SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear Turbo Build SC400

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 12:58 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Turbo Build SC400

Hello to all of the SC Family. I recently (August) purchased a 1992 SC400 with 89xxx on it. I bought it from an old lady who only drove it to church for the last 23 years. Its been well maintained and runs great, but I want more. It seems like a pretty tough engine from what Ive taken apart so far, and from everything I'm reading. Im plannng on going FI with it, but there seems to be a lack of any sort of "way to do it". It seems to require moving batteries and fabricating manifolds, which is beyond my skill level and budget. So after some thinking, Ive decided to try and do a rear mount, or remote turbo setup. This will allow me to keep my cats (to pass emissions), not clutter my engine bay, and keep the car looking somewhat stock (I have a sleeper obsession). Ive got most of the parts on a list, but I need help with an ECU of some sort and injectors.

List (So Far):
STS Kit (Oiling Kit, BOV, and adjustable wastgate)
Boost Meter
Turbonetics T3 Turbo
Turbonetics Heat Shield

Im going to also need custom exhaust work, but wont need an intercooler (I think) as long as I used finned aluminum piping. If anyone has anything I should add to the list please tell me. And If anyone has done this tell me because from what I can see this would be a first.
Old 11-08-14, 07:14 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's been bandied about for the past ten years. Drift Girl did one to her car, and here's a good read:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ear-mount.html

Let me know how you make out, I could be interested to learn stuff.
Old 11-10-14, 03:49 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Photon440
It's been bandied about for the past ten years. Drift Girl did one to her car, and here's a good read:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ear-mount.html

Let me know how you make out, I could be interested to learn stuff.
I read what you recommended and did some other web surfing and found out some interesting facts. This has been done only a handful of times, but there are SC400's running on 5.5 psi and a stock ECU and making 300whp. Which is like 40% more than what the stock car has. And considering I just replaced my 23 year old ECU for 900$ this seems like a great idea, and it almost seems too easy. I cant see why this isn't done more often., because 300whp sounds like a lot of to me
Old 11-10-14, 04:12 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

all i can say is llllaaaaaggggggg, but these are always fun. good luck!
Old 11-10-14, 04:30 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldManTan
all i can say is llllaaaaaggggggg, but these are always fun. good luck!
I love your setup bro, it sounds sweet. As for the lag, rear turbos have less lag than conventional turbos because the exhaust gas is both denser and at higher volume at the end of the exhaust system than it would be in a conventional setup in the engine bay, making the turbo spool faster at lower RPMs. Which means less time for the NA racers to feel like they have a fast car!! haha
Old 11-10-14, 04:39 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you really should do is looking into doing a 2UZ swap in the SC from the 4runner V8. A lot of guys over on the truck forums are pusing above 300hp. There is one guy (trying to find the thread) that is pushing 350 hp and 400 torque on 7 psi.

Im sure you can even look into Hybrid engines like using the 2UZ lower block with the 1UZ heads and boost on the lower compression. I'm sure you can boost up to 10 psi on a 9:6:1 compression
Old 11-10-14, 04:57 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
What you really should do is looking into doing a 2UZ swap in the SC from the 4runner V8. A lot of guys over on the truck forums are pusing above 300hp. There is one guy (trying to find the thread) that is pushing 350 hp and 400 torque on 7 psi.

Im sure you can even look into Hybrid engines like using the 2UZ lower block with the 1UZ heads and boost on the lower compression. I'm sure you can boost up to 10 psi on a 9:6:1 compression
Agreed, those motors better lend themselves to boost, but with my high school budget and weekend job, I only can spare so much. I have gas, tires, oil, and all of that lovely stuff to pay for too haha. But thats definitely where Id head after initially installing a turbo. Itd be pretty easy to do later as the turbo would essentially be a separate system.
Old 11-10-14, 05:25 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually the 2uz would be a bad idea, they have pencil thin rods and if you wanted to swap the block you'd have to get custom pistons to clear the valves in the 1uz heads. If you wanted to swap the entire motor you'd have to rewire everything.

If you want a good set up for 300 whp + hp I would recommend you do the following:

315cc injectors (the ecu will relearn to trim the fuel if you reset it before hand and give it a few minutes of driving around)
Cometic head gaskets to lower the compression (perfect time to perform the belt service on your car if it hasn't been done) (arp headstuds optional)
Supra turbo denso fuel pump
Big a** trans cooler

With all of that you might even be able to squeeze 350 whp out of the 1uz. The stock ecus are extremely forgiving to boost so long as you keep all the sensors in place.
Old 11-11-14, 11:57 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

What kind of big a** trans cooler? Ive already replaced my head gasket and dont feel like buying another one....would it really be that necessary?
Old 11-11-14, 12:54 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
Actually the 2uz would be a bad idea, they have pencil thin rods and if you wanted to swap the block you'd have to get custom pistons to clear the valves in the 1uz heads. If you wanted to swap the entire motor you'd have to rewire everything.

If you want a good set up for 300 whp + hp I would recommend you do the following:

315cc injectors (the ecu will relearn to trim the fuel if you reset it before hand and give it a few minutes of driving around)
Cometic head gaskets to lower the compression (perfect time to perform the belt service on your car if it hasn't been done) (arp headstuds optional)
Supra turbo denso fuel pump
Big a** trans cooler

With all of that you might even be able to squeeze 350 whp out of the 1uz. The stock ecus are extremely forgiving to boost so long as you keep all the sensors in place.
Thats true but I think the 2UZ (pre 2004) is interchangable with the 1UZ (Post 1996) so it wouldnt be a hard swap. At least to my knowledge after doing a quick search. Still the UZ has tons of potential.

I would also check out http://www.lextreme.com/sct.html as this guy has the complete DIY guide to get the SC400 V8 turbo at about 680 HP which is a lot of potential. The guide isn't free though which sucks
Old 11-11-14, 02:24 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Black1UZ
What kind of big a** trans cooler? Ive already replaced my head gasket and dont feel like buying another one....would it really be that necessary?
Any universal trans cooler will work, and no you don't have to change the headgasket but it will make room for a lot more boost. It would be the difference in 300whp being your peak and 350whp being a mild tune. It's up to how far you want to go. If you dont want to replace the headgaskets, then you can dial in a nice 6-7 psi and keep the stock injectors.
Old 11-11-14, 05:48 PM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Any universal trans cooler will work, and no you don't have to change the headgasket but it will make room for a lot more boost. It would be the difference in 300whp being your peak and 350whp being a mild tune. It's up to how far you want to go. If you dont want to replace the headgaskets, then you can dial in a nice 6-7 psi and keep the stock injectors.
Thats probably what I'll do for now, and as I have more time and hopefully a better job I'll continue the build. Also if any has/knows where to find a cheap turbo, I'd love to know. It doesnt have to be new...just not destroyed.
Old 11-11-14, 06:02 PM
njwong
Rookie

Here's a cool built of a guy in Australia who put the turbo in the spare tire well.

http://www.boostcruising.com.au/advi...Soarer-V8.html
Old 11-11-14, 06:26 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Check out a holset hx40. They work really well with the 1uz. That or you could get an hx35 it will spool better which might counter any loss of reaction time in the rear mount. On the whole subject of rear mount: you would probably be better off just making a front mount turbo. You don't actually have to fab up manifolds, you can just flip the factory ones and build a y pipe. Battery relocation isn't really that hard to do. Oil wise, i'd rather rely on the motor's oil pump then have to worry about an electric pump shorting out mid pull and cooking my turbo. Or you could do a low mount twin turbo set up with something like wrx td04 turbos. they're a dime a dozen and tiny. two of those would match really well to the car. Rear mount just seems like the same if not more work and money for a lot less performance.
Old 11-12-14, 08:34 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Check out a holset hx40. They work really well with the 1uz. That or you could get an hx35 it will spool better which might counter any loss of reaction time in the rear mount. On the whole subject of rear mount: you would probably be better off just making a front mount turbo. You don't actually have to fab up manifolds, you can just flip the factory ones and build a y pipe. Battery relocation isn't really that hard to do. Oil wise, i'd rather rely on the motor's oil pump then have to worry about an electric pump shorting out mid pull and cooking my turbo. Or you could do a low mount twin turbo set up with something like wrx td04 turbos. they're a dime a dozen and tiny. two of those would match really well to the car. Rear mount just seems like the same if not more work and money for a lot less performance.
I hear what youre saying, but with front mount turbos, Intercoolers are a must, and that is money that I dont have, and a rear mount setup doesnt require one so thats automatically better in my mind. Also, the SC400 already has a cramped engine bay, and anything I can do to keep it as uncluttered as possible is good. And rear mount wont require a turbo timer to allow the turbo to cool which means less overall cost

Quick Reply: Rear Turbo Build SC400