SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 01:09 PM
King700se
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues

Is it just me or are there others on the forum that have an SC with almost zero electrical issues when it comes to their interior. I got a 93 SC4 i picked up a few months back. Just rolled over 109k. EVERYTHING electrical still works on this thing. Absolutely zero issues with windows, power mirrors, climate display, radio display, dash lights, power seats. Everything is still in working order. I am very surprised and satisfied with these damn cars. Issues or not, they really dont make them like they used to. Only minor interior issue I have, and that these cars are known for, the crack around the center vents on the dash. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a car that was very well taken care of and rarely driven

...now im gonna go knock on wood for the next hour so i don't jinx myself
Old 01-15-15, 01:30 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, I never look at my speedometer anyway.
Old 01-15-15, 01:31 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by King700se
Is it just me or are there others on the forum that have an SC with almost zero electrical issues when it comes to their interior. I got a 93 SC4 i picked up a few months back. Just rolled over 109k. EVERYTHING electrical still works on this thing. Absolutely zero issues with windows, power mirrors, climate display, radio display, dash lights, power seats. Everything is still in working order. I am very surprised and satisfied with these damn cars. Issues or not, they really dont make them like they used to. Only minor interior issue I have, and that these cars are known for, the crack around the center vents on the dash. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a car that was very well taken care of and rarely driven

...now im gonna go knock on wood for the next hour so i don't jinx myself
Expect issues down the line with that model year.

Funny you made this thread. I keep marveling at how my 98 has no electrical issues. Heated seats are super warm, 2 stave sun roof works perfectly, climate control flawless, snow setting, seats, all work as they should. Radio went out yesterday, but I blame the extreme cold. Luckily it was the factory radio and I'm in need of an upgrade anyway.

Bought my 98 with 99,995 Miles in it with all service records. Now has 100,400 miles on it.
Old 01-15-15, 01:39 PM
ems
Lead Lap

knock on it!
Old 01-15-15, 02:04 PM
King700se
Rookie

Originally Posted by ems

knock on it!

hahaha. my knuckles are red from knocking on my desk
Old 01-15-15, 03:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Not the most descriptive thread title, going to change it for you.
mine only has had 1 cluster bulb go out, the cracked center vent, and I think my seat doesn't work for up and down anymore. not perfect but better than all the other SC's I've had.
Old 01-15-15, 03:34 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just got two dark needles on my gauges, and my LCD Climate was out but with the Popformane touchscreen CC it doesn't matter. Everything else in my car works well.
Old 01-15-15, 04:32 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Bought my 98 with 99,995 Miles in it with all service records. Now has 100,400 miles on it.
Did you cry after driving it that fifth mile?

My speedo/tach needles were out, the HVAC LCD had bled till it could bleed no more, but steering wheel tilt and telescoping didn't work, seat memory didn't work, and the passenger seat tilt/recline didn't work. (Plus stereo stuff, attributable to who the hell knows what the previous owner was thinking.)

I picked up a couple GS needles off of eBay that look to have been better built than the early SC ones -- fingers crossed that's why later SCs seem to have fewer problems with needle burnout. Tanin fixed up the HVAC LCD. The DIY worm gear drive fix got my steering wheel tilt motor working, but I've had less luck with the telescoping motor; and the seat/wheel memory supposedly doesn't work when any of its components don't work... The pass. seat tilt turned out to be a melted plastic toggle on the control switch. Easy fix once I had worked backward to the least likely seeming culprit.
Old 01-15-15, 05:27 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

My 95 SC400...don't get me started. Cluster bulbs and needles, window, seat up/down, HVAC LCD, just repaired my tilt steering last year when I took the cluster out and the steeriing wheel got stuck...

My 92 SC400 however, no issues interior electrical-wise at all. Cluster is 100%, all switches and levers work like new, the ONLY thing barely worth mentioning is the two bulbs that are burnt out behind the HVAC LCD display. One still works, so I can still read it...that's literally it. Mine was abused previously, though. Tranny was rebuilt before 140k...
Old 01-15-15, 05:40 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 291 Posts
Default No Problems

I've had the Bullet most of its life and this is the only issue I've had

Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues-pict0615.jpg

The cluster gauge
it's just too much hassle to replace, especially here in Calif. I've actually never had to make a repair on anything. It just keeps running (the door hinge broke) these are the heaviest doors. The drive train is bullet proof. The light bulb in my glove compartment still works! everything!

I have dumped the 2 ton seats & put in some light weights.
Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues-pict0660-2-.jpg

I recommend this to everyone. You will notice the difference in the ride. the Lexus seats are probably really shot by now anyway
I think when guys do stuff like tranny swaps, rear ends, or have been hit, thats when all these other issues start popping up. Here in Calif we can't do any engine mods, maybe thats why I haven't had any of these issues.
_________The Purple Bullet is priceless to me
Old 01-15-15, 06:08 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eknine9
I've just got two dark needles on my gauges, and my LCD Climate was out but with the Popformane touchscreen CC it doesn't matter. Everything else in my car works well.
Bro, you have the Popformance installed? If so, please pm me. Might as well get this as well as my din upgrade. Thanks in advance brodi.

Originally Posted by t2d2

My speedo/tach needles were out, the HVAC LCD had bled till it could bleed no more, but steering wheel tilt and telescoping didn't work, seat memory didn't work, and the passenger seat tilt/recline didn't work. (Plus stereo stuff, attributable to who the hell knows what the previous owner was thinking.)

I picked up a couple GS needles off of eBay that look to have been better built than the early SC ones -- fingers crossed that's why later SCs seem to have fewer problems with needle burnout. Tanin fixed up the HVAC LCD. The DIY worm gear drive fix got my steering wheel tilt motor working, but I've had less luck with the telescoping motor; and the seat/wheel memory supposedly doesn't work when any of its components don't work... The pass. seat tilt turned out to be a melted plastic toggle on the control switch. Easy fix once I had worked backward to the least likely seeming culprit.
Like a true car guy, I did. I was happy to be under 100 @ 16 yrs old. Hurt my heart. If it's any consolation, my sister bought her 2008 Maxima fully loaded for $8500 cash, yet has over 125k miles lol. I'm still short like 60k miles.
Old 01-16-15, 01:08 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2

what year sc do you have and what did you have to do to the needles to get em to work. everyone just keeps saying I have to get 92/93
Old 01-16-15, 01:15 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I sent my cluster to Tanin and get the LED needles and backlight put in. It was the single $200 I have spent on this car. I didn't realize how depressing the cluster looked with the burnt out needle and ultra dim. Now it is bright white and brings the appearance back to this era. The needle is not like stock full length light tube, but has a different feel to it as it lit up the black background slightly.

Before I was looking at the shadow of the needle over the speed number at night. I got so used to it too, I'm sure you know what I'm mean if you drove like this long enough.
Old 01-16-15, 01:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
what year sc do you have and what did you have to do to the needles to get em to work. everyone just keeps saying I have to get 92/93
I'm told they're from a '93-96 GS300. They look exactly the same as the needles for my '94 SC400, but the build quality appears to be better on the back side, including the terminals. And, I've since read that the back side frailty is what causes these needles to fail. Those little cracks you see are the warning signs... Supposedly, you can extend the life by adding Silver Conductive Grease, which I believe is the same thing as CPU thermal paste, to the cracks if you catch them early enough. I'm not sure if that can rehabilitate already dead ones, but it might work on flickering fellas.

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Before I was looking at the shadow of the needle over the speed number at night. I got so used to it too, I'm sure you know what I'm mean if you drove like this long enough.
My initial trick was a little dab of white or yellow electrical tape on the tip of the burnt out needles. Just enough to be visible without adding much mass to throw off the weighting and calibration. I also drove without the tinted cover for awhile, to help see the needles, but that created some glare issues in certain lighting.
Old 01-16-15, 04:15 PM
chason
Rookie

1994 SC300, 166k miles, had it since 80k. My heater's never worked, my seat memory has never worked (or I don't know how to use it), and my needles go out sometimes, which is only a recent problem. I don't know if the heater is an electrical problem or not, haven't looked into it. I'm in Texas so I'm really only cold for a month...

Quick Reply: Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues