NEWBIE just bought an SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 05:21 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Yes they are. They look nice, so maybe waiting until I move is best before changing them. The winters here aren't friendly to nice cars. Atlanta provides a 2car garage for the price I pay over here on 67th Street. I'm RIGHT OFF Lakeshore Drive

That first click notch turns on on the HID's, but it's the lights that come on at the corners and also what illuminates the dash and console lights. The next click turns on these whitefish lights I use at night. The other notch I believe turns in the HB's that are separate from the main lights (those isolated round lamps). The other controls must be the fogs, which I also want to HID. I've decided to go 12000K for the fogs & 6000k for the low and HB's.
Zulu,
To my knowledge, unless you have something custom it's:
1st click: Parking Lights
2nd click: Low beams and parking lights on
3rd click: Auto low beam that come on when light sensor on the dash deems it dark enough, and turn off when you exit car (set it and forget it).
Push stalk forward towards dash: High beams (stay) on
Pull stalk towards you: Flash high beams
Twist ring on stalk to "on" position: Fog lights on

What are the Whitefish lights?
Old 12-11-14, 11:40 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW Thats a clean!, Why does it need to be re-painted?
Old 12-12-14, 12:54 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Zulu,
To my knowledge, unless you have something custom it's:
1st click: Parking Lights
2nd click: Low beams and parking lights on
3rd click: Auto low beam that come on when light sensor on the dash deems it dark enough, and turn off when you exit car (set it and forget it).
Push stalk forward towards dash: High beams (stay) on
Pull stalk towards you: Flash high beams
Twist ring on stalk to "on" position: Fog lights on

What are the Whitefish lights?
Actuay, you are 100% right. The previous owner out the cheap blue bulbs on the Parking Lights. Don't know why he wouldn't HID the low beams. And I did recently learn how to use the fogs, just as you've*described. The whiteish lights are the low beams. They're not yellow, kind of white. I just need to HID the whole lighting up front.
Old 12-12-14, 01:00 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ems
WOW Thats a clean!, Why does it need to be re-painted?
The paint has minor blemishes from dust and pebbles. Probably can buff out the clear coat. But look at that ding on the passenger side quarter. I think it is on Page 1. I figure the fix and touch up paint may not match up right. But I love the factory color.

Engine hauls *** at almost 100k. She always gets the heart pumping. Gated tranny is decent enoughfor now. Maybe eventually a shift kit, BFI, full exhaust, wider wheels and tires.
Old 12-17-14, 01:10 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Took yalls advice and got the DDM HID kit for my fogs, lows & highs. 8K for Highs and Lows, 12k for the fogs, for show mostly... I'm 25, so I'm still into the CHEESY color temp.

Next is audio and tint.
Old 12-17-14, 01:13 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Took yalls advice and got the DDM HID kit for my fogs, lows & highs. 8K for Highs and Lows, 12k for the fogs, for show mostly... I'm 25, so I'm still into the CHEESY color temp.

Next is audio and tint.
Old 12-17-14, 04:51 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Next is audio and tint.
I know your 25 man, but even 25 year olds need to see at night. The high temp bulbs are really a noticeable problem when you are trying to light up the road. I would just order a set of 4300 bulbs ($25) and keep them in the glove box for when you realize this. I loved the color too, but it was at the expense of safety.
I also don't suggest HID for brights as you need brights instantly and HID systems take time to warm up.
Thirdly, I would install a voltmeter in the car if you are going with a big system AND three HID kits on the car. You may want to install a Mechman High output alternator in the car to help handle the additional load.

Good luck,
SG
Old 12-17-14, 12:16 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know your 25 man, but even 25 year olds need to see at night. The high temp bulbs are really a noticeable problem when you are trying to light up the road. I would just order a set of 4300 bulbs ($25) and keep them in the glove box for when you realize this. I loved the color too, but it was at the expense of safety.
Yup, the bulbs are so cheap from DDM, you may as well have a few sets. I have a few from 4300k, 5000k, and 6000k. and I personally prefer the 4300k's. For whatever reason, the 4300k's are bluer than the 5000k, I think it was just a manufacturing issue with DDM tuning, as the 5000k should look like what the 4300k's look like, but they're the perfect mix of white and blue for me. 6000k is too blue and there's just a whole ton more of visibility with the 4300k and 5000k. Any higher and the visibility just gets worse. Especially in the stock halogen projectors on this car. And his advice about HID's in the hi-beams is correct as well, I wouldn't do it due to the nature of how HID's warm up and what Hi-beams are used for.

You can do whatever you want with the fogs though, the light from my fog lights isn't even visible in my car when they're on.
Old 12-17-14, 03:51 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eknine9
Yup, the bulbs are so cheap from DDM, you may as well have a few sets. I have a few from 4300k, 5000k, and 6000k. and I personally prefer the 4300k's. For whatever reason, the 4300k's are bluer than the 5000k, I think it was just a manufacturing issue with DDM tuning, as the 5000k should look like what the 4300k's look like, but they're the perfect mix of white and blue for me. 6000k is too blue and there's just a whole ton more of visibility with the 4300k and 5000k. Any higher and the visibility just gets worse. Especially in the stock halogen projectors on this car. And his advice about HID's in the hi-beams is correct as well, I wouldn't do it due to the nature of how HID's warm up and what Hi-beams are used for.

You can do whatever you want with the fogs though, the light from my fog lights isn't even visible in my car when they're on.
The lights I have now aren't noticeable. Got pulled over last night because I forgot to turn them on. Doesn't make a huge difference, unless I'm in a real dark place. I will get some 4300 and 5000k bulbs if I find my visibility is worse than stock.

Also, thanks for letting me know that DDM tweaked with the temp. I just wanted a white, blueish temp. Also, the big system won't be done until I get a VM, Mechman Alt, Big 3 upgrade, better gauge wiring... etc. Only thing I'm doing now is speakers and head unit. I would also have to get an Alarm with proximity sensors, because I'll be damned if someone takes my system.

And I've looked at 8K HID kits. Very bright. Don't imagine I won't be able to see. And honestly, I got the high beams for show, at certain times. And as far as needing the high beams immediately, I will need my low beams, before I need the highs, so taking time to warm up and fully light, seems to be an issue more so for my low beams, since their the first things to go on in the evening & at night. I live in Chicago guys. When I move to Georgia, I'm sure the boondocks will require sufficient light, which I will then change.

You guys rock. ✌
Old 12-17-14, 05:27 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

The lights I have now aren't noticeable. Got pulled over last night because I forgot to turn them on. Doesn't make a huge difference, unless I'm in a real dark place. I will get some 4300 and 5000k bulbs if I find my visibility is worse than stock.

Also, thanks for letting me know that DDM tweaked with the temp. I just wanted a white, blueish temp. Also, the big system won't be done until I get a VM, Mechman Alt, Big 3 upgrade, better gauge wiring... etc. Only thing I'm doing now is speakers and head unit. I would also have to get an Alarm with proximity sensors, because I'll be damned if someone takes my system.

And I've looked at 8K HID kits. Very bright. Don't imagine I won't be able to see. And honestly, I got the high beams for show, at certain times. And as far as needing the high beams immediately, I will need my low beams, before I need the highs, so taking time to warm up and fully light, seems to be an issue more so for my low beams, since their the first things to go on in the evening & at night. I live in Chicago guys. When I move to Georgia, I'm sure the boondocks will require sufficient light, which I will then change.

You guys rock. ✌
Zulu,
I live in NYC and I did not know what I was missing until I got a second SC with 4300 bulbs. The second I got home, I ordered another set for the 400. You will have no idea what you are missing until you A/B compare them. I wouldn't be this persistant unless it was DRAMATIC.
IT REALLY IS. The high temp bulbs are potentially dangerous. Driving is way more enoyable now.
Just get the other bulbs and see for yourself.
Sg
Old 12-17-14, 07:23 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Zulu,
I live in NYC and I did not know what I was missing until I got a second SC with 4300 bulbs. The second I got home, I ordered another set for the 400. You will have no idea what you are missing until you A/B compare them. I wouldn't be this persistant unless it was DRAMATIC.
IT REALLY IS. The high temp bulbs are potentially dangerous. Driving is way more enoyable now.
Just get the other bulbs and see for yourself.
Sg
Will do. I believe you. At least the bulbs are cheap. Also, I was going to be lazy and have a shop install the kit, but could u do this myself?

Let me know how involved it is. I really do not mind doing the work myself, just has to be done right. I have the brackets inuded I guess for mounting the ballast.
Old 12-17-14, 09:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Will do. I believe you. At least the bulbs are cheap. Also, I was going to be lazy and have a shop install the kit, but could u do this myself?

Let me know how involved it is. I really do not mind doing the work myself, just has to be done right. I have the brackets inuded I guess for mounting the ballast.
It's crazy easy. I took both cars to a shop. I watched him on the second one and I remember thinking I was crazy not to do it myself but he only charged my $25.
Old 12-17-14, 09:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You literally unplug the current bulbs, and plug in the new ones with the ballasts plugged in inbetween. You just gotta find a place to mount the ballasts so theyre not flying around your engine bay (I just zap-strapped mine to the inside of my bumper).
Old 12-17-14, 10:52 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

True. Well, I'll take a crack at it. Wish I had a damn garage. It was colder than an Igloo in the city. My poor baby had a rough cold start. And would also be nice to install simple bolt ons in the comfort and safety of a heated garage.

Can't wait to move.
Old 12-19-14, 04:36 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The 8000k bulbs are so obnoxiously blue that it is very distracting when you drive. Even the 6000k bulbs are pretty bad. The 4300k bulbs put you on the same level as many of the cars that come stock with HID headlights. Aside from all these new cars with the LED bulbs, they've used 4300k bulbs as factory bulbs for years. Plenty bright, even on the 1992 that has the worst headlight configuration IMO. I have a feeling they did some updating in 96 or 97 to how the bulb was reflected inside. But when I added the 4300k bulbs on the 92, it was unbelievable, in a good way.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE just bought an SC400