SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Scblackout - my first 5sp Lexus experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 12:07 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scblackout - my first 5sp Lexus experience

If you follow the thread you will see how and why my opinion changes over time from my initial impression in this post.

I'm old, not a teenager, I had never driven, nor cared to drive one of these cars prior to this week. While researching some parts for my teg-r, I stumbled across a few videos of the sc300 and figured what the hell, looks fun, so I went out and bought a 96. These cars are so cheap that I figured worst case I throw away a few dollars on an old car.

After a few days of owning one I have to ask:
What the hell was Toyota thinking when they built this car?

1. It's to heavy
2. Pathetic power -- no stock turbo was stupid
3. Cornering sucks
4. No stock lsd -- stupid for a 'performance' rwd
5. Rattles (this one shocked me being a lexus n all)
6. Lousy electronics -- cluster needles, climate lcd, heated seats anyone?
7. Overall boring to drive.

It just seems to me that even if I spent a ton of money on the car that in the end I would still hate it. Might be wrong, but after a few days of driving it, I just think this is the wrong platform to build anything other than a turbo drag car, or drifter, which even then isn't the best platform, not to mention I have seriously have no interest in doing.

At this point, I'll probably just park it and wait till the local circle track opens. The car has brand new brake system, bc coilovers, lexus service records, timing belt etc, so it should be reliable enough to last a few laps. It is going to be awesome watching the look on everyone's faces when I pull a 'luxury' car out into what amounts to no more than a faster demolition derby than a race. Might make for a great youtube vid as I doubt anyone else will do this to their manual sc.

-- Unfortunately there is no v6 class, so I'll have to share space with big ol American v8's, that should be fun.

Last edited by scblackout; 01-14-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-03-15, 12:09 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Good god, looks like you just wasted your money on a "raggedy" (is that even a word) POS of an SC.

Sorry for your troubles. Maybe stick to Hondas? Later.
Old 01-03-15, 12:16 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can't enjoy that car there is something wrong with you, something wrong with it, or both.

i have an auto SC300 and after getting the suspension just right and fixing a few things i love it more every day.

my next plans are to install a 350Z 6spd, sc400 ring/pinion, and LSD. A turbo motor would be cool but the engine makes good power as is for most people.
Old 01-03-15, 12:23 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Good god, looks like you just wasted your money on a "raggedy" (is that even a word) POS of an SC.

Sorry for your troubles. Maybe stick to Hondas? Later.
Couldn't agree more. The car had all service records anyone could ever hope for, the interior is actually immaculate, just dirty as I was out playing with friends. So while this is not a 'showroom' car like yours, it is a great example of a 'regular' lexus and what a person can expect buying an old pos.

I've had honda, acura for years now and honestly comparing apples to apples, I'll take my teg over the sc any day of the week.
Old 01-03-15, 12:29 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

oh and year, miles, purchase price are needed to validate any of your claims.

my guess is it has extremely high miles and its obviously at least 20 years old.
Old 01-03-15, 01:06 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP , I do respect your opinion. No offense meant but I don't think it will be right to bash the whole Lexus SC line-up just because you got a POS for not doing more research and getting the right one. By itself the SC in its glory form is not a performance car. It was a luxury car 20 years ago. There are tons of them on this forum that are well maintained that can go toe to toe in looks with today's cars. Most of the cars that are 20 years old even if restored perfectly still look sh?t compared to today's cars.

With some work and money , you can make it a performance car that can give you at least 700rwhp with its stock long block. . Show me a car that has a 20 year old engine technology that can give me that power ? We are not even talking about installing the bigger sibling of the 2jzge engine which is the 2jzgte. May I know how much you paid for the car ? Looks to me you are expecting a brand spanking new performance car with the amount you paid for which is not right. Got to pay to play with these toys.

Again I don't mean to offend you but don't you think you are being insensitive coming to a forum who loves the SC and start bashing the whole SC line up just because you bought a POS ?

Come to my place, I will give you a ride on a 850rwhp SC that not even the new stingray , camaro and mustang can keep up even if it is a raggedy looking 22 year old SC. And yet I spent a lot less compared to those cars . I have two high HP MKIVs but one thing I will telly you , I prefer driving my SCs than the MKIVs.

I guess by now you can tell, this is a guy who loves the SC and there are tons of them on this forum is all I can say.
Old 01-03-15, 01:10 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

OP sell your car and go buy an Integra. Lexus never marketed this car as a powerhouse if that was the case they would have put a GTE JZ motor in it. Seriously sell your car and gtfo.
Old 01-03-15, 01:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
OP sell your car and go buy an Integra. Lexus never marketed this car as a powerhouse if that was the case they would have put a GTE JZ motor in it. Seriously sell your car and gtfo.
Thank you.

I feel bad for gerrb for trying to talk sense into an obvious dumbf***.
Old 01-03-15, 01:31 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this seems like a troll, none of what I read in the first post makes sense.

Could be a nice car.
Old 01-03-15, 01:33 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't you test drive it first?
How much would you take for that heavy, rattly, pathetic POS "as is"? ;-)
Old 01-03-15, 01:36 PM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, you don't get it op.....
just sell and stay away from lexus, you don't derserve.
Old 01-03-15, 01:54 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

You have to experience a good SC before complaining about your bad SC, because one bad one doesn't sum up the experience of all of them. My first SC was a bag of ****. My current SC is smooth as hell, quiet ride, that drives better then most new cars. Regardless of your SC's records, it matters how it was driven, what's broken, and what needs fixing. If it makes a lot of noise someone probably did a bad audio upgrade and cracked the door panels and/or other tabs.....
Old 01-03-15, 01:57 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Come on the forums and bash the SC......Epic Fail
Old 01-03-15, 02:13 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

obviously he's a honda guy used to honda world. most of the little fixing with my car has been fixing hack jobs done by other people and general age wear and tear. right now i'm fiberglassing my center vent bezel because its a unicorn part. hondas dont really have problems like that.
Old 01-03-15, 03:05 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by scblackout
After a few days of owning one I have to ask:
What the hell was Toyota thinking when they built this car?

1. It's to heavy
2. Pathetic power -- no stock turbo was stupid
3. Cornering sucks
4. No stock lsd -- stupid for a 'performance' rwd
5. Rattles (this one shocked me being a lexus n all)
6. Lousy electronics -- cluster needles, climate lcd, heated seats anyone?
7. Overall boring to drive.
(if you're not just trolling)
Actually,
You are correct on some of that.
It is too heavy, the 300 is underpowered to us, but the 40-60 year old audience in the 90's thought it was fine i'm sure.
Until you set it up properly, cornering hard isn't great.
LSD was not necessary at that power level for the target audience at that time.
These cars generally don't rattle unless it was taken apart and put back together improperly.
The clusters and climate do go after 15-20 years but they are largely bulbs.
The last point is one we all likely disagree with. In spite of said deficiencies, we all LOVE driving them!

What many of us fall in love with is the platforms potential. You can build some real monsters on this platform.
You should have a good read of the reviews on the Sc's from the 90's. They all disagree with you. It actually won car of the year.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 01-03-15 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Scblackout - my first 5sp Lexus experience