SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Holy SCnow

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 08:18 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holy SCnow

Ok I will start off by saying I don't drive the Sc3 in the snow. but I did yesterday to transfer it to a buddys shop to get the coils put on.

My DD is rear wheel so im used to the feel of pushing a car through slick conditions. So I thought Id be safe by putting on some Blizzaks to transfer the car 3 miles through the city to the shop.
SO MUCH FUN!!! awh man! Its not even fair, I wished I gopro'd it.

But. I could never drive the car on a daily basis through the snow. Who here drives these things in the winter on this stuff and how do you cope with the madness.

No i dont have TRAC
Old 01-14-15, 09:50 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah It snowed down here real bad back in November and my normal 10 minute work commute was nearly 30 minutes... and not because of traffic.

An Open diff, stick-shift, no traction control, and summer tires made everything nearly impossible. This car needs an LSD so bad.
Old 01-14-15, 10:33 AM
ems
Lead Lap

I took the side streets to avoid any potholes that occur from ice freezing under tar and poppin chunks out, but it still took a while.
Old 01-14-15, 10:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The LSD will just ensure you hit whatever is in the lane next to you if you loose traction on the snow. best to creep at low speeds or not drive it at all. unless its summer I check the forecast before even thinking of using it these days. its possible to do but think of all the gunk you are throwing up on the undercarriage and if you live in the northwest its not worth it cause you will pay when its time to do suspension stuff everything will be locked together.
Old 01-14-15, 10:44 AM
ems
Lead Lap

It went yesterday, as the forecast for the next two weeks will be above freezing for us and that equates to a sloppy meltdown, and to minimise the amount of salt getting on the bodywork I took it over when the road was frozen. I most likely will not leave that shop till the snow is gone. but It will be painted at that point, so it should be protected from any residual grime. Its a Florida car and I want to keep it that way.. but Man it was a Fun drive!
Old 01-14-15, 11:39 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC is pretty fun in the snow as long as you have an undertray so snow doesn't pile up in the engine bay and you have an LSD. I drove two of mine in the snow.

Old 01-14-15, 12:02 PM
ems
Lead Lap

great pics!
Old 01-14-15, 03:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I drove my SC last year in the snow with my factory 18 inch LS430 wheels on to work and almost died like five times. It was pretty scary. It got sideways no matter how slow I went. There was two or three inches of snow.

I drove it once when I first bought it with the factory SC300 wheels on and it wasn't too bad though. I wouldn't do it again unless it was to mess around in empty parking lots.
Old 01-14-15, 03:43 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't drive my SC's in the snow at all. That's what the SUV's are for...
Old 01-14-15, 05:44 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

SC doesn't stand for Snow Coupe? BTW, OBEEWON, that's a nice snow plow you've got on the front of your car!
Old 01-14-15, 09:50 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Snow??? What's that? Never go near the stuff.....
Old 01-15-15, 05:04 AM
ems
Lead Lap

yeah yeah. Ill be heading out of this meltdown to LA this weekend to get some work in at club nokia. Finally some weather I can depend on. Whats the forecast for cali, Sun and Traffic Jams?
Old 01-15-15, 02:04 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
Ok I will start off by saying I don't drive the Sc3 in the snow. but I did yesterday to transfer it to a buddys shop to get the coils put on.

My DD is rear wheel so im used to the feel of pushing a car through slick conditions. So I thought Id be safe by putting on some Blizzaks to transfer the car 3 miles through the city to the shop.
SO MUCH FUN!!! awh man! Its not even fair, I wished I gopro'd it.

But. I could never drive the car on a daily basis through the snow. Who here drives these things in the winter on this stuff and how do you cope with the madness.

No i dont have TRAC
I'm in Chiraq, so imagine. Being my DD and delivery vehicle, I've been atop half inch of snow, while it snowed hard. Even with Trac on and a very light tap of the pedal, I get wheel spin. Hell, even on damp pavement I get wheel spin from the torque.

But getting back to the snow, fun, but dangerous and nerve racking in this congested city. I use Trac + Snow Switch when it gets bad. Anything less in bad snow would RIP the only 98 Sc400 in Chicago.

Last edited by SC400Zulu; 01-15-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 02:44 PM
ems
Lead Lap

The Lake effect snow is bad but you add in that wind and game over. I mix for the group Mint Condition and we've been in Chi for some nasty winter storms. Do they salt downtown there?
Old 01-15-15, 11:47 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

my second winter with my SC as my DD year round. i guess i've learned to drive it in these conditions, i've only been stuck once while delivering and it was in someone's unshoveled driveway. getting winter tires this weekend so it should definitely help, winters make an insane difference. last year i drove on 275s in the rear that had wires sticking out, this year brand new Dunlop Direzzas and it's not too shabby, but when it snows it's as expected. constantly sliding around, but make the most of it and just gotta keep your distance and keep your momentum going.

Quick Reply: Holy SCnow