SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

May be buying a SC 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 09:17 PM
3rdDrawer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May be buying a SC 400

Hey guys, long time forum user, aging Honda guy. I ran across a 93 SC400 on CL. 160k, looks to be in great shape, guy is asking a little over 3k.

Im tired of Hondas, well... i need a break or some variety. My 95 EJ civic is stock and mint and id like to be buried in it, i love it. But im getting old Gandalf and i need something nice while still having a bit of fun. The more i searching i do on this car the more excited im getting. I can see this car being my next Honda type love affair.

I had no idea these cars were so reliable. But before i go to look at this car can you guys tell me what i need to be on the look out for? Common leaks, quirks?

The engine and tranny seem cheap enough but are there any other parts that are out of the ordinary expensive? I am used to buying Honda OEM. I know SC's wont be as cake as a civic, but all things being as they are, are SC pretty serviceable? It wont be a daily driver so sitting a few days here and there is not a problem.

Thanks in advance guys. Ive had some quick hondas over the years but to this 37 year old the idea of loping around in a RWD V8 with heated seats and a quiet cabin is making me giddy. And the potential for speed is there if i want it. Ive lost my enthusiasm for cars lately, its nice to be excited again.

Last edited by 3rdDrawer; 01-13-15 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 09:44 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdDrawer
Hey guys, long time forum user, aging Honda guy. I ran across a 93 SC400 on CL. 160k, looks to be in great shape, guy is asking a little over 3k.

Im tired of Hondas, well... i need a break or some variety. My 95 EJ civic is stock and mint and id like to be buried in it, i love it. But im getting old Gandalf and i need something nice while still having a bit of fun. The more i searching i do on this car the more excited im getting. I can see this car being my next Honda type love affair.

I had no idea these cars were so reliable. But before i go to look at this car can you guys tell me what i need to be on the look out for? Common leaks, quirks?

The engine and tranny seem cheap enough but are there any other parts that are out of the ordinary expensive? I am used to buying Honda OEM. I know SC's wont be as cake as a civic, but all things being as they are, are SC pretty serviceable? It wont be a daily driver so sitting a few days here and there is not a problem.

Thanks in advance guys. Ive had some quick hondas over the years but to this 37 year old the idea of loping around in a RWD V8 with heated seats and a quiet cabin is making me giddy. And the potential for speed is there if i want it. Ive lost my enthusiasm for cars lately, its nice to be excited again.
Working on the SC400 will prove to be more difficult than the Civic. The SC300, not so much. The SC400's starter is nestled in the middle of the engine, so removing that is no easy task nor is it fun. Engine and tranny are very inexpensive to acquire, particularly the 1UZFE. I see perfectly good low-mileage 1UZ's and A340E trannies being given away...

Common leaks would be the Power steering lines and/or pump, which is located directly above the alternator, so once the PS system leaks, the alternator wont live for very long. No quirks, major, at least. The center vent is always cracked, as is the door panels and window trim, the climate control LCD usually is bleeding, and the cluster may have needles and bulbs that are burned out, but that's what the forum is there for. Good luck!
Old 01-14-15, 06:11 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

SC400 eat gas. They guzzle it by the gallon, so make sure you can afford premium gas all the time. Also, the easy stuff on Hondas like time belts and spark plugs and all that are a real pain on the 1UZ. Great motor, but time consuming to work on because they're so compact to fit in the cars. But its all worth it for that feeling you get when the V8 climbs into the power band
Old 01-14-15, 09:49 PM
3rdDrawer
Driver School Candidate

Ended up picking it up yesterday. SC400SLide, spot on. PS is leaking and the HVAC LCD is bleeding, temp gauge needle is out. Its a really nice car, i drove it around for a while and kept getting surprised by all the amenities i didn't know about. This car seems about 10 years ahead of its time. It feels like im driving a new car. Actually new cars aren't this nice.

It does have a couple squeeks and creaks i will get to when the weather turns, but im looking forward to learning this car. I'll post some pics when i get it cleaned up. Thanks again.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-15-15 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 03:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Congrats on your new SC400. Indeed it was ahead of its times. If it is well maintained , it will serve you well. SC400s with 300k miles are not uncommon. The secret really in any car is maintenance aside from being built as bulletproof .
Old 01-16-15, 10:40 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Congrats on your new SC400. Indeed it was ahead of its times. If it is well maintained , it will serve you well. SC400s with 300k miles are not uncommon. The secret really in any car is maintenance aside from being built as bulletproof .
Gerrb said it best!
Old 01-17-15, 04:12 PM
3rdDrawer
Driver School Candidate

Got to do a little poking around today. Turn out the PS pump is NOT leaking so good news there.

My low coolant light has blinked on a couple of times but the temp gauge has been steady. I am going to pick up some coolant tomorrow, but do i just top the reservoir off? Im not seeing any fill lines. Do you guys use toyota specific coolant is there something that's better?

Tranny fluid, is it checked with the car running or off?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-17-15, 05:17 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by 3rdDrawer
Tranny fluid, is it checked with the car running or off?
Tranny fluid is checked with the vehicle on idle, in nuetral, and on a level surface.
Old 01-17-15, 05:26 PM
Powerline
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 95 SC400 is one of the best cars I owned. I got 232xxx the only thing I done is bought a new battery. And course oil changes. I recently lowered mine and got some 18x10 wheels. I love my car even more. And yes our cars was ahead of its time! Enjoy!
Old 01-18-15, 02:08 PM
3rdDrawer
Driver School Candidate

Here are a couple pics.

Filled up the coolant earlier today and saw that it was leaking out of what i guess is the coolant level sensor. What do you guys suggest to fix this?
Old 01-18-15, 02:48 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Nice car, Welcome! Im sure you will love it... SCs are addictive, I'm on my 3rd. The V8 is a great motor and I'm sure it feels like a tank compared to a Honda.... which it is. They are reliable and have some quirks but for the most part will run 250k+ miles without major issues. You will learn that they are over engineered if you work on it.... something that is held in by 2 clips on a honda is held on by 18 hidden screws in a lexus LOL

PS. Dont bother looking for the "fog light switch" the lights on the bumper come on with turn signals like caddys and lincolns so you can avoid running over the curb LOL
Old 01-18-15, 03:33 PM
3rdDrawer
Driver School Candidate

Yeah my girlfriend was driving behind me the other night i looked in my review as we were turning a corner and noticed one of the fog lights was (out). Later i was checking all the bulbs, turned on the blinker and saw it light up.
Old 01-18-15, 03:54 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

The coolant reservior leak is another one of those "SC" things. (only years 92-94) The reservior tends to crack directly beside the coolant level sensor after 18+ years of aging. You can either hack your way out by using plastic weld or just do it right and order a good used reservior 92-94 only. (95 and up do not have that sensor on the reservior)

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 01-19-15 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 03:00 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^he's right? You can also check out the SC 300/400 Classified threads...or pm Aliga or RGW LLC (CL approved vendors) they may have the part you're needing? GL and keep us posted.

steve