SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1998 sc400 high/low beam/fog kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 02:27 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1998 sc400 high/low beam/fog kit

Hello again CL. Just got my HID kit from DDM Tuning today.

I would rather not have to go to a body shop. Can any of you guys help me out with installation of these lights? Can't 've that difficult.

I'm not sure if removing my front wheels, or turning them out will help with Fog light access. Also, any tips on where to mount these balasts?

Old 12-27-14, 08:12 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fog lights are pretty easy to access if the car is off the ground, probably even not too bad with it on the ground if you're stock ride height, no need to turn the wheels really. As far as where to mount them, I just found a few places I could run zip ties through.

And then on the ballast I wrapped them kind of like in this image.

Where I had two going around the ballast like how this one has 3 going around it, and then I hooked a third ziptie under neath the two zipties wrapped on the ballast and dipped that one through whatever hole I found near my lights and just tightened it like that. I got a nice fit and all 4 of my ballasts are nice and sturdy. The mounts that come in the DDM kits for the ballast are trash tbh, I've never gotten a set from them that has all 6 mounting bolts intact/in spec. And I've ordered 3 different sets of ballasts from them so far with the mounts. So Just use zipties to hold them up. Then it's pretty much plug and play. You either have them plugged directly into the old 9005/H(whatever number the foglights are) and drawing power from the headlight harness. Or you use a relay to draw power directly from the battery while one headlight harness just acts as the "on" switch for the relay.
Old 12-28-14, 12:00 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eknine9
Fog lights are pretty easy to access if the car is off the ground, probably even not too bad with it on the ground if you're stock ride height, no need to turn the wheels really. As far as where to mount them, I just found a few places I could run zip ties through.

And then on the ballast I wrapped them kind of like in this image.

Where I had two going around the ballast like how this one has 3 going around it, and then I hooked a third ziptie under neath the two zipties wrapped on the ballast and dipped that one through whatever hole I found near my lights and just tightened it like that. I got a nice fit and all 4 of my ballasts are nice and sturdy. The mounts that come in the DDM kits for the ballast are trash tbh, I've never gotten a set from them that has all 6 mounting bolts intact/in spec. And I've ordered 3 different sets of ballasts from them so far with the mounts. So Just use zipties to hold them up. Then it's pretty much plug and play. You either have them plugged directly into the old 9005/H(whatever number the foglights are) and drawing power from the headlight harness. Or you use a relay to draw power directly from the battery while one headlight harness just acts as the "on" switch for the relay.
Thanks bro. I did order the mounting brackets. For under $3 a set, why not? And my balasts are far smaller. Good to know I can get away with zip ties. And my car us lowered on coils. I'm actually just worried about the fogs (H3). Here's a pick of how low the car is compared to stock & the bracket & ballast.

Old 12-28-14, 12:06 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

And the brackets are very flimsy. So that is still crap. The ballast is a lot slimmer, so should be just as easy to mount them. So tomorrow off to the hardware store or walgreens to get ties and then I will handle the Highs and Lows. Hope I'll be able to get to the fogs. If not, I will see if I can get them done when I get my brakes serviced next week. Brakes make a blunt squeaky like sound upon hard braking. Thinking it's the pads.
Old 12-28-14, 12:32 AM
jayydm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn your wheel away from you and peel the fender liner back. thats how i got to my fog lights every time
Old 12-28-14, 12:39 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayydm
turn your wheel away from you and peel the fender liner back. thats how i got to my fog lights every time
Right. I heard of someone else doing the same thing. Assuming that the fender/fog accessibility with this method works just the same for 98+ Sc's.
Old 12-28-14, 12:58 AM
jayydm
Driver School Candidate

yes itll work the same, I own a 97 so same bumpers ect
Old 12-28-14, 12:59 AM
jayydm
Driver School Candidate

also try to get those ballast mounted high or in the engine bay with your other ballasts. You dont want water getting into there
Old 12-28-14, 01:55 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jayydm
also try to get those ballast mounted high or in the engine bay with your other ballasts. You dont want water getting into there
i got waterproof and shockproof ballasts
Old 12-29-14, 12:26 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Nvm guys. I changed the lows in a Walgreens parking lot. I couldn't get the high beam connector lose, but gave up to try again later. Very simple. My main thing is getting to the dogs. I'll also tackle that later.

But someone said the 8000k bulbs are too blue. They aren't that blue at all. Even have a very light off greenish blue, white color. Very nice and FAR better than the halogen bulbs I removed. Will not need a lower temp. Very pleased. And the balasts are in the bay.

Will post pictures after the wash. She's pretty dirty.
Old 12-29-14, 08:04 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
But someone said the 8000k bulbs are too blue. They aren't that blue at all. Even have a very light off greenish blue, white color. Very nice and FAR better than the halogen bulbs I removed. Will not need a lower temp. Very pleased. And the balasts are in the bay.

Will post pictures after the wash. She's pretty dirty.
When you get a chance change them out for 5000k's and check the difference. I used to have 8000k's in my car from the PO, and I thought they were great until I tried a 4300k, it was really night and day. Then did my Retrofit conversion and stuck with 5000k-4300k, I've got both color temps and currently rocking 5000k. But it's really your car and if you're happy that's all that matters, just give the lower temp a try and see if you like them or not.

The fogs are easier than the lows, you'll have a lot more room down there and much more room to mount the ballasts. The only thing I don't know is how the 97 fog connectors are. Should still be plug and play, but I've got a 92 with a 97 bumper so I had to run wires to my ballast from a separate relay that keyed off the lows.
Old 12-29-14, 09:32 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
When you get a chance change them out for 5000k's and check the difference. I used to have 8000k's in my car from the PO, and I thought they were great until I tried a 4300k, it was really night and day. Then did my Retrofit conversion and stuck with 5000k-4300k, I've got both color temps and currently rocking 5000k. But it's really your car and if you're happy that's all that matters, just give the lower temp a try and see if you like them or not..
Thanks for that message, I was starting to give up

I do remember being 25 and once I decided I wanted to like something, It was a wrap, LOL
Old 01-05-15, 04:09 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Thanks for that message, I was starting to give up

I do remember being 25 and once I decided I wanted to like something, It was a wrap, LOL
I get what was mentioned before. My goal wasn't just better light output. I wanted a unique color temp, but not the played out 10k temp. The Crystal white temp is perfect for me now. The fact that I see signs and the road better, is good enough for me, at the moment.

And the Fog lights are H3 bulbs. I will get around to installing soon. Just seen some snow here in Chicago. Not the weather to haggle with the fogs. The temp is not obnoxious. A real mild white/greenish blue. I love them so far.
Old 01-05-15, 01:32 PM
Khiladi
Driver

Any pics of the ballasts mounted in the engine bay? Trying to find a good location...
Old 01-06-15, 03:38 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Khiladi
Any pics of the ballasts mounted in the engine bay? Trying to find a good location...
Like a member suggested, zip ties will do the trick. But as Kong as they're free from moving parts & nothing juggles around during operation, you'll 've fine. The fogs will be interesting, as far as finding a safe place for the ballasts.

Quick Reply: 1998 sc400 high/low beam/fog kit