SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 07:47 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by chason
1994 SC300, 166k miles, had it since 80k. My heater's never worked, my seat memory has never worked (or I don't know how to use it), and my needles go out sometimes, which is only a recent problem. I don't know if the heater is an electrical problem or not, haven't looked into it. I'm in Texas so I'm really only cold for a month...
Probably the heater control valve.
Old 01-16-15, 09:25 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Lexus/Toyota quality and dependability guys, the only reason I buy!! 1 brand only loyalty!!!
Old 01-17-15, 09:27 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after 22 years my Nak amp broke
1 bulb ...after i hit the dash it worked again
middle backlight of climate controle is broken
every thing else still works ok after all those years

i fully agree with Lexxium about quality , although my 89 prelude was rock solid too for the 16 years i owned it
Old 01-17-15, 05:04 PM
XSixxX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny enough, my 93 SC4 is sitting at the moment, and I'm collecting parts until I sell my other car.
Mine has a few things, I'll be looking into soon as well:

ie. Puddle lights don't work when open, Map lights don't come on when doors are open. (No matter what setting they are on) Might need to just replace some lights in some instances. Can any of you recommend some HID interior lighting/License plate lighting upgrades?

Needles need to be upgraded/Fixed - They actually blipped the other day when I got in and started her. I got a chubby for a split second they were on. LOL

Oddly, the battery was dead today. Made sure my head unit was turned off, and my ipod plug wasn't touching anything metal just in case. Jumped it. We'll see..
Old 01-17-15, 08:54 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a few bulbs out in the SC3 but all buttons worked and functions normally. The SC4 is flawless, not a single thing wrong..
Old 01-17-15, 09:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Everything electric on my 1992 SC300 works, although the car has always been babied/garaged and only has 83k miles on it.

Only issues I've noticed is on hot days the rearview mirror will not go completely clear, its kind of half grey night mode. I just leave it in night mode during the summer, doesn't bother me. Only other issue is one of the backlights on the climate control burned out. Stereo sounds amazing still, it's better than the aftermarket stuff in my truck and my previous Cadillac.

Memory seats, I still haven't figured out how to use them, since I'm the only one who drives the car.
Old 01-19-15, 12:38 PM
Yohan84
Driver

Originally Posted by King700se
Is it just me or are there others on the forum that have an SC with almost zero electrical issues when it comes to their interior. I got a 93 SC4 i picked up a few months back. Just rolled over 109k. EVERYTHING electrical still works on this thing. Absolutely zero issues with windows, power mirrors, climate display, radio display, dash lights, power seats. Everything is still in working order. I am very surprised and satisfied with these damn cars. Issues or not, they really dont make them like they used to. Only minor interior issue I have, and that these cars are known for, the crack around the center vents on the dash. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a car that was very well taken care of and rarely driven

...now im gonna go knock on wood for the next hour so i don't jinx myself

consider yourself lucky. My Sc400 gauge cluster is all the way out and the temp gauge doesn't work only if you hit the dash lol.
Old 01-19-15, 01:31 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yohan84
consider yourself lucky. My Sc400 gauge cluster is all the way out and the temp gauge doesn't work only if you hit the dash lol.
As in the needle doesn't move? Mine doesn't move at all, is there a fix for that? besides tanin
Old 01-19-15, 02:05 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
As in the needle doesn't move? Mine doesn't move at all, is there a fix for that? besides tanin
If the needle doesn't move it probably will be the stepper motor inside the cluster. They aren't the cheapest to fix.
Old 01-19-15, 09:50 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Electrically My 96 SC 400 functioned fine when I bought it except amp was blown. Instrument panel has a couple bulbs out like Barbary's, & a little bleed on climate control screen. May tackle inst pnl one of these days, doesn't look to hard after I watched U tube vid on it as long as circuit board is ok. any thing else thanks to CL I've fixed & improved on as it disfunctioned. worse part about my car has been repair of worn suspension do to crappy Pa. roads. LOL!
Old 01-20-15, 07:18 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what causes things to go wrong but my right side window doesn't work anymore out of the blue. My power mirrors don't work. Tilt steering broke, but fixed that. And the car had a known audio problem when I bought it. So I replaced all the audio in the car, amp, speakers, head unit, sub, everything and all wires, and my audio randomly turns off when it wants to. It's pretty annoying. I think I might actually know the cause, narrowing it down to a bad negative battery terminal, and have a new one on the way. Other then that though the dash, climate control, shifter lights, and everything else works perfectly.

I love this car, but the cost on gas/low mpg, and general maintenance is making me think about getting something cheaper. Sadly. I got my CBR600, and that gets good mpg, but motorcycle maintenance isn't cheap either. At the time I really wanted a reliable SC, and it's held up, but now I just want a car that gets great MPG, and a fast motorcycle. Considering I've already got 7K in this car, and not much to show for it I'm probably going to just keep it.
Old 01-20-15, 05:25 PM
Yohan84
Driver

Originally Posted by ems
Yeah the needle does move but when I hit the dash it works fine. But I think it was from the other owner trying to fix the bulbs out and put the needles on wrong. I'm just going to go to tanin and get a whole new gauge cluster for the $349.
Old 01-20-15, 11:15 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is my cluster from Tanin
Attached Thumbnails Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues-cluster.jpg  
Old 01-21-15, 08:32 AM
King700se
Rookie

^^^^^^^ thats bada$$
Old 01-21-15, 09:05 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh so excited i called them yesterday for info! At first I was thinking Id do the repair myself, but why! Their prices are super good, and that stepper is the issue, so all will be mended.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?? SC with almost no electrical issues