SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1jz or 1jz vvti?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 08:02 AM
MumRah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz or 1jz vvti?

alright guys here´s my issue i have a 93 toyota soarer with its stock 1jz twin turbo engine auto transmission but it just so happened whe i went out to purchase my 1jz 5 gear tranny my engine started over heating shutting off long story short my block is in a better place now! well i need a new motor but not quite sure of which to go with either the stock 1jz i had with a mec. tranny or a more modern 1jz VVTi mind you this is a drifting project.So if you guys can give your 2 cents i´d be a happy camper
Old 05-22-11, 10:12 AM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

power goals?
budget?
credit card number?
ssc#?
Old 05-22-11, 01:53 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming the head is still good you could find a local 2jzge block for more torque.
Old 05-23-11, 07:13 AM
MumRah
Rookie

ryan didnt really think of that sounds agressive def. goin look into that THANX!! Mr griffin budget as any drifter LOW jaja not really maybe around 2 to mayb 4 grand thats countin on how my sponsor will respond meaning my wife -__-
Old 05-23-11, 07:21 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Yeah buddy, motor swappin on a budget!
Old 05-23-11, 07:31 AM
MumRah
Rookie

jajajaa @KikCaffine i kno it sucks a&$ big time i think is a more efficient way of swapping lol cuz if u got the money to blow u wouldnt really pay as much detail to it as if u wuld knowing ur goin to be scr#$ed if this wont work no more cash jajaja
Old 05-23-11, 07:43 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Just put the stock 1j back in it with a single and roll with that.
Old 05-23-11, 07:54 AM
MumRah
Rookie

thats what one of my tuner says and keep whatever parts are good from the old one and have back ups..
Old 05-23-11, 08:58 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

If the bottom end is shot, just get a 2j bottom and make a 1.5 j.
Old 05-23-11, 09:43 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by MumRah
alright guys here´s my issue i have a 93 toyota soarer with its stock 1jz twin turbo engine auto transmission but it just so happened whe i went out to purchase my 1jz 5 gear tranny my engine started over heating shutting off long story short my block is in a better place now! well i need a new motor but not quite sure of which to go with either the stock 1jz i had with a mec. tranny or a more modern 1jz VVTi mind you this is a drifting project.So if you guys can give your 2 cents i´d be a happy camper
VVT-i is superior in every way, not to mention the fact that your engine will be much newer than an old dusty 1JZ non-VVT-i engine. You will want to do some research to see what you have to do to make it link up with your current setup.
Old 05-23-11, 10:09 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bmsc300
VVT-i is superior in every way, not to mention the fact that your engine will be much newer than an old dusty 1JZ non-VVT-i engine. You will want to do some research to see what you have to do to make it link up with your current setup.
^^^^ this is not true, we can all look at the specs and see that yes it has 400 Ft lbs at 2400 RPM but the Tune-ability and secondary market for parts is limited. Maybe i dont know what im talking about i only have 2 of these.
Power is power. The VVti has a single, Take the Twins off the 1jzgte and make single,,,,, Holy Crap you have 400 ftlbs welcome to the real world. any 1j 2j with a decint size single should support this power goal. just get the regular 1J or do the 1.5J conversion. BTW my raceteam manager just bought himslef a VVTi so we will see how it turns out. Hes not going to do anything to it but run it hard in a drift car.

1.5 J = Good
1jzgte = Good
1jzgte vvti = Good
Just dont try and feed poeple bullcrap about superiority or we would all be rolling VVTI
Old 05-23-11, 10:35 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Triple C
^^^^ this is not true, we can all look at the specs and see that yes it has 400 Ft lbs at 2400 RPM but the Tune-ability and secondary market for parts is limited. Maybe i dont know what im talking about i only have 2 of these.
Power is power. The VVti has a single, Take the Twins off the 1jzgte and make single,,,,, Holy Crap you have 400 ftlbs welcome to the real world. any 1j 2j with a decint size single should support this power goal. just get the regular 1J or do the 1.5J conversion. BTW my raceteam manager just bought himslef a VVTi so we will see how it turns out. Hes not going to do anything to it but run it hard in a drift car.

1.5 J = Good
1jzgte = Good
1jzgte vvti = Good
Just dont try and feed poeple bullcrap about superiority or we would all be rolling VVTI
1jz great motor old but can be revived to hold. Limits if once you go single you get lag. Nothing saving you there

1.5jz great motor built or not. Limit once you open the motor you will start building it and mess up your budget.

1jz vvti great motor. You will have a more spool responsive motor rather you upgrade turbo our not. Downside is the price and tuning.
Old 05-23-11, 01:01 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple C

1.5 J = Good
1jzgte = Good
1jzgte vvti = Good
I suggest you read the following website. CLICK Unless the website is lying it's quite clear that a large fraction of the gains are from VVT-i.

AEM can support VVT-i.
Titan Motorsports makes VVT-i cams.

Tuning and cam availability are the two biggest issues with going ***** to the wall on the VVT-is. I suspect once more companies follow suit and start supporting VVT-i we'll see more builds. Aftermarket suppliers will have to because most modern engines are now coming with VVT-i.

1JZ-GTE = Good for it's purpose
1JZ-GTE VVT-I = Better
1.5JZ = Bad Idea. Higher displacement of the 2JZ offset by lower flow capacity of the 1JZ & by lower rev capacity of the 2JZ.
Old 05-23-11, 01:09 PM
1jzgte603
Rookie

Single turbo 1jzgte
Old 05-23-11, 01:16 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by account2x

1.5JZ = Bad Idea. Higher displacement of the 2JZ offset by lower flow capacity of the 1JZ & by lower rev capacity of the 2JZ.
Feel free to explain this? I say that because I'm completing my 1.5jz. others on this forum and many other forums would disagree with the bad idea statement.

Quick Reply: 1jz or 1jz vvti?