SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NEWBIE just bought an SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 08:56 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Beautiful car, SC400Zulu. Those '98-02 GS400/430 wheels look good on practically any older Lexus model.
Old 12-07-14, 01:46 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always nice to see another 98+ owner. Nice looking car, you're gonna love it!
Old 12-08-14, 12:53 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Always nice to see another 98+ owner. Nice looking car, you're gonna love it!

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Beautiful car, SC400Zulu. Those '98-02 GS400/430 wheels look good on practically any older Lexus model.
Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback. Sorry for taking so long with pics and vids. I bought some wax and wheel cleaner/tire shine, so as soon aw she's shiny, I will do a parking lot video.

ALSO, do any of you gentleman know how many 98 Sc4's where made in my Red Metallic Color?
Old 12-08-14, 01:00 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigwes
very nice find my friend. very clean. what type of wheels do you plan on putting on the car
Can someone Photoshop some wheels? The winner will see the new wheels installed as soon as they arrive. I still have a few grand left in my customizing budget.

Wheels, Double Din Kit, Pioneer 7", new speakers all around (has a clipping sound when the bass it turned up), HID'S for all lights, including fog and high beams. HID'S are on the first light setting, which isn't bright enough for night driving .
Old 12-09-14, 02:08 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Worst nightmare come true.

#Trapped
Old 12-09-14, 04:13 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope! Worst nightmare is when the guy in the rear scrapes deep grooves in your bumper getting out of that space like they do in NYC. That's just a bad dream.
Old 12-09-14, 04:19 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Can someone Photoshop some wheels? The winner will see the new wheels installed as soon as they arrive. I still have a few grand left in my customizing budget.

Wheels, Double Din Kit, Pioneer 7", new speakers all around (has a clipping sound when the bass it turned up), HID'S for all lights, including fog and high beams. HID'S are on the first light setting, which isn't bright enough for night driving .
Unless 98 is different, there is only one light setting for low beams. The last setting is automatic lights that come on when it is dark enough. The one before is just "on". They should be equal in brightness. If you can't see with your HID kit, you likely purchased the high temperature "tuner" bulbs. Replace them with 4300K bulbs. They put out the most bright, white light (highest lumens) by far.
Good Luck
Old 12-09-14, 03:23 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Welcome Zulu. Where in Chicago are you? I'm out in Prospect Heights. about 15 min north of O'hare.
You got a good deal on the car. You won't lose any money. I think you should always be able to sell the Sc for at least what you paid for it if not more.
And someone posted earlier that you did get the best version of the SC although they all are really good cars.

Are those GS400 wheels you have on the car now?
Looks nice.
Bob
Old 12-10-14, 12:30 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Welcome Zulu. Where in Chicago are you? I'm out in Prospect Heights. about 15 min north of O'hare.
You got a good deal on the car. You won't lose any money. I think you should always be able to sell the Sc for at least what you paid for it if not more.
And someone posted earlier that you did get the best version of the SC although they all are really good cars.

Are those GS400 wheels you have on the car now?
Looks nice.
Bob
Yes they are. They look nice, so maybe waiting until I move is best before changing them. The winters here aren't friendly to nice cars. Atlanta provides a 2car garage for the price I pay over here on 67th Street. I'm RIGHT OFF Lakeshore Drive

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Unless 98 is different, there is only one light setting for low beams. The last setting is automatic lights that come on when it is dark enough. The one before is just "on". They should be equal in brightness. If you can't see with your HID kit, you likely purchased the high temperature "tuner" bulbs. Replace them with 4300K bulbs. They put out the most bright, white light (highest lumens) by far.
Good Luck
That first click notch turns on on the HID's, but it's the lights that come on at the corners and also what illuminates the dash and console lights. The next click turns on these whitefish lights I use at night. The other notch I believe turns in the HB's that are separate from the main lights (those isolated round lamps). The other controls must be the fogs, which I also want to HID. I've decided to go 12000K for the fogs & 6000k for the low and HB's.
Old 12-10-14, 12:43 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

I also need some advice on new speakers. I hear pops at high volumes, so I know I need new speakers.

Also need to know if this site is OK, to purchase my HID kit. Or would Pep Boys/Auto Zone be able to do the work? I'd rather take it in and have it done same day. So tints, speakers, double din kit. These will be done next week. http://www.hidsrus.com/lexus-sc400-hid-kit-hid-lights/
Old 12-10-14, 01:03 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Speakers will be up to you, there are tones of options, cant really go wrong with anything.

As for HID's, most people on the forum go with DDM Tuning kits. If you search for them you'll see a buncha threads about them (including one of my own). They're really cheap, but last a long time.

..I would stay away from Pep Boys or AutoZone at all costs for anything outside of super basic stuff.
Old 12-10-14, 01:19 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Speakers will be up to you, there are tones of options, cant really go wrong with anything.

As for HID's, most people on the forum go with DDM Tuning kits. If you search for them you'll see a buncha threads about them (including one of my own). They're really cheap, but last a long time.

..I would stay away from Pep Boys or AutoZone at all costs for anything outside of super basic stuff.
I guess the real question is, what are the speaker sizes for front a rear? Then I can order them asap.

And is DDM a plug and play? I know there's slim balasts and thicker ones. I don't want to just start ordering on some trigger happy ish, then have to return stuff.
Old 12-10-14, 01:28 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Yea DDM is plug and play. Here's my thread, I list exactly what you need to buy..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-options.html
Old 12-10-14, 12:53 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

Welcome

I would change a transmission mount... it will improve your car ride...
Old 12-11-14, 03:36 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by miraluna
Welcome

I would change a transmission mount... it will improve your car ride...

Quick wash. Just needs a wax. Will be repainting in the summer.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE just bought an SC400