SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Scblackout - my first 5sp Lexus experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 08:33 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP,

I spent three days fixing the crappy reassembly job someone did on my interior and several months lining out the suspension. i traded the coilovers that came on the car for some supra struts with eibach springs then made spacers to give me the travel the front suspension required. i even replaced the cabin air filter.

I've done full bushings, got anew instrument cluster from tanin, replaced the rack, alternator, and ya know what?

the car drives unbelievably good. smooth steering, firm but not harsh suspension, corners awesomely, looks great and doesn't rattle at all. it doesn't even smell like a used car... its just... great. i love it and can't wait to retire it from daily driving duty so i can start really digging into it.

you've got a gem. fix it and enjoy it.
Old 01-03-15, 09:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

A bit late coming into this thread. Seems like almost everyone has covered the obvious points.

OP, it sounds like you have had a very bad initial experience with the SC. Like many 20+ year old cars that haven't been restored it will need a little work to get it back in shape. I hope we can help you get to a better experience with what is otherwise a very good vehicle once it has a few tweaks and some TLC.

As to your complaints:

Originally Posted by scblackout
So what did I hate about the drive --
1. It's not really the quickest off the line, cool but not wow.
2. On mid speed cornering I found it wanted to severely understeer and I had a really hard time keeping the back end under me.
3. Abrupt stop from 100+ was.... interesting to say the least, that is where I felt the weight of the car the most. The abs throbbing in the peddle was working hard. Lost the backend twice doing these tests. --- brand new lexus installed brakes 3 mos old, verified with receipts. Front tires brand new, back tires < 6mos and full tread.
4. Ever been in a car where the bumps in the road make you feel like your going to tag the guard rail if you hit them wrong.... NOT FUN!
1.) Cheap solution: 4.272:1 ratio swap. For serious power, you need a 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE swap or an NA-T build. Night and day difference. It's also recommended you switch to a more turbo-friendly manual transmission like the R154 or one of the recent non-Toyota alternative gearboxes that have been explored recently. Lexus didn't install the turbo-specific 5-speed from the Soarer against the NA engine because it wasn't needed and also because it feels a lot more at home in a "muscle car" than in a "Lexus". The latter is a good thing.

2.) I think the issues with your suspension have been addressed by other members now. Those coil overs are good but they have been installed and calibrated incorrectly. Also, consider a Supra TT rear sway bar swap and a "Lance" alignment (refer to MKIV.com).

3.) The stock SC300 brakes are a joke. Do a 95-99 LS400 front caliper swap or swap in brake calipers from a 93-98 Supra TT. Suddenly, you'll have the stopping power you were expecting.

4.) Definitely related to the improperly set up suspension, a bad alignment, possibly worn out front lower control arms (interchangeable with MKIV equivalents) or tie rods. Get all of those checked out.

Now as for a couple of other things:

Weight -- yes, it's a bit heavy but all Japanese models save a mid-cycle value trim level came with turbocharged engines or V8's. The weight isn't an issue once you have a turbocharged JZ engine.

LSD -- Unfortunately Lexus felt no one would want this option but it absolutely changes the car whether you find a used Torsen from a Supra or buy an aftermarket clutch type.

Headlights -- I highly recommend (for safety) installing a 4200k plug and play HID single xeon kit. High beams are fine but the stock projector housings do well with this upgrade.

Originally Posted by scblackout
Didn't mean to step on toes. I knew I bought a decent car and just expected so much more. I can guarantee if anyone took even the best sc in this forum, tighten the coilover springs completely and then try to drive it, you would hate it as much as I do.

So car is going to recommended performance shop and I will wait to pass judgement when I get it back. The sales guy swears that it's a great car and I will love it when he fixes it... Suppose I will see.
This is understandable, especially if you haven't owned one of these models before. I actually drove many $15k+(++) RWD manual performance cars before stumbling upon mine much in the same way you found yours. I also had never driven an SC prior. I had done a lot of research on it years before though. It also had plenty of issues at that time, even as far as the brakes going out after driving it off the rink dink used dealer lot. Night and day difference from how my SC drove then compared to how it drives now.

The truth is that the best potential is unlocked when some key chassis and driveline features are modified. And even then you will still have a very livable everyday vehicle until you cross the 500hp threshold. All the cosmetic issues you mentioned are easily addressed very affordably without the help of a Lexus dealer.

Believe us when we tell you the car has much more to give than what you have had from it so far. With a bit of work you would be genuinely surprised.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-03-15 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 12:18 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year Supra rear sway bar will fit a sc300? Is it a direct bolt on?
Old 01-04-15, 06:27 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Op, I'm sorry you don't like your sc, looks like the previous owner didn't know what he was doing with the car and unloaded halfassed poorly moded car on you.
The reason your rear end is all over the place is because 1 car needs a better suspension than ebay junk coilover slapped on there.
2 looking at the wheel and tire combo, no wonder you're all over the place in the wet weather!
3 car needs an alignment for sure!
4 car needs a good new owner that cares and takes care of it, are you the one?
You may not realize what you have, until some one buys it from you mods it better to perform like a street/track machine...
yes it's heavy, yes it's may be a little under powered, and doesn't handle well in stock form, but the reliability department, cool factor of owning one, esp 5 speed if it's original is a class!
Get a civic and quit crying here you have manual, most dont!!

Originally Posted by Equalizir
What year Supra rear sway bar will fit a sc300? Is it a direct bolt on?
Not even remotely close,
it requires toyota supra sway bar mounts, sway bar, and the links, or you can fabricate your own mounts and use a supra sway bar
Old 01-04-15, 08:36 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one thing that has not been mentioned yet (or not that I had seen) is the SC300/400 was NOT built to be a performance car. I recall a video that was posted years ago talking about the birth of the SC's, and it was clearly stated that the car was designed to be a luxury Sports Coupe. Meaning it had the feeling of a sports car with a focus on luxury and comfort.

These cars were not necessarily designed to be fast or handle perfectly. I have tracked Integra R's, and even the stock suspension was designed to push the car harder into and out of the turns. Comparing apples to apples is not possible. Your comparing an anorexic track star to a thick bodied pin-up model with a timeless level of class. And this is why there is an aftermarket support line for the SC300/400/poor-mans-Supra.

Put some time and money into it, and make it perform the way you expect it to.
Old 01-04-15, 12:07 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! Sorry you feel your SC is a POS...can't change your feeling on that one. Why not give the SC a chance, after all it was a luxury car in it's original state, and when done correctly could be built into an even more awesome car! Plus the weight, and overall design increases survivability in the even of an accident, etc. Our cars have some flaws, as with any 20+ old cars. And if you're planning on buying everything Lexus direct, you'll spend way too much money, and still not reach full potential? There's tons of good information, and build information on here. You got a good platform to build off, take the opportunity, do your research and go from there. Remember this is a Lexus forum, and most people here love their cars and are willing to work past imperfections. Either way, good luck with your venture and keep us posted.

steve
Old 01-04-15, 12:41 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

This thread is a good example of why modded cars tend to be worth less than stock ones, even if the mods are very desirable $$$-wise. So many mods are poorly executed like the suspension and wheel setup here, which was painfully obvious with the briefest of glances at that first photo, it's an uphill battle to convince prospective buyers that there's added value.
Old 01-04-15, 01:18 PM
hunchuro
Driver School Candidate

This guy isn't worth the time. Let him unload that pile of **** to someone who cares for it.
Old 01-04-15, 02:38 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No need go backwards, this thread is on the "upswing". We know at least one of the issues.
Old 01-04-15, 04:50 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

If the OP is sending the car to a local "performance shop" that is at least a start. Kind of confused about the "buy them and drive them" apparently into the ground approach as it seems to indicate.

A $5K black on black SC300 5sp is a find - even in as bad a shape as this one seems to be (due mostly to improper mods and care),

After 200K miles my AT SC300 blew the head gasket on cyl 6 so I am in for an expensive repair; while I wish I had gotten more miles before this happened, it was not totally unexpected and was budgeted, somewhat, in the long term out look for the vehicle. I am not a DIYer at all but can afford to keep this platform running the way I wanted; if the OP catches the "bug" after getting the car setup to meet his needs maybe it will all work out in the end.

Take lots of pictures and post your progress and opinions even though many of us will be defensive and not agree with you at times...

Good luck....
Old 01-04-15, 04:54 PM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default My 2 cents.

I've had five SC's and I really love the car. Having said that, the OP has a point about the
performance of these cars. They are not really sports cars in the traditional sense.
I'm an older guy, I don't like to work on cars anymore, and i think the old SC's are gorgeous.
My old SC is just a daily driver, super dependable, and gets lots of compliments.
I paid 5K for it three years ago, and put about 3K in it, mostly for paint. I have no complaints.
However, no way can you compare the SC's to the 60's muscle cars I grew up with. I had Corvettes and Camaros and Novas that would snap your neck when you launched them. I've said it before on this forum many times, if you really wanna go fast, get a V8, a Mustang or Camaro that starts out with 300 plus hp even before mods. Go and check out Nelson Racing clips on Youtube. The man builds twin turbo V8's that get up to 2000 HP.
Crazy.
The OP did seem rather insensitive to trash our cars, but he had some expectations that were out of line. The SC was built as a good looking cruiser aimed at the older segment, not blase like the Crown Vic, but kind of the same market of older people who want a super reliable car.
And of course the fact that the SC motors can go 3 to 4 hundred K if you change the oil, that is really phenomenal. Some of the best engines ever made.
For 5K, it's pretty hard to find a better car, especially considering that these cars sold for around 50K.
Old 01-04-15, 07:55 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember every time I saw one out on a cruise night i was like JEEEZUS!! As for owning one, when the garage door opens I still feel the same. I had no problem selling a lifted tahoe, Bye! A slammed pickup, See ya! hell my 49 chev sport coupe is about to be sold! but this car would be hard to part with. And I know a bunch of people here feel the same. These cars are an accumulation of progressional design work that places them alone. In their class there is not much that sits as low with luxury that wraps you into the car. No its not a vette, nor is it a commuter. Its nearly impossible to RICE out, and that stands it as unique. (there is a guy who donk'd one here in minneapolis, and yes it looks terrible.) but aside that they can look truly fantastic.
Old 01-04-15, 08:32 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You bought an SC that was attempted to be made into something Toyota never intended it to be. These cars were very expensive (for a Japanese car) when new so most buyers were middle aged professionals. These were the kind of people who went to the dealer for everything, handed them the key, and said "fix it and send me the bill". The car itself is supposed to be about comfort, a smooth ride, superior HVAC and sound system, etc. It was never meant to go fast, race on a track, have short throws for the 5 speed, etc. It takes a good chunk of money to do it right if you want an SC to become a Supra in a tuxedo.

You bought the wrong car if you wanted something fast and light weight. Cut your losses now and get rid of it. There is nothing more expensive than a cheap luxury car in terms of repairs and maintenance. Don't even think about fixing up an SC that was butchered by someone else.
Old 01-05-15, 01:57 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by texan_176
You bought an SC that was attempted to be made into something Toyota never intended it to be. These cars were very expensive (for a Japanese car) when new so most buyers were middle aged professionals. These were the kind of people who went to the dealer for everything, handed them the key, and said "fix it and send me the bill". The car itself is supposed to be about comfort, a smooth ride, superior HVAC and sound system, etc. It was never meant to go fast, race on a track, have short throws for the 5 speed, etc.
If this were entirely the truth, why was the Soarer 2.5GT 5-speed made? Optional Torsen LSD, beefy transmission, strong factory turbo engine capable of far more power than stock (with a new turbo)? It still wasn't a sports car but it was far closer to a performance GT coupe than the SC300 or SC400 and it could run respectable numbers stock.

In the USA we never got that trim level so one could say the car was never intended *one these shores* as a performance car but in the R&D phase the vehicle platform certainly was designed with a respectable degree of real high performance in mind.

For Japan.

Originally Posted by texan_176
It takes a good chunk of money to do it right if you want an SC to become a Supra in a tuxedo.
This is gospel. But it's also not a common thing to find: a relatively inexpensive, highly capable sports coupe that has tremendous reliability and longevity and happens to share nearly full braking, suspension and drivetrain compatibility with a highly respected sports car capable of going head to head with super cars.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-05-15 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 02:08 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

I thought the thread was a joke until reading.

First off, I am a very, very detailed and analytical car guy.

First thing I noticed when buying my 98 was, the hood is super heavy. Doors super heavy, trunk super heavy. The whole car feels ve ry solid.

Close the door on a new car. Makes that flimsy hollow sound. Knock on the panels & notice how "CHEAP" it all feels. Though much lighter, these cars are made cheaper in comparison. How I see it, Lexus painted & built cars better back in the day. My paint is 100% original.

For a luxury sports car, it is amazing. Never drove a Toyota that rattled, much less a Lexus SC. You obviously let the aggressive wheel setup give you Corvette expectations. I will be buying another 98+ SC400 as soon as a good deal comes along. Don't know why you didn't go VVTI 98+.

I ALWAYS get compliments on my baby. As one of my neighbors always says, SHES A BEAST!

Quick Reply: Scblackout - my first 5sp Lexus experience