

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-15, 11:01 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Dark tinted windshield and 8000K HID kit is a recipe for disaster. I have 4300K the brightest HID's installed and moderate to dark tint on my side windows. I have really good vision but twice neglected to see a human with dark clothing in the crosswalk of a street I was turning onto until the last minute. This is on a lit city street. What could have happened is unthinkable. Luckily I saw them at the last minute. You just don't know how important this is until it's too late usually. ZULU sorry to keep bugging you on this but this is crucial stuff man. You have no idea what you are missing until you fix it. I went through the same learning process. I'm sure you believe you can see just fine. The tinted windshield with dull, blue HID's has so much proven potential for disaster. Please think about this seriously.

Good Luck!
I used to have my windshield tinted on my 7 series and Studiogeek you are so correct...it does pose a huge safety problem at night so I ended up having it removed..

20% Tint :)-bmwgarage.jpg

I do have to say that tinted windshields do look amazing and give the car that even better look so if you decide on keeping it tinted just be aware that it is a safety issue and it will also attract a lot of attention from Law Enforcement so be prepared to get pulled over on a regular basis.
Old 01-29-15, 02:04 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Glad to hear other people echoing my concerns about visibility through tint. However, wouldn't side window tint be nearly as bad when turning into a crosswalk or looking over your shoulder to see if the adjacent lane is clear? I've noticed that a lot of people with tint drive with their windows down. Coincidence?
Old 01-29-15, 02:55 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
Glad to hear other people echoing my concerns about visibility through tint. However, wouldn't side window tint be nearly as bad when turning into a crosswalk or looking over your shoulder to see if the adjacent lane is clear? I've noticed that a lot of people with tint drive with their windows down. Coincidence?
It was the side window that prevented me from seeing them. Also my 8000K HID's were at fault. I drove with my windows down as well when turning etc. until I reduced my tint and lowered my HID temperature. Having the same visibility issues on my windshield would be ridiculously dangerous to me. I couldn't imagine......
Old 01-29-15, 03:10 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

My 8k are a very light blue. It is listed as Crystal White. Way better than stock visibility. When I'm around a dark street, my high beams light up all of what I couldn't see clearly. My windshield is 35% and it is not dark from the inside. At night, I see a bit better because the glare isn't as bad.

Also, I'm in murder capital Chicago. I got 're-routed by 4 cops, passed a few, haven't been bothered yet. As long as I drive properly, I'm decent. Not saying I won't get pulled over, but when I do, I'll say I bought it like this from down south.

Guys, I will get 4300 for the fogs and not use my 12ks.

I have no side visibility problems at night. I always use my mirrors and do a quick look around when changing lanes. Mind you, I can't roll my Windows down until Monday. Tint rules. Never needed to roll my Windows down for visibility. That's from my personal experience. If visibility was an issue, I would have gon 35% sides and back, 40-42% front. But I'm just fine and looking good. However, I will change my HBs to bright white bulbs and my dogs will be 4300-5000k.
Old 01-29-15, 04:45 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

If you feel like you can see well, thats cool but you can't argue with science. If you decrease lumens and filter light methodically there is a threshold whereby some visible things become invisible from inside your car (person in dark clothing). With decreased lumens and dark, light filtration, you will miss some things that would have been visible with increased lumens and no filtration.
I'm not saying you can't see, i'm saying you cannot see nearly as well.
Ultimately it's your choice of course.

Quick Reply: 20% Tint :)