SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Airbag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-14, 08:12 AM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Airbag Removal

Hey, recently got into an altercation with a Deer on the country roads and I need some help trying to pick up the pieces.

The car is perfectly drivable, but it just needs new Airbags, and I don't know how to remove the deployed ones.

Does anybody know how to remove the Passenger airbag from the dash? do I have to disassemble the entire dash to get to it? I also need to know how to take apart the Steering wheel's airbag. This one is seemingly straightforward, remove the two screws on the sides and pop it out, but is there a more comprehensive guide to doing it?

Finally, should I just take it to a mechanic to have the airbags replaced, or should I do it myself. I've been told airbag replacements will run me about 2k for both airbags but I can bet they'll charge me even more for labor. Could I just take an RX or GS' airbags and swap them into the steering wheel?
Old 11-26-14, 08:37 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

The passenger side airbag comes out once you remove the glovebox, which requires removing a few panels below it. You'll want to look up instructions for all the steps to do so. I think the wood trim restoration thread had a good series of steps.

The drivers side is as simple as you said, just remove the side screws and pull it out. You'll probably need to cut a ground (?) wire soldered to the hub, but yours might be one of the ones that are screwed down with a little bracket.

I have my steering wheel airbag sitting in the garage for no purpose other than if I ever return the car to stock... I can hook you up for a lot less than $2k. I imagine you can find the pass. side one on eBay or one of the CL parts vendors, as well. I'm guessing mechanics are required to use new airbags due to the liability of used safety equipment. Ditto for insurance adjusters... If they could use used airbags, there'd be a lot fewer totaled cars!
Old 11-26-14, 08:48 AM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by t2d2
The passenger side airbag comes out once you remove the glovebox, which requires removing a few panels below it. You'll want to look up instructions for all the steps to do so. I think the wood trim restoration thread had a good series of steps.

The drivers side is as simple as you said, just remove the side screws and pull it out. You'll probably need to cut a ground (?) wire soldered to the hub, but yours might be one of the ones that are screwed down with a little bracket.

I have my steering wheel airbag sitting in the garage for no purpose other than if I ever return the car to stock... I can hook you up for a lot less than $2k. I imagine you can find the pass. side one on eBay or one of the CL parts vendors, as well. I'm guessing mechanics are required to use new airbags due to the liability of used safety equipment. Ditto for insurance adjusters... If they could use used airbags, there'd be a lot fewer totaled cars!
Great, thanks. How do I determine which are soldered and which ones are screwed in? It's a 2000 model. So much agreement on the Last line. Totaling a car is just the insurance companies' way of weaseling out of paying for repairs. How much would you be offering the Driver airbag for, and what color is the cover? Thanks again
Old 11-26-14, 08:53 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

If it's a 2000, you probably have the newer 3-spoke wheel? In which case, my old airbag wouldn't work for you.

I don't remember exactly which one was soldered, and actually, it might have been the cruise control stalks and not the airbags that I'm remembering having to cut one and unscrew the other... At any rate, it'll be obvious as soon as you pull the airbag out if there's something beyond just the plug to the clockspring to disconnect.
Old 11-27-14, 07:58 AM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

(sorry for the late reply) Ah, thanks anyway, I can't take it apart until I get a new part in however, so i'll find out then. Can anyone still answer the RX300 question though? I'm looking everywhere and all I am finding airbags for is 92-97 models, but there is more airbags for the RX that seem to match the 3 Spoke pattern. Would the connectors work and would it fit at all or should I keep looking. Any help would be appreciated, want to get my baby in presentable condition again!
Old 11-27-14, 09:20 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Any factory 3-spoke wheel in the '98-00 (or maybe '98-01) will match the single-stage airbag connectors, but you still have the issue of airbag dimensions. I think they're the same across a few different models, but I can't swear to it. I know I've seen it discussed in the forums previously.

You might actually find it quicker or easier to buy a "new" wheel/airbag combo out of a RX300 (what mine is from) or something, swap the entire set over, then sell off your wheel to someone wanting to spend the time looking for compatible pieces. Your net cost should be similar either way.
Old 11-27-14, 11:58 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

You can also use a wheel and airbag set up from the 01-05 IS300. Will bolt up when used with the adapter. Check in the DIY section here for the instructions. I have a wood grain wheel and airbag from a RX300 in my car, perfect fit and no issues.
Old 10-06-18, 06:56 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To remove the Passenger or Driver Airbag, need to Google the SRS Airbag system for the Vehicle model. A comprehensive many paged manual will be suggested in .pdf. Download and get the details to replace your Front Airbags. Good Luck with it.