Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

NEWBIE just bought an SC400

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-14, 08:48 PM   #1
SC400Zulu
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
SC400Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 65
Default NEWBIE just bought an SC400

Hello CL! I have been a silent spectator on this website for months, but now that I just purchased my 1998 Sc400, it's time to join!

I bought the car TODAY, on my sisters 24th birth date at that. Barouque (I think that's how it's spelled?) Red Metallic. Just made 99K Miles, has all service records until recent. Bought it from a gentleman named Angelo. He is a mechanic, so the car was well cared for and purrs like a kitten. Has Coil Overs, Borla Mufflers & a few other bolt on's I can't remember (add deleted off CL). Getting full bolt on list tomorrow.

I was just in the market for a Sports Car. I almost got a 2004 G35 Coupe that was also in the price range, since he was NEEDY of the funds. But I am pleased with my purchase. Original EVERYTHING. All electronics work, interior flawless damn near. Paint is also nice. Only issue is a VERY small dent on the passenger side quarter panel. Didn't even notice it when I first looked at it. I will probably fix it this summer. Bothers the HELL out of me, because I love my new wife... Plus being a perfectionist ...

But considering the condition and Mileage, I feel at $7000 it was a steal! Lots of smooth power and great build quality. Very solid. The previous gentleman I mentioned, also owns a 500+ HP M3. I can tell he loved this car. Was a pleasure to take it off his hands!

Yes, my first Lex, so any tips and or questions are welcomed!

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
SC400Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 09:06 PM   #2
Aron9000
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC400Zulu View Post
Hello CL! I have been a silent spectator on this website for months, but now that I just purchased my 1998 Sc400, it's time to join!

I bought the car TODAY, on my sisters 24th birth date at that. Barouque (I think that's how it's spelled?) Red Metallic. Just made 99K Miles, has all service records until recent. Bought it from a gentleman named Angelo. He is a mechanic, so the car was well cared for and purrs like a kitten. Has Coil Overs, Borla Mufflers & a few other bolt on's I can't remember (add deleted off CL). Getting full bolt on list tomorrow.

I was just in the market for a Sports Car. I almost got a 2004 G35 Coupe that was also in the price range, since he was NEEDY of the funds. But I am pleased with my purchase. Original EVERYTHING. All electronics work, interior flawless damn near. Paint is also nice. Only issue is a VERY small dent on the passenger side quarter panel. Didn't even notice it when I first looked at it. I will probably fix it this summer. Bothers the HELL out of me, because I love my new wife... Plus being a perfectionist ...

But considering the condition and Mileage, I feel at $7000 it was a steal! Lots of smooth power and great build quality. Very solid. The previous gentleman I mentioned, also owns a 500+ HP M3. I can tell he loved this car. Was a pleasure to take it off his hands!

Yes, my first Lex, so any tips and or questions are welcomed!

Click the image to open in full size.

I must say, you bought IMO the best SC sold in the States. I own a 1992 SC300/5 speed, and I wish I had held out for the right 98-00 SC400.

That engine upgrade with variable valve timing, along with a whole host of other minor tweaks really sets the 98-00 SC400 as a much better car vs all the other SC cars, if you plan on leaving it stock. The stronger V8 cuts off almost a whole second off the quarter mile et vs earlier SC400's and SC300 manuals.

I hope you have a better place to keep that car other than parked on the street. I'd hate to think I spent $7000 on such a pretty car to see it just get beat the hell up parked in the elements and having people bump into it who don't know how to parallel park.
Aron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 09:17 PM   #3
SC400Zulu
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
SC400Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
I must say, you bought IMO the best SC sold in the States. I own a 1992 SC300/5 speed, and I wish I had held out for the right 98-00 SC400.

That engine upgrade with variable valve timing, along with a whole host of other minor tweaks really sets the 98-00 SC400 as a much better car vs all the other SC cars, if you plan on leaving it stock. The stronger V8 cuts off almost a whole second off the quarter mile et vs earlier SC400's and SC300 manuals.

I hope you have a better place to keep that car other than parked on the street. I'd hate to think I spent $7000 on such a pretty car to see it just get beat the hell up parked in the elements and having people bump into it who don't know how to parallel park.
Good God.... The images you put in my head . Unfortunately, I stay in Chicago without a garage. I have to settle for a car cover, which I will get tomorrow. The bird ***** from the trees are legendary on this block... I need this cover. But I am moving down south after I serve my tax time clients . I am in the beauty business, so I am now in the position to enjoy this car & re-locate to a more car friendly town, that doesn't get snow, or cold weather. But thanks so much on the compliment. I really almost lost out on this car. It was for sale for $9700 months ago, all the way down to $6900. I then contacted the gentleman and met with him. I offered 5K and wouldn't go higher. He smiled and pretty much told me there was NO WAY.

Did some digging, found out there where only about 1189 SC400's built in 1998, much less in this color, condition and mileage. After some soul searching, I knew I had to have it and offered $7K.

I plan to keep it as is with the bolt ons. Maybe a tower brace, full exhaust, intake, light tints, double din kit, that's it. Maybe when I can afford to, I would consider a manual swap and a high compression motor build (no forced induction). I plan to keep her forever...

Here us an older pic of her before I owned it. Will take a video and better pics tomorrow. EDIT* Congrats on owning that super rare 5sp! Well, if it is factory.


Click the image to open in full size.
SC400Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 09:37 PM   #4
dseag2
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
dseag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 2,962
Default

I owned a '99 SC300 and it was a fantastic car. I love the color you got and it is really rare. Enjoy!
__________________
'13 Lexus GS F Sport- Liquid Platinum/Cabernet/ML/HUD/DRS
'13 Infiniti G37 Convertible- Graphite Shadow/Graphite/Premium

dseag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 09:45 PM   #5
SC400Zulu
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
SC400Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseag2 View Post
I owned a '99 SC300 and it was a fantastic car. I love the color you got and it is really rare. Enjoy!
Thank you! I am very happy at this point! I made the right choice then!
SC400Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 10:07 PM   #6
Aron9000
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 1,108
Default

BTW, my "RARE" 1992 SC300/5 speed is pearl white with the same light beige interior.

Considering the condition and maintenance records are the same, I'd much rather have your "purple nurple" 1998 SC400. While the 5 speed SC300 is fun and decently quick, for something with a manual trans, it does feel a bit isolated and heavy around the corners. IE it feels like it needs another 50-100hp and a good shifting automatic to make that really nice "GT" car.
Aron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 10:52 PM   #7
SC400Zulu
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
SC400Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
BTW, my "RARE" 1992 SC300/5 speed is pearl white with the same light beige interior.

Considering the condition and maintenance records are the same, I'd much rather have your "purple nurple" 1998 SC400. While the 5 speed SC300 is fun and decently quick, for something with a manual trans, it does feel a bit isolated and heavy around the corners. IE it feels like it needs another 50-100hp and a good shifting automatic to make that really nice "GT" car.
Haha. There are nice SC4's out there. Just not a lot of 98-00. Just took the other wife to Walgreens. Snapped a couple quick shots, low light. Also have a pic of the passenger quarter panel. Looks like it's down to the metal. Any way to protect it against rust until I can fix it?


Click the image to open in full size.




Click the image to open in full size.
SC400Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 09:52 PM   #8
T0ked
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)
 
T0ked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,430
Default

Beautiful car. I miss my SC...
T0ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 10:52 PM   #9
SC400Zulu
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
SC400Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0ked View Post
Beautiful car. I miss my SC...
Thanks. I love her more each day. Love the gated 5sp. I get somewhat of that Sports Car control, but I also enjoy the luxury side of this car. I also think it the gas tank in the trunk was a unique touch from the factory.

Car also has all the trunk accessories, like the tools and what not.
SC400Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 11:44 PM   #10
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 45,647
Default

congrats. moving to the right forum.
__________________
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 11:49 PM   #11
SC400Zulu
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
SC400Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
congrats. moving to the right forum.
Thanks! I figured out after the fact, that I should have made this in the SC section.

Any suggestions on that blemish on the quarter panel?
SC400Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-14, 08:27 AM   #12
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)
 
Studiogeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,712
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC400Zulu View Post
Thanks! I figured out after the fact, that I should have made this in the SC section.

Any suggestions on that blemish on the quarter panel?
I handled the same issue with a fiberglass tipped rust removal pen and Lexus touch up paint I got on Amazon. I removed the rust and touched all the spots up. It looks much better and will be fully sorted when I take it to the body shop to finalize the exterior.
__________________
95' SC400 Platinum/Black/Injen/Magnaflow/K40 R/L/WORK VS-ZF/55wHID/BC Racing/Mechman HO Alt.
95' SC300 Renaissance Red/Black n' Tan/5 Speed'\ Magnaflow/55wHID/BC Racing 68K
97' SC300 Platinum/Black Stock



Studiogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-14, 01:54 PM   #13
SC400Zulu
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
SC400Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiogeek View Post
I handled the same issue with a fiberglass tipped rust removal pen and Lexus touch up paint I got on Amazon. I removed the rust and touched all the spots up. It looks much better and will be fully sorted when I take it to the body shop to finalize the exterior.
Genius. Thanks a lot! I just want it protected until I fix it. Hope I won't have to repaint the whole car. The clear coat is still good, some sun swirls and what not, but nice. As you can see, the small dent has that deep slit that I need to protect from this Chicago weather.

I will get the correct color code touch up paint and that pen you mentioned.
SC400Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-14, 03:03 PM   #14
Need4Speed
Sponsor
Trader Score: (0)
 
Need4Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 2,002
https://www.facebook.com/Need4SpeedMotors https://twitter.com/N4SMotorsports http://instagram.com/need4speedmotorsports#
Default

Congrats and Welcome to the forums...
Need4Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:51 PM   #15
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 1,121
message me if you want to know
Default

very nice find my friend. very clean. what type of wheels do you plan on putting on the car
bigwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:51 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOS! Please Help, GS400 running VERY ROUGH PTYGS400 GS - Second Generation 50 09-03-14 07:43 PM
A/C Not working... STUMPED!!! 93SC300. Performance & Maintenance 0 08-01-13 09:25 PM
Saturday Meet at Vago's, 15% off all food - May 30th Ang-IS350 Local Events 25 06-19-09 10:16 AM
San Angelo jag_600 Southwest 0 08-15-06 08:03 PM
1997 Front bumper for 1995 sc400 WJsc400 SC 400/300 9 12-08-01 08:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info