SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

getting heated seats to warm hotter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 12:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The snow switch starts you out in second gear is what I heard, makes it so you can't peel it and have to go slowly. it is useful at times when there is alot of snow.
Old 01-07-15, 01:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

As I understand, the snow button reduces throttle, rather than starting in 2nd gear. At least this is how it works in my GS.
Old 01-08-15, 07:57 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Pretty sure all SCs have two warmers per seat, no? That's what the diagrams show, at least.

Something other than the TRAC button?
Me and my Fiancé confirmed feeling the heat in the lower back portion of the seats as well as under our butts.

And yes. The track on/off is on the left side by the steering column. The SNOW setting is the same switch I use for ECT POWER (higher rpm shifts), on the center console by the ****. Right click for ECT on/off, left click for SNOW. Both settings light up on the dash. The SNOW is yellowish orange color & the ECT a green color that reads.

I guess this was the fully loaded version I have. Didn't have any of these features listed when I bought my Sc Dec 3rd. I'm still learning more about her.
Old 01-08-15, 12:46 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

it was like 10* today....

i cri evry tim :`(
Old 01-09-15, 12:01 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Drove in fresh snow. The SNOW switch reduces throttle. I can go 60% throttle and still be well below 3k rpm. Makes the car feel like a 4 cylinder. Switch it off and it wakes the hell up.
Old 01-09-15, 12:06 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
As I understand, the snow button reduces throttle, rather than starting in 2nd gear. At least this is how it works in my GS.
Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Drove in fresh snow. The SNOW switch reduces throttle. I can go 60% throttle and still be well below 3k rpm. Makes the car feel like a 4 cylinder. Switch it off and it wakes the hell up.
Isn't that exactly what TRAC does, reduce throttle? Is the only difference that the Snow button gives you control over the behavior?
Old 01-09-15, 12:17 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Isn't that exactly what TRAC does, reduce throttle? Is the only difference that the Snow button gives you control over the behavior?
No. With TRAC (TCS) it is either on or off. I usually have it on, unless I'm trying to burn rubber. But it is NOT enough in the SNOW. With TRAC on, it does blink on the dash to show wheel slip, which is obvious to feel anyway. But with the SNOW switch active, the rpms stay really low. If I floor it, it does accelerate, but with much less torque. When I floored it briefly with SNOW, it didn't go beyond 2500rpm. Just refuses to spin crazy. With it off & TRAC on, it can still spin at pretty high rpms.

Trust a first hand driver in bad Chicago SNOW. It makes a big difference. Lexus didn't just slap on a feature that isn't necessary. Without this snow feature, I'd have to be way more careful with the throttle.
Old 01-10-15, 01:13 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i was stuck today, wish i had a snow switch lol
Old 01-10-15, 02:10 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I wonder how hard it would be to rig up something like the Snow or TRAC features? The SC's take on traction control is so rudimentary -- just cut power -- it seems like you could pretty closely duplicate it by just loosening the throttle cable when driving in bad weather for extended periods.
Old 01-10-15, 04:10 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

I wonder how hard it would be to rig up something like the Snow or TRAC features? The SC's take on traction control is so rudimentary -- just cut power -- it seems like you could pretty closely duplicate it by just loosening the throttle cable when driving in bad weather for extended periods.
True. But still a nice feature kept simple. I'm glad all options still work perfectly, 16yrs later.
Old 01-10-15, 09:36 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

True. But still a nice feature kept simple. I'm glad all options still work perfectly, 16yrs later.
K.I.S.S. does have its advantages.
Old 01-10-15, 11:35 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

K.I.S.S. does have its advantages.

Excuse me for being slow, but what's that stand for?
Old 01-11-15, 09:38 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Keep It Simple Stupid. Applies to pretty much everything in life.
Old 01-11-15, 11:00 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me and my Fiancé confirmed feeling the heat in the lower back portion of the seats as well as under our butts.

And yes. The track on/off is on the left side by the steering column. The SNOW setting is the same switch I use for ECT POWER (higher rpm shifts), on the center console by the ****. Right click for ECT on/off, left click for SNOW. Both settings light up on the dash. The SNOW is yellowish orange color & the ECT a green color that reads.

I guess this was the fully loaded version I have. Didn't have any of these features listed when I bought my Sc Dec 3rd. I'm still learning more about her.
Curious to see a picture of your TRAC button (as well as your engine bay) as I wasnt aware that any 98+ SC's had a designated TRAC button. Mine doesnt have anything, nor does it have heated seats, but it does have the ECT/SNOW mode button (maybe that just means that mine didnt come with the snow package?).

Anyways, in my old 95 the TRAC button almost acted like ABS, it would pump the brakes on the wheel that was spinning. "ECONOMY" (equivalent to SNOW I think?) mode (might have been called something else also, cant remember) started the car in 2nd gear, and PWR mode just increased the RPMs by 500 before changing gears.

In my current '99 SNOW mode changes how much power is given to the throttle in all gears. PWR mode doesnt just change the transmission timing now, but it changes a whole whack of other things that really liven the car up. So thats one of the upgrades to the newer SC's is that rather simply adjusting a few parameters to change the cars behaviour, it changes a lot more things to change the cars behaviour to a more significant degree. Likely a result of it being OBD2 now.

...anyways, on to the purpose of the thread, heated seats. Mine doesnt have them, and I miss them dearly even though I dont drive my car in the winter (mornings can still be cold on my baby-butt).
I found the following video on YouTube which makes a heated seat install look easy (although I'm a little worried about separating the leather from the foam in the seat and not being able to get it back nicely.

..if I were to choose this route, I would install the heaters in the backrest as well, and also look into a way to wire in a a multi-level switch into the stock heated switch location (guess I would need to buy a new gated shifter bezel since mine doesnt have these buttons), maybe using RX switches?
Old 01-11-15, 09:56 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

that is too much work lol

i would just buy some seat covers, and put that on top of the seat.

actually, i'm just going to do that. LOL

Quick Reply: getting heated seats to warm hotter?